Average Pharmacists Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope_ful_Pharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to do some research on different areas of pharmacy I am interested in after graduation, and was wanting to get some estimates on average salaries of pharmacists in various settings (not the main factor obviously, just curious). I know retail is one of the highest, if not highest ($120,000/yr or so?) and hospital can start off in the $95,000 range, but what about compounding pharmacists, veterinary pharmacists, and industry positions? I have searched various sites but only seem to find 'clinical pharmacist salaries' or 'retail pharmacist salaries'. I also try to research compounding pharmacist salaries, but keep getting values around $40,000/yr. It surely isn't that low is it? Any advice and input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I also understand that salaries vary by region, so I am mainly interested in the south, and the mid-west (Kansas and/or Missouri mainly).

120,500/yr. managed care. also 55/hr. prn hospital. in tx

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry if you work hard you'll make that six figures the school was talking about!

hospital hired a new grad to staff at $43 an hour (~90k with differentials), Midwest. Hospitals in the metropolis areas of midwest average around 110k for rphs that havent been there forever.

115k clinical pharmacist with 2 years of residency experience in the south.

You also need to consider the cost of living in those areas, the salary relative to cost of living may reveal more than just average salary. For example, as far as I know California has one of the higher average salaries for pharmacists, but also has a very high cost of living.

pharmacy is one of those professionals that you can often make the most money in an area with lower cost of living. Example, a hospital in rural Iowa was hiring a Rph at 130k a year 12 years ago. You could own one of the nicest houses in town for 180k (something that would go for 600k in cali). Metro NYC hospitals pay less than hospital in mid major size towns in the southeast (where I live). FWIW I make about 125k at a midsize community hospital,.

My friend was offered 120K after 1 year of residency in Southern California. So yea, California pharmacist salaries are definitely high to cover for the high cost of living. But I heard it doesn't go up much even with experience.

$135K pharmacy manager somewhere in Texas with a College of Pharmacy. Higher in underserved areas

Last edited:
Hospital system, CA. Salary Range $62-90 per hour but I start them at $70. 4 x 10 hours. Have 3 different shift Differentials. 260 hours paid time off per year. Very low health premium.

I always see job postings showing salary ranges of 90-160k. How long does it take to get to that high end? How many people are actually getting that rate? I'm wondering where I should be right now, what sort of rate I should expect when interviewing for new positions.

I'm seriously considering leaving my cushy grocery store job for somewhere else with better pay. I would even take a manager job at a chain if it meant being paid $120-135k a year like some of you have posted. I'm currently making around $53 an hour as a full time floater.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm seriously considering leaving my cushy grocery store job for somewhere else with better pay. I would even take a manager job at a chain if it meant being paid $120-135k a year like some of you have posted. I'm currently making around $53 an hour as a full time floater.

I'm wishing I could afford to leave my manager job at a chain making 135k to work at a grocery chain.

Trust me...the added stress is not worth the money. I was making a little bit over 135k as manager for 1 of top 3 chains and I recently stepped down after a few years because it was not really worth it to me. Maybe you like action and want to bare the cross again...but I'd jump at a grocery gig if one opens up around my area...the problem is no one ever leaves those grocery positions and I rarely see openings.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the input! What about compounding pharmacy? Anyone have experience in that area? (not just salary information, but experiences would also be helpful as that is the career path I am leaning towards at the present)

Keep in mind that starting salaries tend to be a lot lower in certain areas these days. Even with a few years of experience, every offer I am getting from hospitals in the south has been sub $50/hr.

I currently work hospital and after all differentials and everything, I average 140K
Where is this hospital located? How many years of experience do you have? And did you do a residency?

I'm wishing I could afford to leave my manager job at a chain making 135k to work at a grocery chain.
Just get a job at a grocery chain making 135k. :p

Does anyone work in a hospital in FL? How much do pharmacists typically start making (hourly rate)?

Just get a job at a grocery chain making 135k. :p
if you cant afford to live on - lets say 100k - which would probably be the lowest your salary would be - you are living wrong

Reactions: 1 users
Just took a job at a grocery store in south east. Going from 125k at wags in an undesirable area to 112k at grocery chain w great rep and happy rphs in big city where I wanna live. Like someone above said jobs here never come up so so I jumped on it and luckily knew someone working there who put in a good word for me

Cost of living is about the same.

Gladly took a paycut for no drive thru and a lunch break!!! And I will work one less day a week.

Anythint over 80 hours is hourly rate + $10 so picking up an extra shift a month can easily earn like $7-8k more a year (pre tax)

Warehouse retail pharmacy
Staff pharmacist
Midwest state, large metro
Salaried, but equivalent hourly rate $65.45 ($136,136 at 40 hrs/week)
5 weeks pto after 3 years working
No drive thru
Member clientele
Close for lunch 30 mins
Closed Sundays
Closed Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day

Warehouse operations are good gigs if you can land em.

Last edited:
Warehouse retail pharmacy
Staff pharmacist
Midwest state, large metro
Salaried, but equivalent hourly rate $65.45 ($136,136 at 40 hrs/week)
5 weeks pto after 3 years working
No drive thru
Member clientele
Close for lunch 30 mins
Closed Sundays
Closed Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day

Warehouse operations are good gigs if you can land em.
what company is this?

if you cant afford to live on - lets say 100k - which would probably be the lowest your salary would be - you are living wrong

I agree.....I jumped at my grocery chain offer after graduating before even asking about pay. Retail pay is going to be more than good enough regardless (if you get full time hours, that is).

Nice deal. Sounds like either a Sam's Club or a Costco? I don't think I've ever seen a job listing for a pharmacist to work at the local Sam's Club...... now I see why.
i worked for a staffing agency and had a couple of shifts at cosco - it was great for a retail gig- they actually paid me (plus the staffing agency) to add strictly a second Rph in a store that did maybe 200 scripts in my 8 hours

Does anyone know if it is possible to intern as a student at Sam's Club? I never see any intern positions posted online. Alternatively, does anyone know if it's possible to start off working as a pharmacist for Walmart and then transfer to a Sam's Club?

Good luck, dude. If someone knew how to get an in at a Costco, they probably wouldn't tell you. :p

Ya it's Sam's Club.

Does anyone know if it is possible to intern as a student at Sam's Club? I never see any intern positions posted online. Alternatively, does anyone know if it's possible to start off working as a pharmacist for Walmart and then transfer to a Sam's Club?

I trained in a Sam's Club pharmacist that interned for Wal-Mart while in school but I don't know the details on how that works. I worked for a competitor before I applied for my Sam's Club position.

I have seen WM pharmacists transfer to the Sam's Club side and vice versa but I think it can be difficult to go from WM to Sam's just because there aren't as many (only around 600 clubs with pharmacies nationwide) and people usually don't leave. And fyi, there are different regional managers for the different sides too in case you are trying to contact the DM directly regarding open positions.

But I will say this, our pto increased dramatically in March (hence the 5 weeks) for all pharmacists so I know they are going to be needing part time floats everywhere to help with all the new time off we have. Might be a good time to get your foot in the door.

But I will say this, our pto increased dramatically in March (hence the 5 weeks) for all pharmacists so I know they are going to be needing part time floats everywhere to help with all the new time off we have. Might be a good time to get your foot in the door.
You get paid out if you don't use it?

If you're hourly, yes. If salaried, you can roll over a week to next year but the rest is use it or lose it. I guess I never care to leave time off on the table to get paid out. Time with family is too valuable to me. I've been able to get all my pto for the rest of the year approved so I won't lose any. I suppose it is a bummer if you prefer being paid out one year instead of using it. I know there have been some questions over why hourly gets paid out and salary doesn't, so maybe that'll change in the future but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: I say that we lose it, but I believe there is a way that we can get it paid out if you really want to. You could just use a pto day and then pick up a shift for your partner/other pharmacist.

Last edited: