Away Elective Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medready2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm currently finishing up a month-long elective in a hospital that I am strongly considering for pediatrics residency training. My question is the following: I'm sure that I have made a strong impression on the attendings that I have worked with throughout the elective- what would be the best approach to have these attendings communicate these impressions to the Residency Program Director in order to help my cause??

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest meeting with the Program Director. Tell them how much you liked the program. Whom you worked with will come up in the conversation. The PD will contact them.

I would suggest meeting with the Program Director. Tell them how much you liked the program. Whom you worked with will come up in the conversation. The PD will contact them.

So how much do those conversations matter? I did not do any away rotations, for a variety of reasons, and now am increasingly concerned that I have hurt myself in terms of my chances at matching at top programs. I have honored all my courses/rotations so far, 250+ on step one, research experience including publication, some random EC's, likely very strong letters. I am applying in pediatrics, and several of my classmates have rotated at the top programs (eg CHOP, Stanford, Boston Childrens) and I've been offerred interviews at all these programs, but again, worry that my lack of having done an away and met w/ the PD will overshadow my good academic record, especially when compared to classmates who did do aways. Thank you for your input!!!

So how much do those conversations matter? I did not do any away rotations, for a variety of reasons, and now am increasingly concerned that I have hurt myself in terms of my chances at matching at top programs. I have honored all my courses/rotations so far, 250+ on step one, research experience including publication, some random EC's, likely very strong letters. I am applying in pediatrics, and several of my classmates have rotated at the top programs (eg CHOP, Stanford, Boston Childrens) and I've been offerred interviews at all these programs, but again, worry that my lack of having done an away and met w/ the PD will overshadow my good academic record, especially when compared to classmates who did do aways. Thank you for your input!!!

Stop worrying. You're going to do fine.

If you rotate at another program, common sense tells you that you should meet with the PD there. If you didn't, then don't sweat it. Your outstanding credentials are going to carry the day.

Stop worrying. You're going to do fine.

If you rotate at another program, common sense tells you that you should meet with the PD there. If you didn't, then don't sweat it. Your outstanding credentials are going to carry the day.

I am currently doing an away elective at a program. I am interested in residency in another program at the same institute. Should I meet the Program Director of my program of interest and let him know I am rotating there and who I am working with?

I am currently doing an away elective at a program. I am interested in residency in another program at the same institute. Should I meet the Program Director of my program of interest and let him know I am rotating there and who I am working with?

In general, yes. They will ask you why you are rotating in the other field, but that question is going to come up in your application anyway.

When you meet with the program director during an away elective at your top choice program, what should you talk to them about? Do you need to prepare anything? Should you bring a copy of your CV and/or personal statement? Should you be trying to sell yourself? Or trying to learn more about the program? I just feel that "selling yourself" is more during the actual interview, and learning more about the program you can do online by researching the program. So obviously I'm trying to meet with the PD just so that maybe they'll like my personality and remember me when reading my application, and to get an edge that way. But what do I actually talk to them about during the meeting? And how do I avoid making it seem like I asked for an early interview? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Be cool.

Be yourself.

Bring a pair of cold brewski's. Ok, maybe not.

Really, just go and talk. Forget about what you're going to get out of it, or what you want the PD to get out of it. Be happy, talk about your experience there, have fun. You are totally overthinking this.

I do have a similar question, i'm going for an away rotation to my #1 choice in october. Shall i contact the PD directly with an email saying i'm going to be there? or may be talk to his secretary? is asking for an interview while i'm there too much? does it hurt?

thanks!

i am in a tough situation, I got rejected by the place before I was suppose to start away rotation!
Should I still try to work the PD and impress them? or should I just give up?

i am in a tough situation, I got rejected by the place before I was suppose to start away rotation!

I would contact them and let them know you are coming for an away rotation and that would they consider reevaluating your application afterwards.

If not, I'd change the away as that would be pretty awkward.

I do have a similar question, i'm going for an away rotation to my #1 choice in october. Shall i contact the PD directly with an email saying i'm going to be there? or may be talk to his secretary? is asking for an interview while i'm there too much? does it hurt?

thanks!

I'd contact the program admin/coordinator and ask. That's probably the best way to foigure out if the PD is interested in meeting visiting students or not.

Well, you have nothing to lose. I agree with WS. Ask the PD to re-review your application to see if, with an away rotation, their opinion might change. If they say no, then you're exactly in the same place as you are now (except for perhaps getting "dumped" twice rather than once). If they say yes, then you've probably bought yourself a ranking near the bottom end of their list. But, that's better than nothing.

well i am applying for medicine and i am doing elective in subspecialty so it cant be too bad
plus its a big name institution and i intend to get some research done and papers published so it cant hurt, besides like you said i dont think i have the heart to get DUMPED TWICE, it was bad enough the 1st time lol

thanks!

I think it's better to wait until you are actually there before you contact the PD. That way you can actually talk about the program, people,etc with some knowledge. So I wouldn't bother with an email saying I'm going to be there, wait a week and send an email saying I'm here and loving it and would like to meet with you before I go.

I think it's better to wait until you are actually there before you contact the PD. That way you can actually talk about the program, people,etc with some knowledge. So I wouldn't bother with an email saying I'm going to be there, wait a week and send an email saying I'm here and loving it and would like to meet with you before I go.

thanks for the advice Law2Doc!

I do have another question, i had called the secretary before and she tried to forward my call to the "program manager", didnt go through and she said " you know what, PD busy always and i dont think you'll get to see him while you're here" :confused: what shall i do, email PD directly when i'm there? :scared: