Average Step I for Derm matches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I-eye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the average Step 1 score for those who match in derm?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From information that I have gathered from other sources I am going to guess around 240.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
with a mean of 217 and SD of 24, that's about 84th percentile...which is high, sure, but it's still ONE IN SIX med students. That means that if you go out with five of your buddies, one of you will have the boards to match in derm. (OK, there's sampling bias there) Not low but not unheard of.

Originally posted by MedGeek42
with a mean of 217 and SD of 24, that's about 84th percentile...which is high, sure, but it's still ONE IN SIX med students. That means that if you go out with five of your buddies, one of you will have the boards to match in derm. (OK, there's sampling bias there) Not low but not unheard of.

Hmmm....that is interesting.

Out of curiosity, doesn't the SD seem kind of large to you?

240.. yeah right. derm is a tiny field, connections are vastly more important than board scores. i've seen plenty of ppl match w/ 205. but then again there were several calls made on their behalf.

Thanks for your imput.

My friend and I were having a discussion regarding the competitiveness of derm compared to optho. We both agree derm is more competitive and with the average Step I for matching optho students just below 230 (per the optho tread), we were trying to decide where derm step I's would fall.

Do you mean the Optho averages? If so, see the FAQ discussion on the Optho thread.