awake fiberoptic topicalization/premedication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morri493

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I did a quick search and wasn't able to find this previously posted, so I apologize if this is a repeated question.

regarding topicalization and premedication for an awake fiberoptic intubation, I know there are dozens of ways to skin this cat. I'm at the point in my training where I've tried a few different methods with varying degrees of success, yet have not settled on any "best way" to do it.

I'm just curious to see how those of you go about it, and if you have any tips/tricks that you've found along the way that might be helpful to others.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Having done two successfully in the last month under difficult semiurgent conditions, here is my recipe:

Avoid medications if possible. If a patient for instance had a FFL done by ENT recently with just topical, there's a strong chance they may not require any sedation. If they do require sedation, low dose dex drip and/or 1-2 mg of versed. Ketamine drawn up for back up in case things go really sideways. Difficult airway cart. Lma, and glidescope standby as well.

For premed and topicalization, 0.2-0.4mg glyco and 4% lido atomizers to nares, afrin to nares, 4% lido to pillars and pharynx while holding tongue out with 4x4s. Do multiple times, gargle and swallow lido. If going nasal, place trumpet with 5% lido paste and then squirt 4% down the trumpet to get pharynx. After atomization, do a 4% lido neb with another 5cc if time permits.

Once topicalization complete, attach HFNC at 100% fio2 either in nares or mouth depending on your approach. Discuss with patient using soft restraints or having nurses hold their hands for safety. Get large diameter adult scope ready with ETT loaded and have 10 cc of 4% lido in a slip tip syringe. Keep patient upright and advance scope. If pt is not tolerating, this is primarily a problem with your topicalization. Don't go buckwild with 5 of versed and 100 ketamine. If the pt is stable, use more lidocaine. Toxic doses dont really apply when the majority is getting swallowed and either getting broken down in the stomach or entering the portal vein.

Use an appropriately sized Williams or ovassapian airway for oral approach. Advance scope to above glottis. Spray cords with 3-4 cc. Wait while they cough and distribute it around. Advance past glottis into trachea. Spray another 5 cc and let them cough. If you've done a trans tracheal you can avoid this obviously.

Advance scope to 3-4cm above carina. Railroad tube down into place (this is why I recommend the largest diameter bronchoscope that will fit- less risk of ETT hanging on arytenoids) and confirm position. Biggest mistake people make at this stage is only advancing barely into the trachea and inadvertently pulling the scope out above the cords before the tube is in.

Sedate with prop as soon as tube position is confirmed...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I do a decent number of these and have a specific method.

Step 1, Psychoprophylaxis. Never call it an "awake" intubation. It scares the patient, and it's not even true (patients are sedated and topicalized). I tell the patient, "usually we place the breathing tube through your mouth into your windpipe after you're all the way asleep. For you, because of X, Y, or Z, I'll be placing it after you're most of the way, but not all the way off to sleep." The more routine it sounds, the less drama their is around it being "awake."

Step 2, Preparation. I don't generally use glyco, but when I do, I give 0.2 and give it early. If I'm going nasal, I'll use phenylephrine nasal spray at this time, as well.

Step 3, Topicalization. I don't use the nebs, but I know people like that. I use 5% ointment to the tongue in three successive sweeps, each time asking the patient to hold their tongue at the roof of their mouth, and to swallow as it melts. Each sweep is separated by about a minute, and each goes further back. I do this during the pre-op process and don't take extra time to do it.

Step 4, Sedation. Your goals of sedation for this procedure are anxiolysis and amnesia. There is no better drug in the world for these goals than midazolam. People like to start dex infusions, and remi and all that, but with dex you don't get amnesia, and remi basically does nothing for you. There is no amount of opiate in the world that will obtund the gag reflex, short of general anesthesia. This procedure does not require opiates. It requires more local, for which I direct you to step 5.

Step 5, More topicalization. In the room now, with the patient on the gurney, upright, looking at me (who wants to be flat on their back with a masked stranger peering over their head with a bright light?). 4% solution via MAD spray tip to tonsillar pillars and posterior hypopharynx. Gargle -> swallow. If nasal, also to the naris of interest, followed by an ointment-soaked nasal airway 32-34. Next, depending, more midazolam (maybe 10% of the time if they're really awake still). Then, transtracheal block (assuming no contraindications) 2-3 mL 2%. If contraindications, "spray as you go" with the scope. Then test with yankauer.

Step 6, Intubation. Ovassapian airway, nasal canula oxygen, introduce scope, and do the thing. Light jaw-thrust is your friend once your scope is past the Ovassapian airway. If nasal, I generally insert the ETT past the nasopharynx first, then pass the scope through the tube, then into the trachea (usually the scope is too short to load the tube, go scope first, and not bump the ETT against the naris before you're comfortably in the trachea. If you've done all the stuff above, the intubation itself is a non-event. If the patient coughs/gags, the answer 100% of the time is more local, not more sedation. Once the tube is in, have the patient scoot themselves from the gurney to the bed (yes), and induce, etc.

That's my routine. It doesn't sound quick, but it is. There's nothing slower than a patient who's coughing and gagging, and then gets overly sedated to compensate, who then stops breathing and everything turns to poop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't put it any better than the prior two posts.

I always try to do a transtracheal if not contraindicated. I 100% believe it makes for a smoother AFOI.

More importantly though, you gotta go super slow with the scope. Everybody is in a rush and will go banging off the uvula or the cords or aretynoids. Slow movements, staying off any structures and keeping midline is the key.

Reactions: 4 users
I like transtracheal too....
I haven't done this but saw somewhere...
Using epidural catheter as means to topicalize the cords. Once you view the cords, the epidural catheter is used to drip the lidocaine directly onto the cords (via the working channel port or suction port). The back end of the catheter fits the lidocaine luer lock perfectly. Without the catheter, I always mis-inject, and a blob of lidocaine comes out the tip. Then they cough...

for meds, always give some glycopyrrolate early on. The last thing you need is a bunch of slobber in there. I prefer some combination of precedex, ketamine, and perhaps droperidol. Get someone a little cooperatively stoned but still breathing and it's almost always pretty easy. I also go through the nose after sliding in a nasal trumpet covered in lidocaine jelly. A nasal approach almost always lines the tube up nicely with the cords.

Reactions: 1 user
Using epidural catheter as means to topicalize the cords. Once you view the cords, the epidural catheter is used to drip the lidocaine directly onto the cords (via the working channel port or suction port). The back end of the catheter fits the lidocaine luer lock perfectly. Without the catheter, I always mis-inject, and a blob of lidocaine comes out the tip. Then they cough...

Yes, this is the “spray as you go” technique. Works fine. The ambu bronchs we use have a luer attachment where you can hook up the syringe directly.

Is this still a thing? I can't remember when was the last time i did an afoi.

Here's one of my recent ones. Guy had a ridiculous peritonsillar / submental abscess with extensive subq emphysema. MIO was about one childsize finger-breadth and his tongue was hard as a rock. Good luck getting a glidescope in there.

glRwqqb.png

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to do too many of these myself yet, but I will try to seek some out this year in residency. I've been trying to formulate my own approach from studying and reading here. So far, for oral route, I'm thinking:

Psychoprophylaxis: As mentioned above, avoid the term "awake intubation" and reassure that steps will be taken to ablate the uncomfortable gag reflex
Glycopyrrolate 0.2-0.4mg
10mL 4% lidocaine through EZ atomizer, using it to test gag reflex
3mL 4% lidocaine transtracheal block
Nasal canula supplemental O2
Parker tube lightly taped to adult bronchoscope
Have assistant hold tongue with 4x4's and give gentle jaw thrust
Advance midline carefully through Ovassapian oral airway
Spray vocal cords with lidocaine via epidural catheter (how much?)
Propofol in line and ready for induction after bronchoscope withdrawn and tube position verified

Minimal sedation with remifentanil infusion w/ small loading dose and no agents that synergistically cause respiratory depression. Seeing as to how opioids are really helpful with EGDs and bronchoscopies, this seems like a desirable agent here (although now cchoukal is making me doubt this).

Any feedback or tips?

Last edited:

The video laryngoscope has made AFOI far less common. But, there are a few times per year when I absolutely need to do this. It is an essential skill to acquire and maintain.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's one of my recent ones. Guy had a ridiculous peritonsillar / submental abscess with extensive subq emphysema. MIO was about one childsize finger-breadth and his tongue was hard as a rock. Good luck getting a glidescope in there.

glRwqqb.png

Nasal right?

......Literally had the same picture a couple of weeks ago. Lady was in tears, couldn't open her mouth, ENT drained it twice without success.

ENT doc suggested awake trach. I suggested Nasal AFOI. A guy in the group asked why I went nasal after hearing about the case. I said because she couldn't open her mouth. I received a blank stare. This is a place where an AFOI is done maybe once a year? I'm young, so I assumed I was missing something that he knew.

So, for general learning purposes, what instances have lead you guys to opt for the nasal approach? I think it'd be good for young attending and residents/fellows to hear.

BTW love the approaches described above. I do a very similar technique, but I like some of the things you guys are doing and will change my practice after trying your methods if it works.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I love about the described approaches is .....

1. that it's thoughtful and recognized that this takes time. i've seen a rush job and it's ugly
2. not relying on just one approach to topicalization
3. doesn't rely on giving a boatload of sedation risking patient safety and doing a halfa** job of topicalization. the reliance on sedation still ends up ugly as the patient bucks and coughs
3. the psychosocial approach mentioned

I can't wait to open an epidural catheter and do a dry run. cool.

The video laryngoscope has made AFOI far less common. But, there are a few times per year when I absolutely need to do this. It is an essential skill to acquire and maintain.

Hence my question about when Nasal is a must. I'm a big fan of having as many tools in my tool box as humanly possible. I hate the thought of reliance on just one way of doing things.

I clicked on the links and one thing I think the residents and fellows should try is the mentioned glidescope fiberoptic combination. In patients asleep and your crna can't see anything, have them hold the glide scope in place and run the fiberoptic scope in. I like the glide + bougie technique but then next step for me is glide + fiberoptic. This is asleep. Haven't don't it awake like mentioned on the website.

Viscous lido on tongue in Preop. Let it sit there. Contact time is important. Gargle it if they can just when leaving for OR. On OR arrival gargle again then swallow. Monitors, nasal prongs with CO2 on at this time. Judicious sedation follows Intubating oral airway next with lidocaine gel on it. 1-2 ml 4% lido is then sprayed as far back as you can get thru the oral airway with whatever device your facility has for that. Lightly lube the scope with KY to facilitate removal after placement. Place FRED defogger on scope. If you have a reusable scope, place an epidural catheter in the working port. This provides a secure site for injection of more 4% lidocaine on the cords/trachea. When cords visualized, spray more 4% thru epidural onto cords while being cognizant of total dose. My total 4% lido is usually just 3ml. Then wait at least a minute for the cord/tracheal spray to work. Advance into trachea and thread tube.
No injections needed. Glyco may be added in Preop if you wish. Do NOT push propofol after placement until ETT cuff integrity is ensured. I ripped a cuff once on the incubating airway.... If you can, it’s best to pull back your scope to check tube tip to carina distance. If done right, minimal to no coughing unless you accidentally advance the scope onto or past carina which is easy to do.

Of course its still a thing. A very real thing. I do about 1-2/per month. Legitimately.
Tongue mass, cant open mouth, dental abcesses, c-1 instability, cant lay flat less than 90 degrees etc etc etc

Of course its still a thing. A very real thing. I do about 1-2/per month. Legitimately.
Tongue mass, cant open mouth, dental abcesses, c-1 instability, cant lay flat less than 90 degrees etc etc etc

Everyone can lay flat after a bolus of propofol. 99.9% of people can open their mouth after a bolus of roc.

Everyone can lay flat after a bolus of propofol. 99.9% of people can open their mouth after a bolus of roc.
Not everyone. Go back and do more cases grasshoppa'!

Not everyone. Go back and do more cases grasshoppa'!

You do afoi and operate on patients in the sitting position because they can’t lay flat? Maybe I’ll see it by the time I hit 30,000 cases. I’ve never done afoi because the patient couldn’t lie flat.

Last edited:
You do afoi and operate on patients in the sitting position because they can’t lay flat? Maybe I’ll see it by the time I hit 30,000 cases. I’ve never done afoi because the patient couldn’t lie flat.

Fortunately our hospital has beds that can tilt so I am not forced to make a patient lay flat if they cannot tolerate it.

:rofl:

I do about 1 awake FOI per 5000 cases at a level 1 trauma center

Similar here. I've done 3 "awake" in the past year or so. 2 fiberoptic (late stage angioedema and a Ludwig's), the other "awake" glidescope for a less concerning angioedema.

Love learning and perfecting the AFOI technique, but with that being said, I have found the aforementioned glide with fiber as a bougie technique to be absolutely money on your typical anesthesia stat airways, codes, burn ICU patients, etc. Getting a nice removed view of everything with the glide and then not having to worry about schmutz obscuring your fiber camera is amazing.

Love learning and perfecting the AFOI technique, but with that being said, I have found the aforementioned glide with fiber as a bougie technique to be absolutely money on your typical anesthesia stat airways, codes, burn ICU patients, etc. Getting a nice removed view of everything with the glide and then not having to worry about schmutz obscuring your fiber camera is amazing.
Who has time for the fiber when its a code or whatever. Glidescope alone is fine most of the time.

I did one on a post-op anterior cervical patient in ICU...struggling on bipap..c collar...with a suspected esophageal laceration.

Only one I have done since residency