Away Rotations at Top Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that just because you're a community-oriented program, not a research program? I'm assuming that because I am a strong research candidate, a program that I don't have a geographical link to but make a strong case for my research interest in (Stanford is a good example of this) would be more inclined to invite me for an interview. I can't imagine why having spent a month at Stanford would necessarily help me out at UCSF or UCLA, although I have heard this argument before - "prove that you have an interest in that geographical region with an away rotation." Okay, I guess so?

I mean I'm well aware of the importance of networking, reaching out to PDs, having my advisor reach out if necessary. I'm also well aware of research fit as a concept, and doing my homework and selling my research compatibility with a program in my personal statement. This is how I got into grad school in the first place and frankly, research fit is my main motivator anyway. Given all that I'd be surprised if a PD at a program looked at my personal statement where I make the case that I'm a strong research fit and said "eh but you've never lived in Southern California / Portland / Texas / wherever so therefore you could not possibly be interested in our program bye." An away seems like a good thing to do if I'm in love with ONE place, but right now I don't have one top choice.

I know the cost of an away pales in comparison to med school and application costs, but I'm not in debt and I've lived on a stipend for 8 years. It really is a factor for me.
As a super strong research candidate, you don't need to worry about "opening" new geographic regions by doing aways there. Things are different for research applicants, it really becomes about the alignment of research interests more than anything (geography etc). Research oriented programs will be extatic to see that someone with your CV has research interests compatible with them. You don't need to do any aways. Seriously.

Members don't see this ad.