Average Board Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a resource that lists the average board score for various specialties without any luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school may have such a resource I know mine does. Also you can post in some of the forums and get an answer. Here are a few I know.

1) EM - right around the national average of 217
2) Ortho- around 230
3) NeuroSurg - 238 Also for many of the early match fields you can get this info from the web site. Just do a google search for either early match or San francisco match.
4) IM - about 220 for a good program
5) OB/GYN I think the average is around 207
6) Neuro around 207

The average for people matching into neuro this year was 217 (average for unmatched was 211). That's all I know...

EctopicFetus said:
Your school may have such a resource I know mine does. Also you can post in some of the forums and get an answer. Here are a few I know.

1) EM - right around the national average of 217
2) Ortho- around 230
3) NeuroSurg - 238 Also for many of the early match fields you can get this info from the web site. Just do a google search for either early match or San francisco match.
4) IM - about 220 for a good program
5) OB/GYN I think the average is around 207
6) Neuro around 207

7) Derm - roughly 245 (but you'll hear 260+!)
8) Ophtho - 230 (I can't recall this year's exact stats)
9) Anes - right around nat'l average - 215 or so
10) ENT - 236 or so usually
11) Integrated Plastics - I would assume to be the highest (245+?)

Note: Besides the SF Match stats for Neuro, ENT, Ophtho, NSurg, and Integrated Plastics, everything else is speculation

U4iA said:
I have been looking for a resource that lists the average board score for various specialties without any luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The sfmatch gives that information out every year. So you can find this information for all of the early match specialties (ENT, neuro, ophtho, etc). I'm not sure if the NRMP publishes it though. The national average matching board score for ophtho was around 229 this year, and the avg unmatched board score was 213.

U4iA said:
You might consider contacting your administration for some useful data. (The data will be, of course, specific to your school and subject to the usual caveats about generalizability.) For example, the University of North Carolina keeps similar data on their students:

Specialty, Mean USMLE Step 1 (No. Students Matched)
General Surg, 213 (10)
Ortho, 229 (6)
Rads/Rad-Onc, 232 (6)
Neurosurg/ENT/Uro, 232 (6)
Anesthesia, 210 (7)
Emergency, 221 (7)
Family Med, 214 (15)
Internal Med, 223 (22)
Peds, 220 (21)
Psych, 216 (9)
Ob/Gyn, 216 (17)​

(The data above apply to the UNC Class of 2002.)

My school has similar stats. The thing is you have to be careful mostly because each school has a real small sample size and one real good or one real bad score can totally skew the numbers. For example someone at my school matched (at least according to our school into Derm with like a 190 or something), obviously this person had some crazy connections and as such skewed the Derm numbers.

As far as the UNC info, it all looks good except OB Psych FP and IM are all high compared to the national average. One other thing to consider is you could match into IM with a 185 or so. The thing is if you want to end up at a top notch place you need to do much better.