Average price of round-trip airfare to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I recently found a round trip for 260 from TX to Tenn.

What kind of deals are out there? Anyone have any good resources for flight information and sales?

Members don't see this ad.

i was told that orbitz is one of the better ones. i also learned that flying to a large airport is much cheaper than flying to a small airport. for example, i found a non-stop flight last week from san francisco to new york (JFK) for only $215. If i were to fly into a smaller airport..ie HPN, the price goes up to over $500

sdnstud said:
i was told that orbitz is one of the better ones. i also learned that flying to a large airport is much cheaper than flying to a small airport. for example, i found a non-stop flight last week from san francisco to new york (JFK) for only $215. If i were to fly into a smaller airport..ie HPN, the price goes up to over $500

Definitely true. The price difference between flying out of Ontario compared to LAX was like 100 bucks. Try to use major airports as much as possible. Then again, if you have to bend over backwards to get to a hotel or then have to rent a car, maybe spending a bit more on a more convenient flight is a better way to go. You just need to explore your different options for each interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where in Texas are you flying out of? Houston or Dallas will be your best bets for cheap flights --> Houston Hobby and Dallas Love (Southwest) at that. Although, I find that Continental is pretty good at matching fares out of Houston. A Saturday night stay usually brings down the cost of a flight--but not always.

I know a few friends who use www.sidestep.com. It actually puuls fares from all the main sites so you can see them side by side. Very helpful.

you can get into atlanta for 150 and drive up.....depending on where you are going most of tenn is only 2-3

Thanks for the help. I booked it at 260, which was the cheapest I found from austin, tx to Nashville TN.

It might be nice to keep this thread going though, any other airfare deals hiding in the murky shadows of SDN?

For those of us who don't live in ginormous cities, I found that allowing an extra day's stay can halve the price. e.g., Schedule your interview for a Monday and fly in Saturday and leave Monday night. For some reason this can make a huge difference, at least when I'm running the numbers for my own locations.

aparecida said:
For those of us who don't live in ginormous cities, I found that allowing an extra day's stay can halve the price. e.g., Schedule your interview for a Monday and fly in Saturday and leave Monday night. For some reason this can make a huge difference, at least when I'm running the numbers for my own locations.

Most of the major air carrier's cheapest tickets require a Saturday night stay. Its an archaic rule they have used against business travelers to get them to pay higher fares during the traditional business week.

you could also try studentuniverse.com, they usually have good prices, or at least they did when i was looking for tickets from ny to paris in the summer. or, you could always try priceline. i've flown from nyc to miami for around $45, round trip. course, the downside is you can't pick your flight or airline and you might get a layover in one direction.

JDAD said:
Thanks for the help. I booked it at 260, which was the cheapest I found from austin, tx to Nashville TN.

It might be nice to keep this thread going though, any other airfare deals hiding in the murky shadows of SDN?

Hey, might not help this time, but for future reference check southwest's website. they have austin to nashville at $94 each way (plus tax)...actually you can find tix from almost all of their cities to almost any other one of their cities for under 100 bucks each way on their website. That means cross country for 200 bucks (ie lax to baltimore)

you just need to look early enough though

I am flying southwest. It depends on the day you are flying. My tickets are 118 each way, but then they added about $40 bucks in extra fees. It was still the cheapest though.