I'll be 27 when I start medical school next fall; am I too old and will I be considered out of place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad1013

Reaction score
I am aware that I am 4-5 years behind most M1's, but will this be highly scrutinized in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Funny thing about professional education, and about parenthood, for that matter. Your age re-sets when you begin and you are a peer to the others in your class or cohort.

It is likely that there will be many students 4 years younger than you and some who are 1-4 years older. You won't even notice, unless you start talking about which Taylor Swift era most reminds you of riding in the car when you were in high school. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am aware that I am 4-5 years behind most M1's, but will this be highly scrutinized in medical school?
Current applicant and I'll be 28 when I start. There's a decent amount of medical students that didn't go straight into medicine, and you'd be surprised at how much you'll have in common with the traditional applicants you meet.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are concerned, you can look at the age statistics for the schools in which you are interested. While there are a few that skew young, many have significant numbers of older students (and we don't consider 27 to be "old"!)

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I know a couple of programs where the average age is 26/27 and rising, so no, not at all.

• Wow
No one will care. I know people in residency that are 35+, and it's not too infrequent.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
In my class the traditional (straight from college to med school) students are the odd ones out. We've got former corporate executives, special forces guys, current priests, etc. I have several classmates in their 40s.

You're good dude.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I honestly don’t notice any difference between the 22 year olds and 30 year olds in my class

My class had an average age of 26 at matriculation.

In my class, it was the exception to be a straight-through applicant (no gap years or other degrees, etc). It was almost like they were out of place. Being older is better when you get to clinical years. I have a very good friend who was a "straight-through" applicant, and he gets all kinds of grief as a resident now with people thinking he's a medical student, lol.

• Haha
I just got an acceptance to start fall of next year and I'll be 38 at matriculation.

• Love
Isn’t national average 24?

Reactions: 1 user

when you enter medical school you will be exactly 0 years behind every other M1. It's unlikely your age will be anything other than an *asset* to your studies and peers.

Isn’t national average 24?

It's getting closer to 25.

I honestly don’t notice any difference between the 22 year olds and 30 year olds in my class

I've worked with teenagers for years and my new job at the hospital the teens are shock emoji when they find out I'm in my 30s.

• Wow
  • Haha
I wish I was starting med school that “old”. I’m applying next year at age 36

It’s never too late to follow your dreams. I’m older than you, applied this year and already have acceptances. Believe !

• Love