Average GPA for MSTP vs. Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisyjo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm applying to MSTP programs this year, but just a little worried about my not-so-high GPA... my GPA isn't as high as many of the average GPAs for an admitted class for first year med students, but I was wondering if the average GPA for pure med students are, in general, higher than the average GPA for entering MSTP students?

Thanks for your help!

-daisyjo

Members don't see this ad.

In general, the average GPAs and MCATs for MD/PhD's are higher. However, I think that excellent letters of rec and a strong research background can make up for some of that in the case of MD/PhD. These factors are far more important to MD/PhD adcoms than they are to MD adcoms.

Good luck,

Adam

i'd say there is no real difference in GPA between the two groups.

As far as MCAT, thats a different story. The avg MSTP MCAT is around a 36, while the med school avg is around 30-31.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT difference is higher, but both are really more of self-selection. I think you can be successful with much lower scores than average in either.

Thanks for all the help, it's hard not to get caught up in all the statistics! It's also really difficult to get a hold of information on M.D./Ph.d. programs, so this website is a great resource. Thanks again.
-daisyjo