Away roation at pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which hospital is the best to rotate at for an away rotation? There is mercy and the option of others...i'm a bit confused (which is normal)...but which is best to get good exposure/experience/face time with the PD?
Anyone match there??? didn't see many people rank or mention pitt..
thanks for the help!
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I matched at Pitt for this coming year, but I didn't do an away rotation there so I can't speak specifically as to which place is better to do a rotation as a 4th year. I also don't know if Pitt offers the option of doing 2 weeks @ UPMC and 2 at Mercy, but my home institution had a similar setup and I found that worked well for me. Working at the two sites would give you face time with the most attendings as possible, experience EM in two different settings, and scout out the two places where, in aggregate, you'd spend 90% of your time during residency. In terms of face time with the PD, I think Dr. Wolfson (can't bring myself to call him Abby just yet) only works @ UPMC though - however, I wouldn't worry about that. You'll get a chance to meet him and by doing well in the rotation, you'll help make yourself known.

Again, I don't know what Pitt does specifically for 4th years, but I would look into doing a combined Mercy and UPMC if it's offered. Ask me in 4 months and mabye my answer will change :cool:

CalypsoGP said:
I matched at Pitt for this coming year, but I didn't do an away rotation there so I can't speak specifically as to which place is better to do a rotation as a 4th year. I also don't know if Pitt offers the option of doing 2 weeks @ UPMC and 2 at Mercy, but my home institution had a similar setup and I found that worked well for me. Working at the two sites would give you face time with the most attendings as possible, experience EM in two different settings, and scout out the two places where, in aggregate, you'd spend 90% of your time during residency. In terms of face time with the PD, I think Dr. Wolfson (can't bring myself to call him Abby just yet) only works @ UPMC though - however, I wouldn't worry about that. You'll get a chance to meet him and by doing well in the rotation, you'll help make yourself known.

Again, I don't know what Pitt does specifically for 4th years, but I would look into doing a combined Mercy and UPMC if it's offered. Ask me in 4 months and mabye my answer will change :cool:

thanks for the info! There is a Mercy rotation and a Pitt/West/something else. I signed up for pitt et al, and just hope i get my time at pitt. Seems well organized and I'll be happy just to be in the area (hopefully show programs I WANT to be in the midatlantic/ohio river valley area). I'd love to hear what you thought about pitt's program (strength /weaknesses), why you ranked them, and what they look for in applicants...either on the forum or PM me if you want. Thanks again!
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I can maybe add some more info. I am also starting at Pitt this coming year as well. I ended up ranking Pitt number one for a few reasons. I thought some of the strengths was the pre-hospital exposure. I think it is really well done and really does give you something in regards to helping you think on your feet and being on your own. I thought the residents there were pretty awesome. I did the pre-dinner and the lunch thing and I had a great time. I really saw how they were all smart, but also liked to have fun. They all seemed very dedicated to the field and the program which was important to me. Also for a three-year program (I know I am doing a fellowship) was key as it is a very well-regarded program. I also really though Abby was great and knowing he is the PD is a strength, very down-to-earth person.
I think a common cited weakness is the location, some don't really dig pittsburgh. I personally lived near there for a year and I do like the location. As for what I think they look for, I got the sense they try to pick residents who are obvioulsy smart and hardworking, but also those who have real outside interests. I don't think you necessarily have to do a rotation there, I am from NY-Boston, so I never did an away. If you know you want to and think you will perform well, then it might be a good idea. In either case good-luck!

Thanks for the info....anyone else out there have knowledge about pitt? I got my stuff from mercy, but still nothing from the pitt rotation... yet...