MD Average interview invite wait time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello there, community. I'm a non-trad applying for 2015 (100+ hours clinical research, international experience, fluent in Spanish, MCAT: 11/11/11, sGPA: 3.57, cGPA: 3.45-due to some TERRIBLE grades 7 years ago). My AMCAS was submitted and verified very early, and I got most of my secondaries turned in within a few days to a week of receiving them. Here we are in September, and I still have not heard anything from any of my schools. Should I be waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and preparing for next cycle, or am I ok? What's the average timeline for interview invites? Are there any current med students who were in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there, community. I'm a non-trad applying for 2015 (100+ hours clinical research, international experience, fluent in Spanish, MCAT: 11/11/11, sGPA: 3.57, cGPA: 3.45-due to some TERRIBLE grades 7 years ago). My AMCAS was submitted and verified very early, and I got most of my secondaries turned in within a few days to a week of receiving them. Here we are in September, and I still have not heard anything from any of my schools. Should I be waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and preparing for next cycle, or am I ok? What's the average timeline for interview invites? Are there any current med students who were in a similar situation?
It will vary depending on your state of residence and how well-targeted your list is.

It will vary depending on your state of residence and how well-targeted your list is.
CA Resident. I spent a good deal of time on MSAR and on school's websites researching schools that I thought would be a good match for my stats and my interests, and I applied pretty broadly (26 schools - mostly private except for the CA schools). I know that UCSF is notorious for prescreening secondaries pretty rigorously, but I was invited to submit a secondary to UCSF. I thought that may be a nice indication of my competitiveness as an applicant (haha you can tell I'm really looking for a sign here), but I read stories of people getting II's mid August and it throws me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
CA Resident. I spent a good deal of time on MSAR and on schools websites researching schools that I thought would be a good match for my stats and my interests and I applied pretty broadly (26 schools - mostly private except for the CA schools). I know that UCSF is notorious for prescreening secondaries pretty rigorously but I was invited to submit a secondary to UCSF. I thought that may be a nice indication of my competitiveness as an applicant (haha you can tell I'm really looking for a sign, here), but I read stories of people getting II's mid August and it throws me.
If you applied to at least a dozen OOS schools with median stats at or below yours, you should get about 4 interviews and be fine. If you were from the inland empire, you would have a good chance at UCR. You have a fair chance at UCI and UCD. You are not likely to be in the first few months of II's. If you post your list I can be more specific but overall you sound like a normalish CA applicant (a lot like the 2/3's that go OOS). I think you will get an II at LLU when they get to the non SDA applicants.

You might want to change your sdn username. You are easy to identify...

Reactions: 1 user
If you applied to at least a dozen OOS schools with median stats at or below yours, you should get about 4 interviews and be fine. If you were from the inland empire, you would have a good chance at UCR. You have a fair chance at UCI and UCD depending on your EC's and personal qualities. You are not likely to be in the first few months of II's. If you post your list I can be more specific but overall you sound like a normalish CA applicant (a lot like the 2/3's that go OOS). I think you will get an II at LLU when they get to the non SDA applicants.

Thanks for the advice! I just submitted a request to change my username.

Here is my list:
Albert Einstein
Brown
Cornell
Creighton University
Dartmouth
Drexel University
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola University
Marshall
New York Medical College
Oregon Health & Sciences
Quinnipiac
St. Louis University
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson
U of Utah
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UCLA
UCSF
University of Pittsburgh
USC
VA Tech
Western Michigan University

No :/... Costs were rising, and I decided to choose between UCR & Loma Linda. Ultimately, I decided that UCR's focus on addressing the needs of a diverse patient population better coincided with my career goals of eventually practicing in a Latino community. Also, being a private school, I thought that my chances were slimmer at Loma Linda. But it's not to say that I wasn't drawn to LLU. Should I consider a late add, or do you think that would be superfluous given the broad net I have already cast?

No :/... Costs were rising, and I decided to choose between UCR & Loma Linda. Ultimately, I decided that UCR's focus on addressing the needs of a diverse patient population better coincided with my career goals of eventually practicing in a Latino community. Also, being a private school, I thought that my chances were slimmer at Loma Linda. But it's not to say that I wasn't drawn to LLU. Should I consider a late add, or do you think that would be superfluous given the broad net I have already cast?

You are almost perfect for LLU (as long as your don't enjoy the occasional glass of wine, like Prof gyngyn)! They are local to you, very family friendly and they do missions too.
I would have had you dump OHSU (geocentricity) or Pit or Cornell. Your call.

• Love
You are almost perfect for LLU (as long as your don't enjoy the occasional glass of wine, like Prof gyngyn)! They are local to you, very family friendly and they do missions too.
I would have had you dump OHSU (geocentricity) or Pit or Cornell. Your call.
Haha, I will definitely consider it! Thanks for all the feedback :)

If you applied to at least a dozen OOS schools with median stats at or below yours, you should get about 4 interviews and be fine. If you were from the inland empire, you would have a good chance at UCR. You have a fair chance at UCI and UCD. You are not likely to be in the first few months of II's. If you post your list I can be more specific but overall you sound like a normalish CA applicant (a lot like the 2/3's that go OOS). I think you will get an II at LLU when they get to the non SDA applicants.

Prof gyngyn! I'm revisiting this thread because you were awesome, and I forgot to ask you something. You mentioned that it is likely that I won't be in the first few months of II's. When do you think it is probable (of course nothing is a science here) that I might receive an invite or two? Maybe I can convince myself to postpone my compulsory email checking until then, haha.

Prof gyngyn! I'm revisiting this thread because you were awesome, and I forgot to ask you something. You mentioned that it is likely that I won't be in the first few months of II's. When do you think it is probable (of course nothing is a science here) that I might receive an invite or two? Maybe I can convince myself to postpone my compulsory email checking until then, haha.
You should have an interview or two in the next month if my estimates are correct.
Did you add LLU?

Sorry for the late response. Goro suggests:

Albert Einstein
Creighton University
Dartmouth
Drexel University
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola University
Marshall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
St. Louis University
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UCLA
USC
VA Tech
Western Michigan University

• Love
You should have an interview or two in the next month if my estimates are correct.
Did you add LLU?
I did! I dug deeper around their website and found some things that really interest me. Thanks for suggesting the reconsideration :)

Sorry for the late response. Goro suggests:

Albert Einstein
Creighton University
Dartmouth
Drexel University
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola University
Marshall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
St. Louis University