Average DAT, decent PAT. Any schools use PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching my list of schools for my application. I have a 19 DAT and an average GPA, so my only above-average anything is the PAT section at 22.

I know many schools have a minimum cutoff for each section of the DAT, but other than that, do any schools really use ANY of the individual section scores?

Does anyone know if any schools, that take out-of-state students, use the PAT section in their "formula" for screening/selecting applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

according to what's been said on this forum in the past, some schools place a larger emphasis on the PAT compared to others (i think UoP is one of them). however, in my opinion, a strong PAT score won't overshadow a poor or mediocre AA. i think your AA is around the national average so it's not definitely not bad, but i wouldn't expect your 22 PAT to turn heads.

Most use the PAT in their formula however it is not as highly weighted as the sciences (some schools weight RC highly as well)

With average GPA and DATs my best advice for you is to apply early... as in within the first month of the application cycle opening. I applied 2 times, the first very late... got 3 late interviews and waitlisted... the 2nd time i applied in may, got 11 interviews, 9 acceptances (all on dec 1) and withdrew the rest. Timing is everything.

The AADSAS book provided me with alot of insight of the schools... I looked for GPAs of accepted students, and DAT scores. I also looked at the % of students applied and interviewed that were out of state. I chose not to apply to those schools that interviewed a fairly small number of out of state students

Also, if you have graduated... take a summer course or a fall course. As soon as you get those grades send them to the schools. If you will still be in school next year, take a summer course this summer or do research. My suggestions for courses would be biochem and histo. Do well, and schools will look favorably on you.

I applied and worked on a post bacc during my application year... that way if I did not get in, I was a stronger applicant the 2nd time around. I also ended taking the DAT again, though not fun, by increasing my DAT by 1 or 2 points in each section, it greatly increased my chances of gaining interviews.

Good luck with the application process!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think your AA is around the national average so it's not definitely not bad, but i wouldn't expect your 22 PAT to turn heads.

he means national average for accepted students. the national average for testtakers is ~17, so you're doing well.

According to predents.com 121/181 (67%) of applicants with a 19 AA were accepted, regardless of GPA. If you have a decent GPA your chances will increase. I would say with a 19 AA - your extracurriculars, LOR and interview will make or break you.

Having higher scores in particular sections of the DAT may help, but particularly low scores in any given section will definitely hurt. So, a 22 PAT could be helpful, but it will not be enough to overcome severe deficiencies in other areas of your application. In fact, a 22 PAT probably isn't high enough to turn any heads. Good luck!

Being in the middle of the pack is tough. I think a DAT of 19 is solid, but not great. Yeah, I'm not trying to say a 22 on the PAT is anything special, just above the norm. My lowest score is QR=17, so maybe I'm okay with any minimum scores. I'm considering re-taking the DAT, but honestly, I'm not sure I would do better than 19. My current thought is to focus on ECs and take a couple of classes rather than study for the DAT again.

A 19 is a good score.... and if you dont think you can do significantly better the second time, it would be in your best interest to stick with the 19 (you could do worse the second time around). A 22 is a great score in PAT and will look good on your application.