average annual job opening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the average # of annual job opening in Georgia is 340. with 5 pharmacy schools in that state, each school gets 68 students to land a job there. what happen to the rest of the students in those 120+ class size? Virginia and Pennsylvania has "below" 300 job opening each. how are ppl surviving in this saturated market with 140k+ loans ? is everyone just flooding to Cali where the job opening is 4-5 times greater?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you getting those numbers for average annual job openings?

California also has 14 or so schools, 5 of them haven't graduated a class yet... I am not too sure about the 4-5 times more job openings than you list

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wondering how they are calculating their data. Probably borrowed the ouija board from Manpower

I counted about 300 job postings in California. The real number of openings is probably a fraction of that since many of the postings are either duplicates, those that have been already filled internally, or per diem positions.

Now throw in the fact that the number of new grads each year will increase sharply by 60-70% as the new schools graduate their first classes in 2018-2019.

Last edited:
My observation is that even jobs that used to have very high turnover are having less turnover due to employee just unable to find another job/better job to transition to. In my area, a lot of the older pharmacists have gone from chains to independents. It's hard to find a pharmacist over 45 years of age working for a chain in my area. Also, the job market for working at independent really dried up.

I can't wait for PAtoPharmtoPA to chime in.

Reactions: 1 users
Where are you getting your numbers from? I can tell you that the last time CVS did an internal audit of their workforce (hired Accenture, I think) they themselves had a hard time figuring out payroll to know who were pharmacists or not much less write down gains and losses. When we worked on the POWER initiative in Walgreens, there was that as a problem as well that getting an accurate pharmacist census per store and hours were not easy (so, it wasn't hard to get the current store hours, but DM's and stores had differing numbers and no one retained their historical hours officially).

If CVS and Walgreens don't know their own vacancy rates and are major players in most pharmacy markets, I'm curious on how you get exact numbers on annually open positions except PIC changes which are usually kept by the Board?

Reactions: 1 user
OK, I am reading that as the # of NEW pharmacist positions opening up, not counting pharmacist positions that already existed (but which may have a new pharmacist in them because the previous pharmacist quit/died/was fired/took a different position/reduced hours/etc.

So the low numbers aren't surprising, for the most part, societies have as many pharmacist as they need, there aren't *new* pharmacist positions opening up. But there is still turnover on the already existing positions. Now what would be alarming is a decrease in the number of pharmacy positions available, because society has decided the have too many pharmacists and need to get cut their positions.