Away rotation location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmmcentire

DMMD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. MS3 here planning on radiation oncology. My home institution does not have a residency program so I'm forced to look elsewhere. My questions:

1) My school allows a maximum of 3 away rotations. Is it really necessary to do all 3? (sound$ pricey)

2) Should I pick away rotations based on geographic area? This might be a question so let me explain. My school is in the midwest so I have no ties to either Eastern or Western states. If I do aways primarily in the Midwest does that essentially exclude me from consideration by non-Midwest residencies?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. MS3 here planning on radiation oncology. My home institution does not have a residency program so I'm forced to look elsewhere. My questions:

1) My school allows a maximum of 3 away rotations. Is it really necessary to do all 3? (sound$ pricey)

2) Should I pick away rotations based on geographic area? This might be a question so let me explain. My school is in the midwest so I have no ties to either Eastern or Western states. If I do aways primarily in the Midwest does that essentially exclude me from consideration by non-Midwest residencies?

Thanks for your time.

1. Depends on your stats. If you're an allstar, then maybe not. However, it does help do three aways (the cost of getting into the field you really wanna do). Especially helps with point #2
2. Geographic bias is, in general, a thing in the radiation oncology application process. Ideally, if you have an interest in doing rad onc you should try to open up the north east geographically. A rotation somewhere in the north east would likely benefit you.