Average Malpractice Insurance Costs?

Started by NMC2010
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NMC2010

τετέλεσται
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have an idea of the average malpractice insurance costs? I am looking for an 1M/3M occurrence policy. I would be doing implant placement and some surgical EXT, probably to include some impacted 3rds. I have been practicing for 5 years in the military, and am about to go into civilian practice as an associate.

I am an AGD member and ADA member.

Checked Dentist's Advantage, quoted at $2,441 for one year payment (or $2716 if you break it up in months, ~226/mo) - that's with the 15% AGD discount.

Checked The Doctor's and it said $50/month... without asking any extra questions about what I would be doing. That doesn't sound correct.

Checked some others and couldn't get quotes without calling them.

What's a normal amount to pay? Is $2,441 way too much, or is that normal? I just want a ballpark for what I should be looking for - Dentist's Advantage seemed to have some good coverage.
 
In general an occurrence policy will be around $2000 but varies based on location. Implants and extracted thirds will raise your monthly premium, so $2400 sounds ok but if you have time another quote won’t hurt.

Those really cheap ones usually go up the next few years, and usually are claims-made policies where you need to buy tail coverage if you cancel in the future.
 
Anyone have an idea of the average malpractice insurance costs? I am looking for an 1M/3M occurrence policy. I would be doing implant placement and some surgical EXT, probably to include some impacted 3rds. I have been practicing for 5 years in the military, and am about to go into civilian practice as an associate.

I am an AGD member and ADA member.

Checked Dentist's Advantage, quoted at $2,441 for one year payment (or $2716 if you break it up in months, ~226/mo) - that's with the 15% AGD discount.

Checked The Doctor's and it said $50/month... without asking any extra questions about what I would be doing. That doesn't sound correct.

Checked some others and couldn't get quotes without calling them.

What's a normal amount to pay? Is $2,441 way too much, or is that normal? I just want a ballpark for what I should be looking for - Dentist's Advantage seemed to have some good coverage.

don't skimp on it. if it sounds to good to be true- then it is. I pay about 2500-3000