You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Average Age of Pharmacy Student
Started by TheHillCrew
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
'Twas 21 at my school
My class was average age 23.5 when we started. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2007- 26
2008- 26
2009 - 27
2008- 26
2009 - 27
^Good lord...did a bottle of Geritol come included in the tuition fee?
I couldn't fathom a pharmacy school class that.....old.
I couldn't fathom a pharmacy school class that.....old.
^Good lord...did a bottle of Geritol come included in the tuition fee?
I couldn't fathom a pharmacy school class that.....old.
Like diggin' holes, do ya?!? J/K (but I'll bet the "old" folks outnumber you in these parts)
'Twas 21 at my school
I should have applied to WVU (even though that might not be the case now). From my experience, it seems young people are frowned upon these days.
I think the direction they are going is ******ed. If you can get all of the prepharmacy work done all crammed in two years and have greater than a 3.5 GPA, you have proven yourself far better than someone who has a bachelors filled with tons of great GPA pick-me-up classes. (I'm aware that's not always the case before the inevitable retort comes forth.)
That always just annoyed me. "Yeah, I have a 3.4, too. But *I* have a BS, that gives me the advantage!" Screw that, you took 4 PE classes. My easiest classes were the easier prereqs like speech and English that you had to take, too. I don't take no charity...because charity would have held me back a year or two. Screw that, just blaze through it like your hair is on fire. But that's just me....and I'll be 24 with a doctorate really soon, too. The wife will be 23 when she graduates with her PharmD in '09. It's really freakin' weird to think about. We'll be rather well off in a trendy loft in the culture district of some city by the time some people are just starting out at other schools...still livin' off of ramen.
That always just annoyed me. "Yeah, I have a 3.4, too. But *I* have a BS, that gives me the advantage!" Screw that, you took 4 PE classes. My easiest classes were the easier prereqs like speech and English that you had to take, too. I don't take no charity...because charity would have held me back a year or two. Screw that, just blaze through it like your hair is on fire. But that's just me....and I'll be 24 with a doctorate really soon, too. The wife will be 23 when she graduates with her PharmD in '09. It's really freakin' weird to think about. We'll be rather well off in a trendy loft in the culture district of some city by the time some people are just starting out at other schools...still livin' off of ramen.
I should have applied to WVU (even though that might not be the case now). From my experience, it seems young people are frowned upon these days.
From the people I've seen it was 21 or 22..MAYBE 23 again for the last class. And you should want to go to WVU because its awesome anyway.
I am one of the youngn's in my class actually--- 24 at graduation, 21 when I started. It's weird to have someone sitting next to you who has kids your age. I got used to it. There are a good # my age and then there are lots in their 40's
A lady in my class in going to Pharmacy School just for the money. She's been in a medical career for many years, but now she's willing to go back just so that she can make more money before she retires in 15-20 years! I hope she's got a good plan for paying off loans and establishing a 401k.
I can't wait to see where everyone ends up when we graduate...
I can't wait to see where everyone ends up when we graduate...
From the people I've seen it was 21 or 22..MAYBE 23 again for the last class. And you should want to go to WVU because its awesome anyway.
I thought I read a long time ago that they screwed you over big time. Must have been someone else.
there's no pre-pharm at ACP...it's all rolled into one.
so, when i started i was 19 [went somewhere else for a year after high school] and graduated at 25.
everyone else in my class was a year younger than that; we did have a lot of adult learners, though. returning to change careers, etc.
so, when i started i was 19 [went somewhere else for a year after high school] and graduated at 25.
everyone else in my class was a year younger than that; we did have a lot of adult learners, though. returning to change careers, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would guess that at the UF St Pete campus that it averaged around 30. I was the 2nd oldest at 46. The youngest was 20. Most were married with kids and this was a career change. It's not like we weren't earning money before then, we just wanted a different lifestyle.
I thought I read a long time ago that they screwed you over big time. Must have been someone else.
I screwed myself over....though with the help of a psychotic professor.
After numerous other students complained about her for other instances of idiocy, they took all of her students off of her rotation. She got pissed and resigned. That's good enough for me. So, hey, the school and me are cool now.
And WVU is awesome because it's WVU. Like the school as a whole, not just the SoP.
Mine was 25. Emotional maturity seems to be a big part of acceptance to our pharmacy school these days. From my experience, the more emotionally mature students can balance home and school work, as well as participate in extra curricular activities and are student leaders.
MCP-worcester: Avg age when I started was 27 or 28. I am one of the youngest, just graduated and only 22.
There are ranges by school on the AACP webpage, in case anyone is curious.
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6863_Tab8PSAR.pdf
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6863_Tab8PSAR.pdf
I will be 22 when I graduate. But I am the youngest in my class! We have a good mixture of ages, from me to people in their 40s!
I don't think there is anyone over 40 in my class. But there is this one really young chick. 😉
I will be 22 when I graduate. But I am the youngest in my class! We have a good mixture of ages, from me to people in their 40s!
As excited as I would be to have graduated at your age, do you have any age-related bias when dealing with patients and other pharmacists?
Obviously, how one presents him or herself is the bulk of it but at some point, age must come up?
As excited as I would be to have graduated at your age, do you have any age-related bias when dealing with patients and other pharmacists?
Obviously, how one presents him or herself is the bulk of it but at some point, age must come up?
I am curious about this also. I'll be 24....not as young as 22 but close. What about you WVU? Has your age come up during your rotations?
Age not as much as how old I *look*. Whenever I let my hair go and get all curly and wavy for a bit, people seriously think I'm in high school. I get carded trying to get into 18 and over "establishments". When I have really short (i.e. buzzed) hair, I look older. My angular jaw kinda comes out more and I look older. But I still just look like an *older* teenager. In fact, I still don't shave and I've grown an inch over the last year. Eventually, I fully plan on giving off the appearance of an adult.
Based on THAT, I get some problems. But if people thought I was 24, I would get less crap probably - because my classmates that are 24 (and look 24) don't get any guff now that they are in their "real" jobs.
Based on THAT, I get some problems. But if people thought I was 24, I would get less crap probably - because my classmates that are 24 (and look 24) don't get any guff now that they are in their "real" jobs.
My class at MCP-W now our average age is about 28 they told us. We have quite a lot of students in their mid to upper 30's and 40's. We are diverse, but I love it 🙂 I will be 25 when I graduate...A lot of us have bachelors degrees first also, so I think that makes a difference, only a few students came in after 2 years of pre-reqs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Average age for 1st years at UF in Orlando was about 24. Youngest was 20...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K