Away Rotation and Fellowship Interviews

Started by xpxn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xpxn

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I will be applying for the Spring Fellowship Match next year, but I will also be doing an away rotation abroad early Feb-early March. Would those of you that have done it say that that most of the interviews take place during February or would I be ok scheduling them for January and March?
 
Depends on specialty. I think Peds Hem/Onc was more Jan/Feb but most others were more Feb/March. Many programs won't even extend interviews til after New Years so getting January interviews can be tough. I think only having one month of the main cycle to interview in will be difficult- especially when considering the need to work with residency to have time off needed to go to interviews. Most of us had to use a week of vacation in 2 consecutive months and creative scheduling but maybe your program is different.
 
At least for heme/onc, it seems like the majority of interviews are Feb-March. A few programs start in late Jan, and a few will continue into April. I'd say that most people wind up having at least one busy month during interview season, so as long as two of Jan/Mar/April is a lighter rotation that will allow you to go for interviews, you're probably fine.