AVMA accredited schools abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalQueen247

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As I have graduated from undergrad, I no longer have the advice of my pre health advisor, so please help.

I am planning on applying to AVMA accredited schools OUTSIDE the US (I have heard it is a little easier to get in). Does anyone know about the acceptance rates, pre-requisites, etc. I have the links below as resources, however would like to know my odds of getting in.

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...on/Colleges/Documents/colleges_accredited.pdf

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/prerequisite_chart_2013.pdf

http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...sity-subject-rankings/2016/veterinary-science

If you think of any other advise, tips, motivational stories, or warnings please let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

As I have graduated from undergrad, I no longer have the advice of my pre health advisor, so please help.

I am planning on applying to AVMA accredited schools OUTSIDE the US (I have heard it is a little easier to get in). Does anyone know about the acceptance rates, pre-requisites, etc. I have the links below as resources, however would like to know my odds of getting in.

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...on/Colleges/Documents/colleges_accredited.pdf

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/prerequisite_chart_2013.pdf

http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...sity-subject-rankings/2016/veterinary-science

If you think of any other advise, tips, motivational stories, or warnings please let me know!

Thanks!
Your odds of getting in have a lot to do with what your application looks like, you may want to post your stats in the 'What are my Chances?' thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I can't really help you much with your questions about your odds, I can direct you to more links from the aavmc VMCAS page. The first one is the list of all the colleges pages, which will give you a description about them and what they require and how many they accept and the second two are basically that same information, but broken down into charts so you can compare schools easier.
ETA: the third link is a more updated prereq chart than what your link was.

http://aavmc.org/College-Specific-R...ific-Requirements_College-Specifications.aspx

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/geninfo.pdf

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/prereqchart.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
I was just accepted to University college of Dublin 4 year veterinary program. That's the only abroad program I applied to as I love Ireland and wasn't considering any other abroad schools. If you want my stats or have any questions feel free to message me!

That pre-requisite chart and the websites of the universities you're interested in is really all you need. No one here will be able to predict your odds, but as pinkpuppy suggested, you can try the "What are my chances" thread. I would also recommend the "successful applicant stats" thread(s).

I think international schools being "easier" to get into depends a lot on the school and how they critique your application. But, since I will soon be going abroad to pursue my DVM myself, I can share my experience with you.

I applied to 3 US schools and 3 international schools (after having been flat-out rejected - no interviews, no waitlists, nothin'! - from 3 US schools in a previous application cycle). This time, I ended up being waitlisted at two US schools and rejected from one. I got an interview with University College Dublin, but ended up being rejected. UCD is pretty competitive because they only take in 5 international students each year, so I felt pretty good about even getting an interview. So, that particular school I would say is no easier to get into than a US school. I think the same would go for RVC.

I was accepted to Ross University and the University of Melbourne. For Melbourne specifically, I don't know if it's necessarily easier to get in vs. US schools, but it is easier to get in as an international student (vs an Australian/NZ student). In most countries, students don't have to pay to go to school, so it helps the university to accept some international students who do pay tuition.

And, I think it's pretty safe to say it is easier to get into either of the accredited Caribbean schools than it is to get into a US school. I'm sure people do get rejected from time to time, but as long as you have met the prerequisites I think they are pretty solid "safety schools". Ross may be even "easier" to get in than SGU since they have classes entering three times a year, and therefore can accept more applicants.

It really all comes down to how many application cycles you are willing to wait. You can scrutinize each school's acceptance criteria, dig through these forums reading everyone's stats, listen to all kinds of varying advice from internet strangers, but the truth is that most people don't get accepted to US schools on their first try. I have seen people on this website get accepted on their first try, but no one I have met personally. It does happen, and it's more likely to happen if you have a stellar GPA (like 3.9+) and a kickass everything-else-on-your-application, but otherwise you will likely have to try again next year. Personally, I spent thousands of dollars just applying and interviewing. I knew I had a decent chance of getting into a US school if I just got a few more hours of "diverse" (non-small animal) experience and applied again, but I just didn't want to go through all that again knowing there was no guarantee. Each rejection is a heartbreak, and a person can only take so much. For me, it was worth it to go abroad and finally get to pursue my dream.

One last thing.... don't listen to anyone who says it's more expensive to go abroad! I heard that a lot when I was applying, and I did all the math, and it's just simply not true (for my schools, at least). Most schools abroad have comparable tuition to OOS schools in the US. Both of the US schools I was waitlisted for had higher price tags than the international schools I applied to. Just be sure to research cost of living in the area your are applying to (both domestic and international) and don't forget to adjust for the exchange rate if applicable. Plane tickets when you come back home to visit might be more expensive, but that's about it.

That pre-requisite chart and the websites of the universities you're interested in is really all you need. No one here will be able to predict your odds, but as pinkpuppy suggested, you can try the "What are my chances" thread. I would also recommend the "successful applicant stats" thread(s).

I think international schools being "easier" to get into depends a lot on the school and how they critique your application. But, since I will soon be going abroad to pursue my DVM myself, I can share my experience with you.

I applied to 3 US schools and 3 international schools (after having been flat-out rejected - no interviews, no waitlists, nothin'! - from 3 US schools in a previous application cycle). This time, I ended up being waitlisted at two US schools and rejected from one. I got an interview with University College Dublin, but ended up being rejected. UCD is pretty competitive because they only take in 5 international students each year, so I felt pretty good about even getting an interview. So, that particular school I would say is no easier to get into than a US school. I think the same would go for RVC.

I was accepted to Ross University and the University of Melbourne. For Melbourne specifically, I don't know if it's necessarily easier to get in vs. US schools, but it is easier to get in as an international student (vs an Australian/NZ student). In most countries, students don't have to pay to go to school, so it helps the university to accept some international students who do pay tuition.

And, I think it's pretty safe to say it is easier to get into either of the accredited Caribbean schools than it is to get into a US school. I'm sure people do get rejected from time to time, but as long as you have met the prerequisites I think they are pretty solid "safety schools". Ross may be even "easier" to get in than SGU since they have classes entering three times a year, and therefore can accept more applicants.

It really all comes down to how many application cycles you are willing to wait. You can scrutinize each school's acceptance criteria, dig through these forums reading everyone's stats, listen to all kinds of varying advice from internet strangers, but the truth is that most people don't get accepted to US schools on their first try. I have seen people on this website get accepted on their first try, but no one I have met personally. It does happen, and it's more likely to happen if you have a stellar GPA (like 3.9+) and a kickass everything-else-on-your-application, but otherwise you will likely have to try again next year. Personally, I spent thousands of dollars just applying and interviewing. I knew I had a decent chance of getting into a US school if I just got a few more hours of "diverse" (non-small animal) experience and applied again, but I just didn't want to go through all that again knowing there was no guarantee. Each rejection is a heartbreak, and a person can only take so much. For me, it was worth it to go abroad and finally get to pursue my dream.

One last thing.... don't listen to anyone who says it's more expensive to go abroad! I heard that a lot when I was applying, and I did all the math, and it's just simply not true (for my schools, at least). Most schools abroad have comparable tuition to OOS schools in the US. Both of the US schools I was waitlisted for had higher price tags than the international schools I applied to. Just be sure to research cost of living in the area your are applying to (both domestic and international) and don't forget to adjust for the exchange rate if applicable. Plane tickets when you come back home to visit might be more expensive, but that's about it.

Completely off topic but I love your name lol

And welcome to SDN:)

I was just accepted to University college of Dublin 4 year veterinary program. That's the only abroad program I applied to as I love Ireland and wasn't considering any other abroad schools. If you want my stats or have any questions feel free to message me!

Yes please what are your stats!?