Away rotation decision: STICU or Surgical Oncology

Started by Premed798
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premed798

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been offered a choice between selecting STICU or Surgical Oncology (breast and soft tissue only) as the service for my 1st GenSurg away rotation. Which one would benefit me the most in helping me match at the institution? I've never rotated through either one of these services during 3rd year at my home institution.
 
I would see what the faculty staffing situation is for both of those services before making a decision, but I’d lean toward surg onc. A lot of ICU’s have rotating weekly attending coverage, which could make it hard to get to know a single attending well enough to have them write you a strong LOR. It can also be hard to stand out in the ICU as a student. You’re pretty much judged solely on your presentations (the goalposts can change every week with the attending) and the subject matter is often difficult. Surg onc will probably give you more continuity with one or two attendings so you can get a good letter and you’ll get the opportunity to show your skill in the OR, at rounding, presenting, and working up consults/clinic patients.