Avg MCAT Late application, retake or apply early nxt cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cargirl110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether I should retake the MCAT in April/May or just keep my score and apply the first day AMCAS is available. I submitted my AMCAS the second week of September and it was verified in mid-October. I did not intend to apply so late, but I was involved in a motorcycle accident with my boyfriend and I was in the hospital for a month in August. I only received one interview and have yet to know the decision, so I am going to assume I will have to reapply. I have a 3.54 BCPM, 3.5 AO, and tons of research experience with a publication. MCAT is 12B, 10P, 8V = 30N. That is also my second MCAT. First time I got a 24M. My grades show a downward trend because I was ill my senior year, but I sought help and wrote about it in my PS. So retake or just apply early? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

With a 30, I'm sure you'll be able to get into an MD program.
1. Your gpa is average. So it doesn't hurt/help you.
2. Your Mcat is also average. That 8 might hurt you though. If it was a bit more balanced then it would have been better, but nonetheless, a 30 is not that bad. If you think it is the worst thing ever, then you've been on SDN too much.
3. Applying late is probably the thing that got you. Apply early and broadly.

It couldn't hurt to have a higher score, but only take it again if you are fairly certain you can improve. If you think you can improve by 2 or more points and take it in June, it might be worth a retake. Just getting a little above average should help someone who has an overall average application.

Applying early and broadly is another strategy that could work. As a reapplicant you'll want to show why you are more qualified this cycle. Rewrite the PS and maybe get some updated LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a similar question to that posted on this thread. I am a Canadian and applied to US schools this year, albeit late. My overall GPA is 3.73, with a BCPM of 3.93 and I have an MCAT score of 31Q (11BS, 12PS, 8VR). I have not got any interviews from the US and wanted to know what I should do?

I will be graduating this year and wanted to know if I should take a year off and apply early next year or should I go straight to the Caribbean or do a masters and then reapply?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

I'd say take the year off.. enjoy it.. work some if you can to save up some money.. do things you won't get to do in the next however many years in medschol/residency... don't go carribean.. just my opinion

I also have a similar question to that posted on this thread. I am a Canadian and applied to US schools this year, albeit late. My overall GPA is 3.73, with a BCPM of 3.93 and I have an MCAT score of 31Q (11BS, 12PS, 8VR). I have not got any interviews from the US and wanted to know what I should do?

I will be graduating this year and wanted to know if I should take a year off and apply early next year or should I go straight to the Caribbean or do a masters and then reapply?

Agree with PlayMeSomeMusic that your numbers are fine. You don't need additional coursework at any level. Apply in June, get a job to make money, and continue to improve your ECs in the meanwhile.

I am trying to decide whether I should retake the MCAT in April/May or just keep my score and apply the first day AMCAS is available. I submitted my AMCAS the second week of September and it was verified in mid-October. I did not intend to apply so late, but I was involved in a motorcycle accident with my boyfriend and I was in the hospital for a month in August. I only received one interview and have yet to know the decision, so I am going to assume I will have to reapply. I have a 3.54 BCPM, 3.5 AO, and tons of research experience with a publication. MCAT is 12B, 10P, 8V = 30N. That is also my second MCAT. First time I got a 24M. My grades show a downward trend because I was ill my senior year, but I sought help and wrote about it in my PS. So retake or just apply early? Thanks everyone!

I was in a similar boat. My second MCAT attempt was 10,8,12...And I retook to fix that verbal. Granted I only fixed by 1 point but my overall went up 2. I think its effort and improvement that count.

Ideally, You would retake AND reapply. Retake by late May, apply June 1st and check that you took May MCAT. By the time you verify (later in June), your new lovely score will be there and you can start counting secondaries..and eventually interviews : )

I'm gearing up to re-apply and many people have cautioned me against sending in the same app without some sort of improvement. You did pretty well on the MCAT, but an increase would be a great addition to your app. I'm retaking the MCAT and doing more classes, but your GPA is fine. I'd say retake, rock, and bury the MCAT and reapply with the new and improved score.