Away rotations, good vs bad ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopefully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I searched but couldn't find an old thread on this idea, so I'll post it. If there is an old thread on it perhaps someone could school me and link it up. If not, well then I figure this is a good time for this thread before the c/o 2010 moves on...

In terms of aways:

-Which ones give you access to the big wigs for some good old fashioned letter writing?

-Which ones allow you to network with the attendings?

-Which runs scut you to death and give you little exposure to everyone in the dept?

-Any other away rotation impressions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Congrats on the match everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

PM's also work if you are worried about confidentiality....I can cut and paste...

Wake Forest - Lots of flexibility, lots of opportunity to get research done and strut your stuff in the clinics. Dr. Feldman cranks out like 6-7 publications a month. Apply for the research elective, not the clinical elective. The clinical elective is always filled by home students (both derm and non-derm students).

MUSC - I did the derm surg elective with Dr. Cook, which was amazing. The practice is super busy and he never refers his patients to plastics, which means you get to see lots of flaps/techniques/grafts that you wouldn't see with a more conservative surgeon. Downside - for purposes of getting an interview or impressing the people that are heading the rank list committee, it is difficult to bounce between derm clinic and Mohs clinic in such a short period of time. If you chose to do the derm surg elective, touch base with Dr. Pollack, the PD, on the first day and get his packet of knowledge (you'll know if you come here), and study it, because I got burned for not knowing answers to questions that were in the packet.

UVA - very traditional (cryo-therapy with Q-tips, overhead projector with slides), has quite the family feel to it (attendings and residents sit at the same lunch table almost everyday). Mostly clinical, not much opportunity for students to do research, no cosmetics. Rotating here guarantees you an interview, done during the rotation, and it is difficult to get an interview if you don't rotate here (they invite ~12 newbies).

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, VSAS is an unrefined machine. Remember that VSAS is creating 2 middle men between you and the department (student services + the VSAS system itself). Once you apply through VSAS, touch base with the department (by email or phone call) in order to express your interest and get information on when they will select applicants.

UNC - personally touch base with the department if you want to apply. They select all 4 of their away rotators fairly early in the year. The away rotation counts as your interview.

Duke - they also select all their away rotators at the same time. They require a personal statement. It's a tedious and long application.

ECU - I don't think they took any away rotators this past year.