When to withdraw applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It’s Over!!!

Reaction score
So how does everyone decide when to withdraw applications?

Would you withdraw only if there was no longer any chance you would go to a particular school if accepted even with full COA (I know, ridiculously unlikely)?

Or, would you withdraw if there is no reasonable chance you would go to that school given the other acceptance(s) you may have?

Or some other standard?

Trying to do the right thing for our community but also know that finances will likely play a role in my final decision.

I want to withdraw as soon as possible because this process is torture for everyone and if I step aside I might give a chance for someone else to get an A or an II. But I also don't want to potentially screw myself over.

Thanks for any advice, especially from those who have had to make this decision already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is kind of you to think of others and schools will appreciate knowing where they stand with you but it is rarely a one-to-one where your giving up an offer will result in an offer going out to someone who doesn't have one. At my school, about as many people as we have seats (or twice as many as we have seats) will need to say "no thanks" before we can go to the waitlist.

If you don't even want to weigh the financial aid offer a school might have for you, then withdraw and don't look back. Otherwise, their is no harm to others in holding the offer until early spring.

Reactions: 4 users
It is kind of you to think of others and schools will appreciate knowing where they stand with you but it is rarely a one-to-one where your giving up an offer will result in an offer going out to someone who doesn't have one. At my school, about as many people as we have seats (or twice as many as we have seats) will need to say "no thanks" before we can go to the waitlist.

If you don't even want to weigh the financial aid offer a school might have for you, then withdraw and don't look back. Otherwise, their is no harm to others in holding the offer until early spring.
Thank you so much! I'm thinking less of offers (only have 2 so far!) and more about schools I haven't received II's from and schools I have future I's with. But yes, if I am crazy fortunate enough to get more A's then I will be making that decision too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew when I was 100% sure of the school I wanted to attend.

If you know for a fact you won't go somewhere, be courteous and give other applicants a shot. But don't feel pressured or anything, if you're still deciding, that's totally fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, freeing up interview slots does make room for other applicants so that is a gracious and generous thing to do. Just send an email saying, "Given my present circumstances, I am withdrawing my application for admission to [name] medical school. Thank you for considering my application."

Reactions: 2 users