Average score on Ob/Gyn shelf exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rococo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if this question would normally go into the Allopathic forum somewhere--

Does anyone know the average score (out of 100) of the Ob/Gyn shelf exam, based on past results? I'm a Year III who just finished my clerkship and took the shelf for Ob/Gyn. I've been considering it as a specialty and so went all out in the prep for the Shelf, reading the texts, working thru Blueprints, doing sample questions and the whole lot, as did the other gunners in the clerkship. (Ob seems to be popular.) After the exam, it seemed as though all of us-- about a dozen-- were seriously bummed.

The Shelf was much harder than we thought, full of what seemed like trick questions of the sort we hadn't encountered e.g. on the USMLE. Most of us felt like we could figure out the cases but the way the answer choices were phrased, we could frequently narrow things down to two almost-equally-good options and then had to guess-- even *after* the exam when we could look things up, we often couldn't decide which choice was better. :mad: And the case descriptions were *really* long and involved, 1-2 paragraphs which made finishing difficult. Most of us thought we were on top of the material, but we had that sinking feeling that it wasn't going to show in our scores, and this includes one guy in our group who broke 240 for Step I but was downing a couple self-pity beers after the exam. <sigh>

I'd heard that the 50th percentile for the Shelf has generally hovered around 70 out of 100, which is nerve-racking b/c quite a few of us aren't sure we even hit much above that mark for this particular administration. I'm pulling out my hair b/c the last thing I want to do if I apply for Ob/Gyn residency is to explain to the Director my lackluster Shelf Exam scores that make me appear like a slacker (especially when I *did* bust my tail to master the material! Few things are more frustrating than being pressed about your apparent slacker-dom when you manifestly were not slacking!). Anyone have ballpark data for this?

Members don't see this ad.

Rococo said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if this question would normally go into the Allopathic forum somewhere--

Does anyone know the average score (out of 100) of the Ob/Gyn shelf exam, based on past results? I'm a Year III who just finished my clerkship and took the shelf for Ob/Gyn. I've been considering it as a specialty and so went all out in the prep for the Shelf, reading the texts, working thru Blueprints, doing sample questions and the whole lot, as did the other gunners in the clerkship. (Ob seems to be popular.) After the exam, it seemed as though all of us-- about a dozen-- were seriously bummed.

The Shelf was much harder than we thought, full of what seemed like trick questions of the sort we hadn't encountered e.g. on the USMLE. Most of us felt like we could figure out the cases but the way the answer choices were phrased, we could frequently narrow things down to two almost-equally-good options and then had to guess-- even *after* the exam when we could look things up, we often couldn't decide which choice was better. :mad: And the case descriptions were *really* long and involved, 1-2 paragraphs which made finishing difficult. Most of us thought we were on top of the material, but we had that sinking feeling that it wasn't going to show in our scores, and this includes one guy in our group who broke 240 for Step I but was downing a couple self-pity beers after the exam. <sigh>

I'd heard that the 50th percentile for the Shelf has generally hovered around 70 out of 100, which is nerve-racking b/c quite a few of us aren't sure we even hit much above that mark for this particular administration. I'm pulling out my hair b/c the last thing I want to do if I apply for Ob/Gyn residency is to explain to the Director my lackluster Shelf Exam scores that make me appear like a slacker (especially when I *did* bust my tail to master the material! Few things are more frustrating than being pressed about your apparent slacker-dom when you manifestly were not slacking!). Anyone have ballpark data for this?

who cares? if you're an american med student with plans to go into ob/gyn, all you need to do is just pass. for this year's match there were more spots available than american medical students applying. there were quite a few unfilled spots... program directors are not going to criticize you for being a slacker if you didn't blow up a med school shelf exam... they're going to be heavily courting you just because you're an ob/gyn applicant...

Rococo said:
Few things are more frustrating than being pressed about your apparent slacker-dom when you manifestly were not slacking!). Anyone have ballpark data for this?
Man, you've really got to relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rococo said:

It is around 70% correct for 50th percentile.
Ob/gyn isn't that competitive anymore, it's easier to match than peds.

cyanocobalamin said:
It is around 70% correct for 50th percentile.
Ob/gyn isn't that competitive anymore, it's easier to match than peds.

I thought this year all of the spots filled. From what I've heard, ob/gyn is making a turn-around since the malpractice situation is projected to get better.

F the shelf. If you want to do OB then do it. Just take your sub I early and work hard and get honors in that. The subI means more anyways. Besides, you haven't even got your score back anyways. I agree with Buzz, man youve got to relax. You are going to deal with a lot more stressful situations than that in the future, eg, shoulder dystocia, placental abruption, eclampsia, the horrible smell of bacterial vaginitis.

They are right about OB not being that competitive. Plus, if you have a penis it is very easy to match.

As far as the malpractice situation, I have never talked to anyone that has said "I really want to go into OB/GYN but the malpractice situation sucks." From my experience, the people that like it don't let it change their mind.