Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Average GPA for MSTP vs. Med

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by daisyjo, May 18, 2002.

1. daisyjo

daisyjo New Member

Hi! I'm applying to MSTP programs this year, but just a little worried about my not-so-high GPA... my GPA isn't as high as many of the average GPAs for an admitted class for first year med students, but I was wondering if the average GPA for pure med students are, in general, higher than the average GPA for entering MSTP students?

Thanks for your help!

-daisyjo

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In general, the average GPAs and MCATs for MD/PhD's are higher. However, I think that excellent letters of rec and a strong research background can make up for some of that in the case of MD/PhD. These factors are far more important to MD/PhD adcoms than they are to MD adcoms.

Good luck,

Adam

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned
    Banned

i'd say there is no real difference in GPA between the two groups.

As far as MCAT, thats a different story. The avg MSTP MCAT is around a 36, while the med school avg is around 30-31.

5. none

none 1K Member

The MCAT difference is higher, but both are really more of self-selection. I think you can be successful with much lower scores than average in either.

6. daisyjo

daisyjo New Member

Thanks for all the help, it's hard not to get caught up in all the statistics! It's also really difficult to get a hold of information on M.D./Ph.d. programs, so this website is a great resource. Thanks again.
    -daisyjo