Average age population applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaidenX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a 26 yrs old nursing student. I graduate May of 06 and I'm in the process of applying to Ross and SGU for September of 2006 class. I'll be 27 when I start and I was wondering if there are other non-traditional/older students such as myself who are either in medical school now or in the process of applying. This is specifically geared toward the carribbean medical schools. I guess I am just curious what type of age population I will be around when I start medical school. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

GaidenX said:
Hi I am a 26 yrs old nursing student. I graduate May of 06 and I'm in the process of applying to Ross and SGU for September of 2006 class. I'll be 27 when I start and I was wondering if there are other non-traditional/older students such as myself who are either in medical school now or in the process of applying. This is specifically geared toward the carribbean medical schools. I guess I am just curious what type of age population I will be around when I start medical school. Thanks :)

I am also 26 and I'll be starting in January at SGU. I know that SGU actually had a student start this August that is 54 years old! I think I saw somewhere that 26 is actually the average age of a first year medical student.

Apparently the average age is mid to late 20s. I might be wrong but this is due to many Caribbean students being career-switchers.

Members don't see this ad :)
GaidenX said:

When does school start in the fall? I thought most medical schools start in early August? Do carribean schools start September? I am asking this question bc i may have to take 1 course this summer.