Average Psych Evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilbert Lowell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Psychiatry, but just found out I have a "C+" grade for my Psych Core.:confused: To make matters worse, my board scores are sub-par and my LOR is average at best (I'm surprised they would even write me one). Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the bad grade. If it was in your 3rd year clerkship, that can really hurt. Is your 4th year graded or pass/fail? If you can take some 4th year courses that are graded, that might help. It can also provide a source for LOR, if you do well.

Is your psych grade on par with your other clerkship grades? Does the psych grade stand out as being much lower than your other clerkships?

You may want to ask somebody in your Psych Dept for advice. Ask for an honest opinion about your chances of getting to a psych residency.

Is your 4th year graded or pass/fail? If you can take some 4th year courses that are graded, that might help.
It's graded and I do plan on taking some electives.

Is your psych grade on par with your other clerkship grades? Does the psych grade stand out as being much lower than your other clerkships?
The psych grades sticks out. It's much lower than all my other cores.

Thanks for your feedback.

My psych grade was lower than all of my other clerkships, although not bad, and the evaulation was worded rather generically. I don't think it necessarily represents your ability or interest in psych, but often how the time is set up and how much time you have with your attending.

To make up for this, I scheduled my sub-i in psychiatry (could also be an elective) in the beginning of the 4th year, got a great grade and a LOR from that attending. I was never asked about my 3rd year grade because of this. If they did ask, I would be honest about why it happened but use your future grades to demonstrate that you do have the interest and capacity for psychiatry.

Good luck!