Away rotations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BozoSparky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was asked by a 3rd year what the "acceptance rate" is for away rotations and how many to apply to (I didn't do an away).

I'm sure this is highly variable depending on the student and the program, but your experience would be appreciated (or if there's thread I missed...let me know).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the two programs that i know, there is no real "selection" of applications for away rotations, it is more a matter of availability, which is first-come-first-serve. they were both pretty fast at getting back to me about their open spots, but they did not take applications more than 4 months in advance.

It definitely depends on where and when. If you're looking for a July/Aug spot at HROP/MSKCC/MDACC then you're going to be competing with a huge number of students and it pretty much will come down to luck. In that case you'd be wise to apply to a number of different programs. I did my away in June at one of those and ended up being the only med student on rotation. Obviously this depends highly on your home institution and when they let you do aways. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. Here at Vanderbilt there is no "selection process" per se. I would emphasize to your friend to choose a program where he or she has a realistic shot of being admitted (based on GPA/Step scores/publications/etc).

An away rotation is a great way for a student to get to know a program and for a program to get to know a student. That being said, just remind your friend to bring his or her A-game for the whole month. :)