Away Rotations w/o VSAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoctorM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year DO student and getting confused about the process... Many of the 4th years at my school warned us to prepare our aways/ Sub-Is as early as December - January, and that they didn't have much success via VSAS. but I'm calling all the programs I am interested in and all of them have replied that they do not accept non-VSAS applicants.. and most of their VSAS applications open in March - May.

Am I just not talking to the right people? They wouldn't/ couldn't even provide me the vaccination requirements for this year (I want to take care of that stuff asap). Anyone has any experience getting auditions w/o VSAS and could provide me some tips? it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year DO student and getting confused about the process... Many of the 4th years at my school warned us to prepare our aways/ Sub-Is as early as December - January, and that they didn't have much success via VSAS. but I'm calling all the programs I am interested in and all of them have replied that they do not accept non-VSAS applicants.. and most of their VSAS applications open in March - May.

Am I just not talking to the right people? They wouldn't/ couldn't even provide me the vaccination requirements for this year (I want to take care of that stuff asap). Anyone has any experience getting auditions w/o VSAS and could provide me some tips? it would be greatly appreciated.

What part of the country do you live in? East coast, midwest, west coast? What specialty are you looking for? There are some places that don't require VSAS applications.

What part of the country do you live in? East coast, midwest, west coast? What specialty are you looking for? There are some places that don't require VSAS applications.

I live in the West Coast and am trying to get into psychiatry. Do you have a link to non-VSAS required rotations? It would help me a lot. Or any tips would be great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know about away rotations in big hospitals around the east coast? Is it too late for those hospitals that don't use vsas?

I'm a 4th year MD student from the mid-west and am applying to psychiatry. I did a rotation at UCLA and their psychiatry away rotations do not require VSAS (they have their own application packet). I'm unsure about other programs on the west coast.

As far as emergency medicine goes, I know that Christus Spohn in Corpus Christi and JPS in Fort Worth schedule aways outside of VSAS (forms and info on their websites). I think UAB and Christiana Care are also outside of VSAS.