Away Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to search this question but it is so long that I didn't get results for it. So I wanted to ask it here. What should you say if you are interviewing in a region where you did an away at one hospital and not the other. What if they ask you why did you do an away there and not here? What should you say to them?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I tried to search this question but it is so long that I didn't get results for it. So I wanted to ask it here. What should you say if you are interviewing in a region where you did an away at one hospital and not the other. What if they ask you why did you do an away there and not here? What should you say to them?
You should tell them whatever your reason for doing the away there was.

Hello,

This may be a little out there but...perhaps you could just answer the question truthfully. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be truthful. Even if it's something like "no free housing". PDs know that you can't go everywhere, and as long as your reason isn't "well, I didn't really want to come here but I'm not as competitive as I thought."

There are these two programs in the same region and I want to end up at the one I am rotating more than the other one. But come match day I would be okay if I matched at either one to stay in ye region. I am guessing during the interview I can't tell the place I didn't rotate at that I don't like them as much but I will be okay if they were the ones I matched at right?

There are these two programs in the same region and I want to end up at the one I am rotating more than the other one. But come match day I would be okay if I matched at either one to stay in ye region. I am guessing during the interview I can't tell the place I didn't rotate at that I don't like them as much but I will be okay if they were the ones I matched at right?

"I only had time for one more away and Program X accepted me first so I went there."

I rotated at one place in NYC, and when asked at others New York programs why I rotated there I talked about how it was very different from my home institution and wanted to see another style of practice. So if you did an away at a county type place, you can tell the community places that you wanted to see county or vice versa.