Awards During residency graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm working with my residency program on our graduation ceremony, and working on the structure of it. We had several changes in leadership and thus are revamping different areas of the program. One thought that we had was to give out awards to residents, like "Most Improved Resident", "Best resident teacher" "Community Service Award" or "Highest Board Score", etc. One of the fears is that there is concern that there might be backlash/jealously with residents who don't end up winning.

Since I'm very limited on my residency experiences, I was curious if there are any other residency programs that gives out awards to their residents during graduation, and what they think of this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't care, especially at the very end of training but somone else might. I would say touch base with PD or program coordinator.

Aye we give out awards, noone cares whether they got it or not. Were all so done at this point and looking toward the future noone seems to care whatsoever about residency awards.

Hi!

I'm working with my residency program on our graduation ceremony, and working on the structure of it. We had several changes in leadership and thus are revamping different areas of the program. One thought that we had was to give out awards to residents, like "Most Improved Resident", "Best resident teacher" "Community Service Award" or "Highest Board Score", etc. One of the fears is that there is concern that there might be backlash/jealously with residents who don't end up winning.

Since I'm very limited on my residency experiences, I was curious if there are any other residency programs that gives out awards to their residents during graduation, and what they think of this. Thanks!
I would not give out "Most Improved Resident". That one would just lead to drama. "Highest Board Score" is also probably impossible.

When we graduated, there was a "Resident Teacher of the Year" award that was voted on by the faculty after resident nominations - the only drama was that sometimes the faculty and the housestaff disagreed on the quality of another residents teaching, but it was fine.

We also had an "intern of the year", "PGY2 of the year", and "PGY3 of the year" that were voted on by the departmental housestaff and given out at a different ceremony earlier in the year (when some research awards were given out). It was a fun little exercise and I still have the one I won on my CV, but I doubt anyone cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Our program gives out awards. I think it’s kind of dumb and I even mentioned to our chief to tell the PD not to do it this year. We’re a small program so everyone ends up getting an award. I’m not looking forward to it this year, ha.

Most improved would be a backhanded award :unsure:

We give awards. We have a ceremony early in June for the PGY1 and PGY2 classes, then at graduation, we do PGY3 awards.

Our awards included things like a continuity clinic award, global health award, best teacher, best of each class, best researcher, etc. we also give awards to faculty for teaching by individual and division.

I'm sorry, but I hate this idea, especially the awards you listed. No one wants to be mentioned as the most improved and most people wouldn't want everyone to know they're the top board scorer. Awards are for grade school, not residency.

I'm sorry, but I hate this idea, especially the awards you listed. No one wants to be mentioned as the most improved and most people wouldn't want everyone to know they're the top board scorer. Awards are for grade school, not residency.

I have to agree. with Mass Effect on this issue...
At this point in the game, nobody cares about brownie points any more.
Rather than awards, hire a professional photographer to take photos of every graduate individually and a group photo. Then give everybody a copy.

Reactions: 3 users
Some years we have had the chiefs do this as a humorous event with made up award categories. Have to be careful that you don't "hit too close to home", I've had to impose some editorial oversight.

Reactions: 4 users
We gave out awards. Some of them were awards sponsored long ago and continued as recognition for stellar work. We gave out other awards to recognize things like best teacher, etc. For residents we gave out awards like Most dedicated, etc. I agree, saying most improved would be very backhanded. I would suggest either go with awards that praise skills/dedication/etc or go full Dunder-Mifflin dundee awards.

Great idea. You can tell all your future patients that you won the Most Improved Resident award.

Our program does awards for both faculty (favorite clinical site, favorite teaching faculty, favorite volunteer faculty, and probably a couple of others) as well as a couple of awards fo residents (outstanding contribution to medical student education and what essentially amounts to a resident MVP award).

We don't really have any of the superlative-type awards.

I attended the graduation ceremony of my wife's program - every one of their graduating resident won some form of award. They just found creative ways to award everyone.

Two days later my program had it's graduating ceremony. One resident won 5-6 awards, and only one other resident was able to prevent a clean sweep

Don't be like my program. Be like my wife's program lol

Reactions: 3 users