Away Rads Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMasochist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out whether to do 2 or 3 months of rads away rotations. I talked to a recent rads resident from my school and he recommended me doing 3 away rotations because it would "guarantee" me 3 interviews at those institutions. In his experience, had he not rotated at the institutions he did during his MS4, he would not have received interviews from any of those places. It also turns out he matched where he did an away. Now supposing that my stats are barely above average for rads and I'm not applying to any "top 10" programs, should I heed his advice? Also does 3 months of rads look unfavorable on my application? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a huge waste of time and money. If you are not shooting for the top programs, you don't need to do aways to get interviews at the rest of the programs, assuming you are a slightly above avg. candidates in all other ways.

I don't think anyone would fault you for doing 3 months of rads. I know at least one resident at a top 10 rads program who did 4, along with several residents who did 0 aways. I agree that aways will usually result in a guaranteed interview (unless you make a bad impression), and can only help you in terms of matching (unless you make a bad impression). (Don't make a bad impression. ;)

I've heard my PD say he doesn't think doing a lot of rads rotations as a student is the best thing - as a radiologist, you'll be consulting all specialties about their pathology, so it's helpful to use the time to work with a broader range of clinicians and become familiar with their language and thought process. Having said that, I highly doubt anyone would actually hold it against you if it's what you feel like you need to do to get where you want to be. You'd also probably be able to get a great radiology letter, which can be hard to come by since so much of what students do is watching in radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do agree with Alex that you don't *need* to do aways in radiology to get interviews. Apply broadly and you'll get some great ones.

I did an outside rotation at my #1. I will let you know in less than a month if it was worthwhile.

So I'm trying to figure out whether to do 2 or 3 months of rads away rotations. I talked to a recent rads resident from my school and he recommended me doing 3 away rotations because it would "guarantee" me 3 interviews at those institutions. In his experience, had he not rotated at the institutions he did during his MS4, he would not have received interviews from any of those places. It also turns out he matched where he did an away. Now supposing that my stats are barely above average for rads and I'm not applying to any "top 10" programs, should I heed his advice? Also does 3 months of rads look unfavorable on my application? Thanks.

Consider doing an away rotation in interventional radiology. You'll have plenty more involvement as a student, be able to show your abilities, and a better chance for a great letter of rec to boot. That is, if IR is something you're interested in, and you make a good impression.

Will an IR away (or any subspecialty rads away for that matter) help me get an interview?

Maybe or maybe not. Just have to try and see what happens.

Usually (not always) programs will give you an interview if you rotated there. Usually programs will not rank you highly just because you rotated there.

Doing an IR away probably gives you a better chance of actually doing something to impress attendings since you can help out with cases, see consults, and follow up on patients. Everybody knows you barely do anything on a general rads rotation when you basically just watch people dictate.

Now whether or not you get a courtesy interview depends on the program you rotate at. Some places will, some won't.

What do you guys do during the interview season (Nov-Jan)?
Would you advise not doing any aways during these times?

I would not do an away during interviews, just because you don't want to be asking for time off on an away.

so from Nov-Jan you guys wouldn't recommend any rotations..

I would think if someone where to do 10-15 rad interviews + any TY/Prelim interviews, those months have got to be free from any rotation responsibilities..
I'll have to check to see if I'm even allowed to do that.

I would think if someone where to do 10-15 rad interviews + any TY/Prelim interviews, those months have got to be free from any rotation responsibilities..
Just don't schedule anything important or required during that period.
Surely your school has some blow off rotations where people are cool with you missing many days for interviews. Ask your MS4s.
Classes like research, anatomy, pathology were good for that.

I had EM where I could schedule and shuffle shifts and then over 6 weeks off because I rolled step 2 study time over. Every school is different, so just have to see what yours does.

Ok cool.

I also have another question, can an IR letter count as your required "radiology" letter?
I know places want at least one radiology letter, but I don't really know if it has to be a DR letter per se.

I had 22 total interviews (prelim + rads) to attend between Nov 1st through Jan 25th. I was on MSK radiology rotation in November and missed only 4 days or so as I stacked 3 of my interviews in a row. December and January I was on two anatomy months that didn't require me to physically be there so that helped a lot.

My school also gives us 2 months of free time made for interviewing. I used one in July for Step 2 CS and CK (took them within 5 days of one other) and saving the second free month for April to finish a month early and go on a nice long vacation.

Didn't do any away rotations...paying double rent to shadow someone wasn't something I was looking forward to.

Edit: As far as letters, I had 4. 1 DR (chairman), 1 IR (research with him for 3 years), 1 family medicine, 1 internal medicine.

I didn't do any aways when I applied (2010-2011). I thought they would be a waste of time and if I wanted to learn more about a program I liked I would just go back for a second look (never did this in the end). I just ended up spending extra time on interview trips (added a couple of fun days in the city to really get a feel if I would like to live there).

My rule is, if you think you will be hurt by the away rotation (you have a solid paper app and don't think you can be "ON" for a month or two weeks straight or whatever), then don't do it. Its pretty simple. Some top programs don't guarantee interviews to away rotators anyways. Now that would be the biggest waste of time!

P.S. I'm a resident at UCSD if anyone has any questions they want to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
yea ive heard the same about away rotations.. and decided not to do them either. it cant help you, it can either hurt you or do nothing for you.