Average malpractice insurance cost in NYC area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title = question.
Also is PMR possible from the Carib IMG school for a candidate with strong clinical exp in allied health? They probably don't care because it's not a doctoral level. What's a reasonable USMLE I and II scores to enter PMR? Your responses are greately appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot answer definitively, but I've heard that in NJ malpractice costs around $10,000/year.

Yes you can do PMR from a caribbean school. You definitely want to do well on your boards. Try to get over 220 to increase your options. Get strong LORs. At least one from a PMR attending. Do a rotation in PMR. Write a great personal statement. Apply to alot of programs. Interview at 10+.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
billydoc said:
Title = question.
Also is PMR possible from the Carib IMG school for a candidate with strong clinical exp in allied health? They probably don't care because it's not a doctoral level. What's a reasonable USMLE I and II scores to enter PMR? Your responses are greately appreciated :D

The malpractice fees for PM&R physicians is on the low end of average malpractice costs compared to other physicians, even in NYC. I don't know exact fees but NYC malpractice fees are only slightly higher than average. What is more troublesome are the much lower average salaries in NYC, high cost of living in NY, poor reimbursements from Medicaid/Medicare, high cost of rent, and the overcrowdedness of NYC with too many physicians (including PM&R) in one area. The malpractice fees seems less of an issue in PM&R.

Thank You All for your input.
Drvlad2004, I absolutely agree with you. Living in NYC is an extra pay and pain for extra suffering :laugh: . If I convince my wife we'll get the f... out of here. But NY has many, many residency spots.
Thanks again :)

billydoc said:
Thank You All for your input.
Drvlad2004, I absolutely agree with you. Living in NYC is an extra pay and pain for extra suffering :laugh: . If I convince my wife we'll get the f... out of here. But NY has many, many residency spots.
Thanks again :)

I definitely agree on that point as well. The enitre NY state has 15 residency programs. Once you get done training in NYC, you will be prepared to work anywhere else.