Avoiding homicide when your flakiest friend gets accepted to your dream school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The admissions process is a random torturous thing, but I wondered if any of you have had to deal with somewhat flaky folks catching all the breaks. How on earth can you be graceful about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I hear you. UCLA was my top choice last year, and some one I know got in while I did not even get an interview. Her GPA was approximately the same as mine, and here ECs were not strong. The kicker is her MCATS were a 28 and I got a 37! Talk about rage! Best thing to do is take a short break and do something relaxing that you enjoy. It helps you put things in perspective. True, the whole admissions system is random, but repeating that phrase over and over won't help. Have a little fun. I know it is easier said than done during the application process, but try. Good luck.

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that. It could just be an issue of processing -- a lot of schools don't come anywhere near a "first received, first processed" routine.

Personal example: I FedEx-ed my secondary to Johns Hopkins at least two weeks before one of my friends sent his to JHU through regular mail. For some reason, I got my "Your Application Has Been Received" postcard a week after his.

Take home message: Take a deep breath, go for a run, burn off your stress. There is still time for you to get an acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Chorboke:
•Hey I hear you. UCLA was my top choice last year, and some one I know got in while I did not even get an interview. Her GPA was approximately the same as mine, and here ECs were not strong. The kicker is her MCATS were a 28 and I got a 37! Talk about rage! Best thing to do is take a short break and do something relaxing that you enjoy. It helps you put things in perspective. True, the whole admissions system is random, but repeating that phrase over and over won't help. Have a little fun. I know it is easier said than done during the application process, but try. Good luck.•••••37 on the mcat and no interview from ucla?? where did you end up attending???

ouch, i hear you! i know idiots and arrogant jerks who have gotten into medical schools like UCD, UCSD, UCLA, Einstein, etc. grrrrrrrrrr pisses me off. they shouldn't be doctors let alone get into decent med schools! just vent to SDN and your other friends who don't know your friend who got in.

she doesn't happen to be a u.r.m. does she?

Being a Spanish major, I have completely distanced myself from all premeds at my school. I only know one person that has been accepted. If I see a fellow premed, I never ask, cuz I don't want to know!

The only way I find things out is right here :)
So I'm anonymously jealous of all of you guys! :)

Chef:

I did not get interviews from any schools last year and I had 3.73 gpa. Crazy huh?! I am reapplying now.

Be happy for her. I don't have an acceptance yet, but to thosewho get in I'm happy for, somethign they did made the admissions committee like them. Granted some may not make the best doctors int he world, but still it's an accomplishment to make it to med school.

To me it woudl be huge considering my stats aren't a 4.0 and a 43+.

Focus on yourself and think about something else everytime you find yourself thinking about her. This is a form of thought-stopping. This works as long as you aren't suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Just some information here: Someone with OCD can suffer from either obsessions or compulsions or both. Obsessions are defined as thoughts/images that are disturbing and intrusive to the individual. Compulsions are defined as rituals to get rid of the anxiety associated with the obsessions.

Jealousy is a normal feeling. But, you want to be concerned about the extent of the jealousy. If this interferes with your daily functioning, you may want to get counseling for it. A therapist can help you work through this situation by using a variety of techniques that you may find helpful.

Former psychiatric social worker

I hope I'm not in need of therapy!

kmy,

Try not to slam your friend too much. The Adcom obviously saw things they like in her. Maybe what you see as "flaky", they see as humor. Maybe what you see as "a lack of dedication", they see as well-roundedness or something. You just don't know! Further, remember there are a lot of things that go into "when" you hear something back from a school. For instance, if your file is reviewed by individuals before it goes to committee, maybe her "individuals" got her file done right away, while yours are slower and left your file on a desk for a while. Again, you just don't know.

That being said, it's PERFECTLY OK to be jealous of your friend! It's even OK to tell her you're jealous. Just make a joke of it, as in "AGH! I'm soooo jealous! get out of my sight, you! (ha ha ha)". Everyone gets driven a bit batty by this process, so don't be too hard on yourself, but try not to be too hard on your friend either. And don't murder her. That would be BAD.

Yes, clearly murder is not an option - in case anyone actually thinks Im serious - sometimes people take things awefully seriously on here. I think Lemark was ready to suggest having me committed :)

Oh come on folks, let's not be too pc here. Flakes are flakes, and we all know plenty of 'em. Lots of them slip through the cracks. Anyone can act socially acceptable or come across as even genuine in a 30 min. interview. Flakes aren't as bad as the other types--self-serving, haughty individuals. Of course plenty of them end up in very good schools.

I guess what reassures me about this whole process is realizing how much it has to do with chance. Think about all the events that have to take place to get into your dream school. You have to have the right person look at your file initially, meet an interviewer who happens to be receptive toward you, etc.

What's all this "avoiding homicide" BS? Death is a natural part of life, isn't it? Go ahead and off the chick. You'll feel better, she won't have to agonize over the whole "medicine thing," AND it will open up a place at Sinai. See? Problem solved. :p

..so it's kinda like a pseudo Darwinist theory....survival of whoever's got da nine!