AVMA Forecasts Veterinary Ed Struggles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Amen. Read this article last night...talk about adding insult to injury, but yes, at least the AVMA seems to be admitting that a problem exists. Hopefully this means a move in the right direction, though I''m sure it will get worse before it ever gets better.

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose it's good that they recognize that their actions (allowing more seats/schools) might create a problem for us, but they didn't go so far as to say they would stop....
As competitive as the school application process is, I'd like to see them reduce seats at some schools to help combat the surplus of new vets into the market. If applicant to seat ratio gets close to 1 you may find the quality of applicant lower and the quality of the resulting graduate lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it's good that they recognize that their actions (allowing more seats/schools) might create a problem for us, but they didn't go so far as to say they would stop....
As competitive as the school application process is, I'd like to see them reduce seats at some schools to help combat the surplus of new vets into the market. If applicant to seat ratio gets close to 1 you may find the quality of applicant lower and the quality of the resulting graduate lower.
They don't really have control over individual schools. Especially since some schools already accept way more than others. They do have control over the new schools that are opening since they can not accredit them.

They don't really have control over individual schools. Especially since some schools already accept way more than others. They do have control over the new schools that are opening since they can not accredit them.
How often do the schools that are accredited have to go through the process. It seems like there should be some influence, even if its delayed and not direct.

How often do the schools that are accredited have to go through the process. It seems like there should be some influence, even if its delayed and not direct.
They go through an inspection process (I think it's every 7 years). But still, the AVMA has very little control over student number, just on quality of education received.

They go through an inspection process (I think it's every 7 years). But still, the AVMA has very little control over student number, just on quality of education received.
The school is always going to want more students because it means more money, so there needs to be a set of checks and balances somewhere built into the system. Just trying to understand all the factors at play. What controls the number of students a school accepts?

The school is always going to want more students because it means more money, so there needs to be a set of checks and balances somewhere built into the system. Just trying to understand all the factors at play. What controls the number of students a school accepts?
Not true. Utk stopped increasing the class size at 85 simply because of the saturation of the market. At some point you have to hire more instructors to give quality education to more students. Same with hospital size. So there are limits

This is something important to note. The AVMA does not have the ability to force schools to cap student numbers, as much as we would like them to be able to.

The other problem is that, as far as I know, the AVMA can't just refuse to accredit a school if said new school meets accreditation criteria just because they (the AVMA) don't want any more schools. It would be akin to (not a perfect comparison, but bear with me) NAVLE refusing to license/pass more students than some cutoff number of total test-takers just because they want to keep numbers down, even though the "excess" students also passed the exam. Their job is to maintain quality of education like dyachei said, not "quantity" of education if that makes sense.

It's kind of a ****ty situation overall. Right now, the AVMA seems to only have the authority of an advisory body...which was its original intent, but given the economic issues happening in the profession....

Last edited:
The other problem is that, as far as I know, the AVMA can't just refuse to accredit a school if said new school meets accreditation criteria just because they (the AVMA) don't want any more schools.

No, but they can cave in and not fight a lawsuit forcing them to change the standards so that more schools can get accredited ....... Just like they did.

Reactions: 2 users

Market forces, in theory.

But those lag a lot, so there are good and bad times in an industry as things catch up to market changes.

One of the problems is that the Feds will cut loans to anyone for 100% of the cost ...... So the schools have essentially no reason to control costs and every reason to raise tuition. At least, in short-term thinking. Because hey, their students get whatever they can't pay covered in guaranteed loans.

The problem with cutting back on federal loans is that then you create a situation where vet school only becomes accessible to the already-wealthy, which seems unfortunate/unfair.

There is no real perfect solution. At least, perfect palatable solutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is something important to note. The AVMA does not have the ability to force schools to cap student numbers, as much as we would like them to be able to.

The other problem is that, as far as I know, the AVMA can't just refuse to accredit a school if said new school meets accreditation criteria just because they (the AVMA) don't want any more schools. It would be akin to (not a perfect comparison, but bear with me) NAVLE refusing to license/pass more students than some cutoff number of total test-takers just because they want to keep numbers down, even though the "excess" students also passed the exam. Their job is to maintain quality of education like dyachei said, not "quantity" of education if that makes sense.

It's kind of a ****ty situation overall. Right now, the AVMA seems to only have the authority of an advisory body...which was its original intent, but given the economic issues happening in the profession....
I guess this makes sense. To be able to control the quantity could have adverse affects. I just feel like there is some aspect of the checks and balances system that is not working properly. Am I missing something?

I guess this makes sense. To be able to control the quantity could have adverse affects. I just feel like there is some aspect of the checks and balances system that is not working properly. Am I missing something?

They can't arbitrarily decide which schools get accredited and which don't. That would be an antitrust issue. Or something similar. I'm not a lawyer. But it wouldn't be legal. They have to set standards and then apply them fairly to any school that wants to be accredited.

But they CAN control those standards. And when they opted to relax them rather than fight a lawsuit, that was a move that was not in the best interests of the industry or future veterinarians. It probably was in the interest of practice-owners, though. By encouraging ever-increasing numbers of new grads to come out, it drives down the salary you have to pay them. Woo hoo! More money for practice owners by keeping wages for associates stagnant. And - what a shock - practice owners tend to be the majority of the people making decisions over at the AVMA.

I mean, it's not THAT simple, obviously. But .... I'm pretty cynical. And I can clearly see how that all played out. It's just one reason the AVMA absolutely does NOT represent the majority of veterinarians well. I have to grit my teeth at the fact that I'm even a member, but my employer pays for my liability insurance through AVMA PLIT, so I don't get a ton of choice.

Is the saturation of vets in practice only accounting for vets who are actually practicing in a private clinic? Or does that include the vets who go on to academia or govt/industry jobs? I know most vet students want to practice, but I am leaning more towards research in sime aspect (academia or industry), and I thought although these are more competitive fields, there would be need/jobs available. I am a lowly pre-vet so I don't know what the job market is actually like for research, but maybe if schools tried to make more people go into something other than practice, maybe it would alleivate the situation a bit?

Is the saturation of vets in practice only accounting for vets who are actually practicing in a private clinic? Or does that include the vets who go on to academia or govt/industry jobs? I know most vet students want to practice, but I am leaning more towards research in sime aspect (academia or industry), and I thought although these are more competitive fields, there would be need/jobs available. I am a lowly pre-vet so I don't know what the job market is actually like for research, but maybe if schools tried to make more people go into something other than practice, maybe it would alleivate the situation a bit?
To do research as a vet, you're going to need to be trained as a research scientist in addition to being trained as a clinician. That is going to require further education, i.e. a phd and a postdoc and +/- a residency. I have no idea how competitive it is to get a job as a veterinary researcher but I would imagine it's as dismal as getting any academic job.

To do research as a vet, you're going to need to be trained as a research scientist in addition to being trained as a clinician. That is going to require further education, i.e. a phd and a postdoc and +/- a residency. I have no idea how competitive it is to get a job as a veterinary researcher but I would imagine it's as dismal as getting any academic job.
Right, I would go into aPhD program right after vet school (or during, god willing). I was just hoping that there might be even a fraction easier to find a job in research than in practice.

You are 100% on target. If you want to do any sort of worthwhile research as a veterinarian, you are going to need additional training after vet school. A DVM is a clinical degree, not a research degree, and in no way prepares you for high-level research.

Right, I would go into aPhD program right after vet school (or during, god willing). I was just hoping that there might be even a fraction easier to find a job in research than in practice.

Unfortunately not unless you land some really nice post-docs. You will be competing with every other PhD out there, and job market for researchers in biomedical/life sciences is very, very cutthroat right now. Your DVM is a nice feather in your cap, but it will not automatically bump you to the top of the list.

The AVMA may not be able to arbitrarily deny accreditation, but they could change their standards such that a school has to build its own teaching hospital in order to be accredited. That would nix the majority of these new schools right off the bat. As it is right now, schools like LMU know they can get in on that delicious federal loan money with a minimal investment in infrastructure.

Reactions: 3 users
That is to say, the saturation in clinical vet med is nothing compared to the saturation of PhDs in biomedical science and related fields.
Thanks for the info. Looks like my passion has an even more grim prospect :/

Thanks for the info. Looks like my passion has an even more grim prospect :/

The key to a research career as a vet is definitely networking and finding a really nice niche for yourself. It's doable. But I'd say it's harder than the traditional practice route, especially due to the current state of research funding. Everyone is constantly scrambling for grant money. At least in a clinic you don't have to worry quite as much about the entire rug being pulled out from under you.

They can't arbitrarily decide which schools get accredited and which don't. That would be an antitrust issue. Or something similar. I'm not a lawyer. But it wouldn't be legal. They have to set standards and then apply them fairly to any school that wants to be accredited.

But they CAN control those standards. And when they opted to relax them rather than fight a lawsuit, that was a move that was not in the best interests of the industry or future veterinarians. It probably was in the interest of practice-owners, though. By encouraging ever-increasing numbers of new grads to come out, it drives down the salary you have to pay them. Woo hoo! More money for practice owners by keeping wages for associates stagnant. And - what a shock - practice owners tend to be the majority of the people making decisions over at the AVMA.

I mean, it's not THAT simple, obviously. But .... I'm pretty cynical. And I can clearly see how that all played out. It's just one reason the AVMA absolutely does NOT represent the majority of veterinarians well. I have to grit my teeth at the fact that I'm even a member, but my employer pays for my liability insurance through AVMA PLIT, so I don't get a ton of choice.

And big money, like with the UNAM kefuffle (Banfield/Mars Inc)

The AVMA may not be able to arbitrarily deny accreditation, but they could change their standards such that a school has to build its own teaching hospital in order to be accredited. That would nix the majority of these new schools right off the bat. As it is right now, schools like LMU know they can get in on that delicious federal loan money with a minimal investment in infrastructure.

I don't know how well that would work for schools that are already established without one though.

We're going to reach a point where some vet schools are going to start closing down. And as schools start desperately filling their seats with any warm body who will pay tuition, the old adage of "all vet schools prepare adequate vets" is no longer going to be true. It will be very sad.

Well, considering that is pretty much what they caved in on when threatened with a lawsuit, I don't see it happening. They pretty much blew it and I don't see a feasible way to go backwards on it now.

We're going to reach a point where some vet schools are going to start closing down. And as schools start desperately filling their seats with any warm body who will pay tuition, the old adage of "all vet schools prepare adequate vets" is no longer going to be true. It will be very sad.

Couldn't agree more, on all counts. The market will correct itself. The bummer is that it will be painful and it could have been made less so.

I don't know how well that would work for schools that are already established without one though.

Honestly, firm up accreditation criteria and then when they go for their regularly scheduled visits, schools should be marked for an inadequacy (like lacking a teaching hospital) on their accreditation visits, given time to correct them (as with other issues) and if they do not, they lose accreditation. Grandfather in the existing students at those schools and then them graduate but otherwise, that's it. Obviously I doubt anyone would have enough spine to do that but it makes the most sense to me.

This concerns me quite a bit. It's already less competitive to get into vet school and moving in the wrong direction. A competitive environment to get in is healthy for the system.

Honestly, firm up accreditation criteria and then when they go for their regularly scheduled visits, schools should be marked for an inadequacy (like lacking a teaching hospital) on their accreditation visits, given time to correct them (as with other issues) and if they do not, they lose accreditation. Grandfather in the existing students at those schools and then them graduate but otherwise, that's it. Obviously I doubt anyone would have enough spine to do that but it makes the most sense to me.

I agree. I just don't know how well it would work logistically to argue the criteria change after ruling schools without VTHs are adequate. I don't know if there's really an argument there.

I agree. I just don't know how well it would work logistically to argue the criteria change after ruling schools without VTHs are adequate. I don't know if there's really an argument there.

I think it can be argued logically pretty easily: "We have decided to strengthen our criteria for a school to become or remain accredited. These changes will include x, y and z. We feel that making these changes will provide our veterinary students the best possible environment for becoming an able veterinarian." Nevermind the fact that it would relieve the burden on schools (and their students) who have a teaching hospital and have to absorb all these other students.

There is no rule that things must remain as they are indefinitely.

They would either be going back on what they said prior and making it about quality, where they would lose a lot of credibility since they've been accrediting those kinds of schools for years now. Or essentially willy nilly changing standards because of this overpopulation problem.

Both would lose a lawsuit.

ETA: @that redhead

Last edited:
Which school don't have them? Is the quality of the education really as good at schools that don't have one versus those that do? (I realize this is subjective).

Which school don't have them? Is the quality of the education really as good at schools that don't have one versus those that do? (I realize this is subjective).

Western, UCVM (Canada), LMU, Midwestern. I think that's roughly the order that they were accredited.

Have you heard about any quality disparity from Western graduates? They have been around the longest. I don't think there's a difference, personally. There's pros and cons for each side.

They would either be going back on what they said prior and making it about quality, where they would lose a lot of credibility since they've been accrediting those kinds of schools for years now. Or essentially willy nilly changing standards because of this overpopulation problem.

Both would lose a lawsuit.

Do they have any credibility left? And I don't consider it to be willy nilly changing of standards - it's changing of standards with a purpose, which is to improve the quality of education those schools can offer, to relieve the burden on the schools that end up absorbing the extra students and to help discourage so many new schools.

Whether or not it would win a lawsuit I can't really speak to.

Have you heard about any quality disparity from Western graduates? They have been around the longest. I don't think there's a difference, personally. There's pros and cons for each side.

I doubt they would report any difference, but that's because they go elsewhere for rotations. More telling would be input from the schools that take in students for fourth year rotations.

The biggest problem with no teaching hospital and farming students out to local clinics is that there is no set standard for quality, since every private practice does things differently and few, if ANY, clinical veterinarians have any teaching experience whatsoever. They have no way of monitoring what students are being taught, in what depth they are being taught, etc.

Do they have any credibility left? And I don't consider it to be willy nilly changing of standards - it's changing of standards with a purpose, which is to improve the quality of education those schools can offer, to relieve the burden on the schools that end up absorbing the extra students and to help discourage so many new schools.

Whether or not it would win a lawsuit I can't really speak to.

If it's argued that it's based on quality, then there has to be a reasonable argument supporting that. I don't think there is.

To make a distinction though, I don't see the schools that farm their students out to other schools' teaching hospitals to be the same as those that farm out to the local community. I think an argument can be made in regards to a number of students on a rotation impacting the quality as they keep increasing and increasing. Those are numbers that you could argue in my mind. Community rotations would not be as easy to prove as I think it largely depends on the place. If there were investigations proving substandard quality, then I think we could get somewhere.

Western, UCVM (Canada), LMU, Midwestern. I think that's roughly the order that they were accredited.

Have you heard about any quality disparity from Western graduates?

To my understanding, Midwestern does have a teaching hospital. They invested a huge sum of money into building it, and it seems like that's one of the big draws for the students who are applying to Midwestern now. I haven't had my interview there yet, but when I visited the admissions office last year, the counselor was very proud that the hospital had just opened Dec. 2014.

As for Western students, they seem to have a pretty good reputation. After speaking to a few veterinarians that I know from schools that take in Western students on their externships, they say that the students are pretty much on the dot with differentials and the like, and measure up with students from the "better" or "more established" schools. I haven't heard any negative comments, but I am curious to see what those would be.

Not 100% sure on the other schools, but I wanted to point out that Midwestern actually does have a teaching hospital (we toured it during interviews). There has yet to be a class go through clinical rotations obviously, but the facility itself is just about up and running, and looking really nice, too.

The biggest problem with no teaching hospital and farming students out to local clinics is that there is no set standard for quality, since every private practice does things differently and few, if ANY, clinical veterinarians have any teaching experience whatsoever. They have no way of monitoring what students are being taught, in what depth they are being taught, etc.

I don't agree.

I find myself on this side of the argument often as someone that attends a school that has rotations within the community. So granted, I only know what I've been told here, from community veterinarians within the teaching network, the veterinary community outside of the university and the neighbouring school with a teaching hospital. From what I understand, there is adequate quality control. The model difference though that may be distinct from other places that have a similar set-up is that the vast majority of our clinical training is completed in the first 3 years. But I think this will largely vary from place to place and a blanket statement on quality can't be made.

If the AVMA wants to individually investigate schools that have community rotations for quality (I imagine they would have had some degree of this to start, but if there was to be a particularly thorough one) as well as the rotations that take in students from other schools (Ross, SGU, Utah, etc.), then I think we could get somewhere.

ETA: The teaching in 4th year is supposed to be consistent to the three foundation years (at my school since I can only speak for it). Obviously I will know more when I get there though.

To my understanding, Midwestern does have a teaching hospital. They invested a huge sum of money into building it, and it seems like that's one of the big draws for the students who are applying to Midwestern now. I haven't had my interview there yet, but when I visited the admissions office last year, the counselor was very proud that the hospital had just opened Dec. 2014.

As for Western students, they seem to have a pretty good reputation. After speaking to a few veterinarians that I know from schools that take in Western students on their externships, they say that the students are pretty much on the dot with differentials and the like, and measure up with students from the "better" or "more established" schools. I haven't heard any negative comments, but I am curious to see what those would be.
Not 100% sure on the other schools, but I wanted to point out that Midwestern actually does have a teaching hospital (we toured it during interviews). There has yet to be a class go through clinical rotations obviously, but the facility itself is just about up and running, and looking really nice, too.

Ok, thanks for the correction on Midwestern.

I guess this is what I was getting at. I mean if you are farming out to other teaching hospitals that's one thing. If you are farming out to local clinics, you have a lot less control. I would think you'd have a larger variety and chance to see more at a teaching hospital for your clinic experience. Not that a few community rotations don't have their advantages...
Teaching hospitals should have the teaching aspect down and making sure the students get the most out of their time there. Community practice owners not necessarily...

Hopefully I can shed some more light on this once I've graduated. I feel like there is a lot of conjecture on how schools regulate that model of rotations without any actual knowledge to back it up.

Teaching hospitals should have the teaching aspect down and making sure the students get the most out of their time there. Community practice owners not necessarily...
Not necessarily. As a student, especially on rotations, a lot of our instruction and supervision was by interns and residents who may or may not have any desire to or have the ability to teach. Many of our AVC interns and residents were good and wanted to teach but a few were obviously only there to finish their program and couldn't have given two ****s about teaching students.

Hopefully I can shed some more light on this once I've graduated. I feel like there is a lot of conjecture on how schools regulate that model of rotations without any actual knowledge to back it up.
Same. For instance, when the COE inspects a school, they go through the whole physical facility. For schools that use a distributed/comunity model, do they also physically inspect all individual clinics associated with it?

Same. For instance, when the COE inspects a school, they go through the whole physical facility. For schools that use a distributed/comunity model, do they also physically inspect all individual clinics associated with it?

I have a meeting with my faculty mentor today that is involved in regulatory stuff. I will ask how all that works.