Average Step 1 & 2 scores when considering a medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to take into consideration the average scores coming out of a medical school? Is an ~8-10 point difference a big deal? Does it only really matter if you’re interested in a competitive specialty?

i say this because a school i interviewed at seemed to highlight their scores in respect to other state schools that hold much much better “reputations”.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of factors for selecting a medical school, average STEP score school is of lower importance to most applicants
1) nearly half of acceptees get a single offer of acceptance so your choice is simply take it
2) Cost, location, financial aid, curriculum, and clinical rotations, would seem more important considerations
3) While a school's schedule allowing for STEP prep may be a moderate consideration, a large portion of STEP success is the self-motivation of a student.
4) While STEP score is an important factor in residency selection, recommendations, physician networking, opportunities for audition rotations, and program reputation are also important factors. (see Residency Program Director's Report)
What is there to consider about clinical rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
The school's average step scores shouldn't be important to you because you could go to WashU and get a 200 or go to a state school and get a 270. Most of the material for dedicated step study is available everywhere.

Like @gonnif said, if you have a choice between schools you should focus on cost, location, financial aid, curriculum, and clinical rotations when making your decision.

Reactions: 3 users
At all my interviews, another interviewee seems to ALWAYS ask the following: 1. Do we get dedicated time for step 1? 2. How does the school prepare us for step 1? 3. Do people do well on Step 1?

Rant:
It has driven me mad. I just don't understand why some applicants put so much emphasis on Step 1. Its as if they are going to be picking and choosing schools based on if they get 4 weeks vs 5 weeks to study or if there is a 5 point difference in score. To me, those questions during interviews just scream naivety about medical school in general and are such a waste of time when there are so many more important questions to ask. Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: 11 users
At all my interviews, another interviewee seems to ALWAYS ask the following: 1. Do we get dedicated time for step 1? 2. How does the school prepare us for step 1? 3. Do people do well on Step 1?

Rant:
It has driven me mad. I just don't understand why some applicants put so much emphasis on Step 1. Its as if they are going to be picking and choosing schools based on if they get 4 weeks vs 5 weeks to study or if there is a 5 point difference in score. To me, those questions during interviews just scream naivety about medical school in general and are such a waste of time when there are so many more important questions to ask. /rant

There are actually some legitimate reasons for asking about Step 1. Yes, it is mainly self-study but the structure of the curriculum can lead to trends in higher or lower Step 1 score.

Schools that have a curriculum that is based on Step 1 probably do better on Step 1 (block exams that mirror Step 1). Whereas schools that have course exams that are independent of Step 1 material, might trend to lower Step 1 scores. Yes, there is a lot of variabilities but still.

Imagine going through your first two years, and your school tests you with what is going to be on Step 1, not info that they want you to learn that may or may not be on the test. I would rather go to this school, where Step 1 and pre-clinical curriculum are not different. Sure, at some schools there might be some overlap in the material, but having to separate course studying from Step 1 studying is a waste of time. I would rather go to the school with a Step 1 focused pre-clinical curriculum since I would have more free time and be way happier.

Reactions: 4 users
There are actually some legitimate reasons for asking about Step 1. Yes, it is mainly self-study but the structure of the curriculum can lead to trends in higher or lower Step 1 score.

Schools that have a curriculum that is based on Step 1 probably do better on Step 1 (block exams that mirror Step 1). Whereas schools that have course exams that are independent of Step 1 material, might trend to lower Step 1 scores. Yes, there is a lot of variabilities but still.

Imagine going through your first two years, and your school tests you with what is going to be on Step 1, not info that they want you to learn that may or may not be on the test. I would rather go to this school, where Step 1 and pre-clinical curriculum are not different. Sure, at some schools there might be some overlap in the material, but having to separate course studying from Step 1 studying is a waste of time. I would rather go to the school with a Step 1 focused pre-clinical curriculum since I would have more free time and be way happier.

Ah this is a fair point

Reactions: 4 users

These questions specifically are really funny to me. What is the school going to say??
  1. Nope, you are on your own
  2. We don't really care about step 1
  3. No. See #2
Preclinical education is not going to differ much between schools. Whatever the structure of the curriculum you will still have to learn the vast majority of the information on your own.

Reactions: 6 users
At all my interviews, another interviewee seems to ALWAYS ask the following: 1. Do we get dedicated time for step 1?
with re: to this question, every med student I've spoken to has said, "if you need more than 4 weeks for dedicated, you did something wrong during preclinicals." If a school boasts 8 weeks dedicated, a lot of people apparently treat that like a 4 week dedicated with two 2-week breaks before and after. I guess something to think about.

With re: to curriculum, it seems like there may be pretty significant differences in how courses/lectures are structured, if they force you to spend valuable weekends memorizing a professor's specific minutae rather than content relevant for boards, if they bake in NBME exams with realistic test environments, etc. Although you can overcome a lack of these things with hard work, I can't imagine they don't help.

All that being said, being in a city you love, living close to friends/family, or saving yourself $80k COA seem wayyyyyy more valuable than curricular quirks that might boost your scores 4-5 points.

Reactions: 7 users
At a recent meeting regarding Step 1 prep, my school's dean told us: "Yes, our school's Step 1 is above national average. No, that does not necessarily mean we are better at teaching to the boards than others. It might just mean we are better at picking students to accept who score well on exams."

In other words, I agree with my dean that a school's average step scores are not *necessarily* a reflection of how well they prepare students for the exam (though that may well be one of many factors). I wouldn't consider it a major factor in selecting a school. Most of your step score is on you.

Reactions: 10 users
I ended up about dedicated for a school that was revamping its curriculum entirely for the incoming class. On the curriculum handout, there was no dedicated time for step. I know its not a major issue considering all the other factors that play into medical school (cost, location, etc.), but I asked mainly because I was honestly a little worried why it wasnt there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me guess: UTMB.
Can confirm. Interviewed there this cycle and that’s all they talked about even though their new scores are right at the averages of other state schools in tx

Rant:
It has driven me mad. I just don't understand why some applicants put so much emphasis on Step 1. Its as if they are going to be picking and choosing schools based on if they get 4 weeks vs 5 weeks to study or if there is a 5 point difference in score. To me, those questions during interviews just scream naivety about medical school in general and are such a waste of time when there are so many more important questions to ask. Sorry for the rant.
Or the infamous question:

So what free board material do you give us?

As if that extra $200 wouldn't be spent on alcohol anyways. :rolleyes:

Worst. Reason. Ever.

Right up there with "should I look at match lists to determine which school to go to."

You know what will have more of an immediate and lasting impact on your medical career and job choices? How much loans you'll have to pay off. Think about that.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can confirm. Interviewed there this cycle and that’s all they talked about even though their new scores are right at the averages of other state schools in tx

The opposite happened at my A&M interview a few years ago when they briefly said "so our average Step 1 score was a 227" and then immediately moved to the next slide without mentioning boards ever again.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The opposite happened at my A&M interview a few years ago when they briefly said "so our average Step 1 score was a 227" and then immediately moved to the next slide without mentioning boards ever again.

Haha I bet they got a talking to by the dean after they got their scores back. Tsk tsk

referring to Central Florida haha
Completely agree with all above. STEP scores are important in that they can give you insight into how well the school can prepare you to succeed. However, as many people already mentioned, most of STEP prep is on the individual, not the school. So, it should be a factor to consider, but not a priority.

I think UCF focuses on that aspect a little bit because we're a new school. How else can you compare to the reputation of the older FL schools and entice people to go there if you don't have strong STEP scores/Match lists? If you have any questions about the school, you can reach out to me :) I'm an M1 there! Good luck!

Don't pick schools based on Step scores. There's so much that can and will happen between now and then. For instance, Step 1 could go pass fail. That was under discussion (not sure what the most recent updates are). And of course, picking a school based on its average Step 1 score is like buying all of the top-shelf liquors for a cocktail. Sure, if you use it right it'll help you make a phenomenal drink. But if you don't know how to use it, the drink will still taste like ****. And a perfectly made cocktail will taste good regardless of whether your liquor is top shelf or not (most people wouldn't taste the difference).

Reactions: 3 users
I find it ironical/comical/a reflection on a strange system that students pay $100k/yr to attend a school, yet would base a decision on how much time they get not being taught... ('please let me pay you $10,000 this month so I can study by myself...")
I think the semester abroad in undergrad is a similar scam-"we don't have enough housing for all the students, so let's send some of them on vacation for a term, which they pay for, we'll charge their parents tuition, everybody's happy!"

• Haha
Don’t listen to the people saying it doesn’t matter. Go to the schools that have a curriculum that teaches to the test. Step is the most important thing.

• Haha
The school's average step scores shouldn't be important to you because you could go to WashU and get a 200 or go to a state school and get a 270. Most of the material for dedicated step study is available everywhere.

Like @gonnif said, if you have a choice between schools you should focus on cost, location, financial aid, curriculum, and clinical rotations when making your decision.

This!

And something else I’ve noticed: Those who want a competitive specialty and/or an elite residency program are often the ones who “pull out all the stops” and get the higher Step scores. The more complacent ones who pretty much know that good Step scores will get them into a local peds or FM or whatever program, may not put in as much effort.

Reactions: 2 users
Not very. Much like the MCAT it is about spamming QBanks and Anki, what school you go to probably doesn't matter. What does matter is the length of dedicated study time you have for boards. Though that would place low on my priorities list. There's even the possibility that Step 1 could go pass fail in the next couple of years, the odds are bad, but it's still a possibility.

I am a first year med student, so my opinion is very biased, while a lot of ppl on this forum have been around for much longer, and definitely know better. THat being said, I do want to share how I approached it. I was lucky to have a choice from 4 great schools. One of them had a much higher Step 1 score (EVMS, where I ended up going), and instead of just comparing the scores, I started asking questions :"WHY are their scores higher?". WHat are they doing differently? Turned out that they don't really have in-house exams, all exams are NBME, there is a very good step program in school, good chunk of time for prep, and lectures highlight high-yield information. So THAT answer made sense to me.

That being said, I think it is much more important to go where you feel comfortable. I would've chosen EVMS even if their score was lower - I loved the school from the day I walked in there. It just fits me! SO if you go where you are happy - you will be doing better in school, and get higher grades.

Some OTHER things that I think are more important than their average step 1 score are:
1)how many exams per semester they have (I personally think that it is better if each course has several, because it means that the scores are distributed, and you can mess up one of the exams without too much damage).
2) what happens if you fail exam? some school has a very easy "no big deal" retake policy, while other schools do not let you retake exams at all, or you have to do it over summer. I have friends in some of those schools, and they are very stressed out. The pressure that IF something happens (who knows? maybe you get sick, or something happens in the family, or whatever else), and their whole school life can come crashing down on them is VERY stressful.

Reactions: 1 users