Nov 6, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi,
I got a letter in the mail from the AVMA stating that as a student I get free life insurance. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm trying to figure out if it's legit.

Lab Vet

Clinical Veterinarian, Global CRO
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
Hi,
I got a letter in the mail from the AVMA stating that as a student I get free life insurance. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm trying to figure out if it's legit.
Are you talking about PLIT? That's liability insurance, not life. Liability covers you if you make a professional mistake as a student. It has nothing do do with life insurance, which pays out to the beneficiary after you die. The AVMA offers PLIT free to all students. Be sure to sign up. It also may have an agreement with a specific underwiter re: discounted whole/term life, but I'm not aware of it. Anyone??

Kpowell14

Mizzou c/o 2017
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2012
COMO
Status
Veterinarian
Are you talking about PLIT? That's liability insurance, not life. Liability covers you if you make a professional mistake as a student. It has nothing do do with life insurance, which pays out to the beneficiary after you die. The AVMA offers PLIT free to all students. Be sure to sign up. It also may have an agreement with a specific underwiter re: discounted whole/term life, but I'm not aware of it. Anyone??
No, I got the same mail about life insurance... Its a new thing they are doing.

Reactions: cosentik
OP
cosentik
Nov 6, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah it's actually life insurance. It asks me to name a beneficiary and everything. I just hesitate to give my social security number to anything I didn't apply for.

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2011
Under the Sea
Status
Veterinarian
hmm interesting, they used to charge a small fee for student PLIT