Away Rotations in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MesoForm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a lot of sports med websites, including the AMSSM, recommend away rotations in residency (2 week or 4 week) at a fellowship program sometime in the spring of 2nd year or early 3rd year. However, I'm working on setting up my second year schedule and I'm getting pushback from my program about this (newer program in FM) saying that there are issues with paying me while I'm off campus and that there are issues about keeping residents on campus during the first several years of a new program. Anyone know about this and how to work around it? I think if I push hard enough I can make it happen but I didn't think there would be this many walls to getting a proper away rotation with a fellowship.

Fortunately, there is a sports med doctor locally that we have some relationship with that I could rotate with as a backup for a month, but he isn't associated with a fellowship (although he did train at a quality place).

Members don't see this ad.

It’s residency dependent. Some programs don’t offer their residents the opportunity to take off-site elective rotations.

So a lot of sports med websites, including the AMSSM, recommend away rotations in residency (2 week or 4 week) at a fellowship program sometime in the spring of 2nd year or early 3rd year. However, I'm working on setting up my second year schedule and I'm getting pushback from my program about this (newer program in FM) saying that there are issues with paying me while I'm off campus and that there are issues about keeping residents on campus during the first several years of a new program. Anyone know about this and how to work around it? I think if I push hard enough I can make it happen but I didn't think there would be this many walls to getting a proper away rotation with a fellowship.

Fortunately, there is a sports med doctor locally that we have some relationship with that I could rotate with as a backup for a month, but he isn't associated with a fellowship (although he did train at a quality place).
It would suck but if you could get a 2-week vacation block, I'd just do it then. Worst case scenario. You definitely should get a rotation though