Average wrvus for hospital employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EtherBunny

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
quick question...

A buddy of mine in fellowship right now is looking at a hospital employment gig and is curious about the average wrvu production for hospital employed interventional pain. He asked me but I'm in private practice and have no clue. Anyone know the average in this environment or a reasonable expectation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does 8000 translate to in a regular work day?? 15 follow ups and 8 new patients daily and 50 procedures (assume bread and butter) a week?
I see about 15 per day, do 20-25 fluoro procedures per week on average, and surpass the Lobel laziness threshold, though I feel kind of lazy at this pace. I could easily do 30 to 40% more if the incentive were there. (I also do some medicolegal/non rvu work about a half day a week.) 7000-8000 is certainly not a feverish pace.
 
I see about 15 per day, do 20-25 fluoro procedures per week on average, and surpass the Lobel laziness threshold, though I feel kind of lazy at this pace. I could easily do 30 to 40% more if the incentive were there. (I also do some medicolegal/non rvu work about a half day a week.) 7000-8000 is certainly not a feverish pace.

Nice, how many rvus u get for that a year?? Do you do ur procedures in clinic or asc?
 
If my base was x and my conversion factor was y then I receive a bonus of y/unit for every unit in excess of x/y.

Advice:

If you don't out earn your base within 18 months or so your base will either decrease or you will be fired.
 
Reasonable is 8000
More than 13000 and something aint right. Less than 7000 means lazy.


1. Does it include physician extender (PA or NP)?
2. For hospital employed physicians, do you get 100% wRVU credit for work done by your mid level?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In private practice "negotiating" with the insurance companies over reimbursement is pretty much a one-way conversation. The contracts are total RVU-based--we have contracts ranging from $30-$90/RVU. It seems like the "information asymmetry" would be so much worse with the hospitals. After all, they actually KNOW their real costs AND payments and you know nothing. In PP, I know our real costs and they DON'T know our other contracts.

Where's the leverage in talking to the hospitals?
 
the only real leverage lies in the ability to walk away. they don't want to lose out on those facility fees especially when they've built a suite onto your office.

so it's important to limit the non-compete radius and build up the FU account.
 
the only real leverage lies in the ability to walk away. they don't want to lose out on those facility fees especially when they've built a suite onto your office.

so it's important to limit the non-compete radius and build up the FU account.

I suppose that's why some people think that site of service differential distorts markets.

A hospital/health system employed MD compensation is an "input" cost (that's built into the overall pro-forma), whereas a private practice MD compensation is a net revenue output (it's the output from the overall pro-forma). In other words, I need to figure out how to make my compensation someone else's overhead! If the government pays farmers not to plant crops, would they pay doctors not to do spine injections?