average age to start IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barcamdphd21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the average age of doctors when they start IM residency?

I will be around 31 by the time I start residency and I am thinking that might be too old.

Members don't see this ad.

21? No. A lot of people graduate med school around 24-25 and start residency the year after. There are a fair number of people older than that every year. 31 is definitely not too old.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is that "too" old? older than average, sure, but it's not like 31 is half-dead.

you can't change how old you're going to be, might as well do what you enjoy doing.

The median and mode ages are likely still close to 26 (18+4 of college+4 of med school), though the mean age is probably higher b/c of the rightward skew to the distribution (there's a hell of a lot more 30 year olds than 22 year olds graduating med school. Much less 34 vs 18)

Isn't the average age of first year med students closer to 24 these days? I'd say most people graduate and start residency at 28/29

yah, 31 for starting residency is probably more common than you would think.

Does it really matter if you're "on time" or not? If you make it that far, all you should be worried about it making it through residency and hopefully starting a good life for yourself, just like the rest of your colleagues.

I'm starting med school at 27 too. I feel a hell of a lot better now than I did as a 23-year-old with a bachelor's degree and no prospects, that's for sure. I'm also a vastly better student after my postbac. No idea if your story is anything like mine but there's nothing to gain from beating yourself up over a few years.

Now what sucks is if you inherit your father's prematurely-gray gene... :rolleyes:

what is the average age of doctors when they start IM residency?

I will be around 31 by the time I start residency and I am thinking that might be too old.

There are people who start med school at 31.

30 is the new 20.

Cool. I am the 1%.
I am the 99%!!!11eleven!1!

Down with the 1%!!!!!

Occupy all the med schools!!!one1!!

10644633.jpg

It seems like only about a third of my entering MD class is "traditional". It feels weird to be in the minority. I remember I was the only straight outta college student at my interview day there as well.

The "mean, median or average" age numbers are skewed by having just several "non-traditionals" in the mix. MOST, in numbers, of MS1s are 22 years-old.

30 is DEFINITELY the new 20.

I love being 20 something though... it's a lot of fun :)

You will not be too old at age 31, you'll be just fine. Keep in mind that some of your chief residents may be "younger" than you... some people might have a problem with that.

30 is DEFINITELY the new 20.

I love being 20 something though... it's a lot of fun :)

You will not be too old at age 31, you'll be just fine. Keep in mind that some of your chief residents may be "younger" than you... some people might have a problem with that.

So did they get "facelifts" or what? :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user