Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2006
4,768
2
In my skin, when I jump out you jump in!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, I was thinking. Most people do their EM Sub-I at home, then go away and try to impress whatever program they want to match at, right? Well, right now my home institution is one of my top choices.

So should I try to do an away rotation somewhere else and then do my Sub-I to be more impressive, or is this shady?


Thanks for any help :oops:
 

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
1,304
288
40
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
Hard24Get said:
So, I was thinking. Most people do their EM Sub-I at home, then go away and try to impress whatever program they want to match at, right? Well, right now my home institution is one of my top choices.

So should I try to do an away rotation somewhere else and then do my Sub-I to be more impressive, or is this shady?


Thanks for any help :oops:
Not shady at all. I was in the same situation as an MS-4, and I did my away before doing my home rotation.
 
About the Ads
OP
Hard24Get

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2006
4,768
2
In my skin, when I jump out you jump in!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hercules said:
Not shady at all. I was in the same situation as an MS-4, and I did my away before doing my home rotation.

Hey, thanks a ton for responding! Did you do a community or academic away, and did the strategy work ;) ?
 

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
4,227
16
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
I think the sharpest you'll ever been as a med student will be around this point. You've got the energy and drive to do well. The learning curve (IMHO) as an M4 is flattened out, as you've got your sights set on the other stuff.

As long as you do a rotation between now and fall or early winter I think you're fine. Try not to think that the more rotations you do now will help bolster your ability to do well on a rotation. Just get yourself into the EM mindset and WORK HARD on your rotation. There are plenty of tips on how to do well on an audition rotation (try page 5 of MS4 thread here). You need to get a strong LOR early on, too, so don't stack your rotaiton too late.

Q
 
OP
Hard24Get

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2006
4,768
2
In my skin, when I jump out you jump in!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DrQuinn said:
I think the sharpest you'll ever been as a med student will be around this point. You've got the energy and drive to do well. The learning curve (IMHO) as an M4 is flattened out, as you've got your sights set on the other stuff.

As long as you do a rotation between now and fall or early winter I think you're fine. Try not to think that the more rotations you do now will help bolster your ability to do well on a rotation. Just get yourself into the EM mindset and WORK HARD on your rotation. There are plenty of tips on how to do well on an audition rotation (try page 5 of MS4 thread here). You need to get a strong LOR early on, too, so don't stack your rotaiton too late.

Q
Thanks, Dr. Quinn! I think you're right about having everything we need to do well, but I think the confidence factor is also huge, especially for me because I was out 4 years in the middle of clinics. :oops:
 

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
1,304
288
40
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
Hard24Get said:
Hey, thanks a ton for responding! Did you do a community or academic away, and did the strategy work ;) ?
I did an academic away at a place that was heavy on didactics. It turned out great. I learned a lot and snagged some SLORs that really helped me in the application process. I don't think a community (if by community you mean a place without an EM residency program) rotation would do you any good. For one thing you wouldn't be able to get a SLOR from it.
 

bartleby

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
447
4
Status
It depends. If you're just doing an away rotation someplace that fits into your schedule, that's fine. I would not, however, do an away rotation at the program of your dreams never having done an EM rotation before. From this standpoint, you are going to be the sharpest after having gotten the lay of the land a bit. It can be different adjusting to the fast-paced environment of the ED when your head is still swimming from 3 hour medicine rounds. You are going to be more impressive as a candidate on your second rotation when you can put some of the experience and constructive criticism from your first rotation to work.
 
About the Ads