Average test taker and difficulty with cardiology board exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doctor_Strange

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm studying for ABIM right now and I feel like I am going to pass barely and I am wondering if applying to Cards is a fool's errand. I see applicants with 260s/270s Steps and I have never been a good test taker. Maybe it's silly to think this way but I'm curious with other current fellows and attendings.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't use IM and Cardiology board exams as a marker of ability level or a hurdle... Not entirely sure what your question is but >80% of test takers pass ABIM and Cards. If you fail you can retake.These tests are meaningless and really nothing more than a money grab. Obviously those who are "smarter and harder working" score better on average however I have seen many braindead cardiologists with top tier scores. I think those 99th percentile scores and above are red flags most of the time. The competitiveness of specialties in America has nothing to do with the difficulty. I think being a good IM physician is much harder than being a good general cardiologist. I was reminded of that frequently when I moonlight as a hospitalist during my cardiology training.
 
Outstanding comment above.

EP cardiologist here. I hate that it has come to this, but the sad truth is that boards are essentially meaningless (see the fiasco from last year's Gen Cards boards). It is a money grab and has no bearing on your actual ability to treat patients. Put a different way, I have no idea what the board scores are of my partners and of other physicians in my hospital, but I absolutely know who I would trust with my family's care and who I want nowhere near my loved ones.

Also completely agree that being a good IM doc is much harder than being a good cardiologist. For the life of me, I still don't know what a positive ANA means, lol.