Away Rotations for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxostudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did 4 audition rotations in the fall last year. 3 community programs. 1 university near my home-town.

Didn't feel like it helped my application all that well. It did help me determine my rank list a lot. You rotate w/ other auditioners, you talk to enough residents that tell you what they liked/disliked about certain programs.

Auditions were not really needed for internal medicine. It can be helpful if you have a specific interest in one program. Moreso it will help you determine if you actually like the program or you just like the program on paper. You really won't wow anybody in person to make them want to rank to match.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't have to do auditions to match IM but it can be worthwhile to try and do one at an academic/university program and/or a place that may be a reach or you have serious interest in. As stated above, it can help you when it comes time to applying and ranking. As far as how much impact your time at a specific place has on your chances there, it is going to depend on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my program we had an open invitation to email the pd and tell them if there were any students we thought were really good. It wouldn't turn a non interview into an interview, but could bump you up on the rank list. Not a huge difference all in all.

Not really necessary unless you have a program outside of your geographic range that probably wouldn’t interview you if you didn’t rotate there. Also, if you’re wanting to go to an academic IM program you need to apply to more places... for reference I had a 235 and 569 on level 1 and a 255 and 779 on level 2 and applied to around 35 programs and only got like 11 interviews (granted 10/11 were academic programs but all were within the south/Midwest where I grew up).

Reactions: 1 user
Not really necessary unless you have a program outside of your geographic range that probably wouldn’t interview you if you didn’t rotate there. Also, if you’re wanting to go to an academic IM program you need to apply to more places... for reference I had a 235 and 569 on level 1 and a 255 and 779 on level 2 and applied to around 35 programs and only got like 11 interviews (granted 10/11 were academic programs but all were within the south/Midwest where I grew up).
Does this change with our class (c/o 2024) having level 1 and step 1 p/f? Or does step2 and level 2 keep IM as is for now with those being the stratifying criteria that PDs use?

Does this change with our class (c/o 2024) having level 1 and step 1 p/f? Or does step2 and level 2 keep IM as is for now with those being the stratifying criteria that PDs use?
I'm not a PD but if I were one I'd probably do the initial screening for an interview by Step 2/Level 2 and treat it the same way they currently do for Level 1/Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user