Awkwardness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been working at a vet hospital since January. The summer assistants are about to start and one of them didn't get into vet school this cycle. I got into 3. I feel bad about this. I guess I want to minimize the weirdness. Have any of you dealt with this situation? Obviously I don't want to be like, "When I go to vet school this fall...blah, blah." How should I handle this and be respectful of her?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I didn't get in this year (next year I will, dangit!) and here's what I would want a colleague to do, so take it as my 2 cents.

It's fine to talk about vet school and to be excited, as long as it's not THE ONLY THING that you talk about. I guess if your coworkers start giving you the stink-eye, then that means they don't want to hear any more about it. :)

Be supportive of them if they are planning to re-apply this summer - a sincere "you can do it" means a lot. (If you can't be sincere, though, don't try this - it comes off as patronizing).

Of course make sure to keep being a good work colleague - pull your weight, don't become bossy or know-it-all, etc.

Congratulations!!

I'd echo what Sheltergirl stated.

A main problem that has the potential to occur is a whole lot of resentment being expressed towards you. The "I can't believe she got in to vet school, she doesn't even know how to do (Insert skill here)" mentality has the potential to rear its head.

Then again this may not occur. It really depends on your coworker's personality. Frankly if I were that person working with you I'd be giving you the third degree, asking you to read over my personal statement, and basically try to squeeze all the information I could get out of you.

Either way you are probably going to have to play it by ear and see how this person reacts initially.

Members don't see this ad :)
The summer assistants are about to start and one of them didn't get into vet school this cycle.
Since the statistics suggest that *most* applicants don't get into vet school, it would be even weirder if the new crop of employees didn't include anyone who was rejected.

My point there is that this gal could be just as good an applicant as you, and by some random turn of luck got rejected from all the schools you were accepted at. She probably doesn't want to hear you *say* that explicitly, because it will sound patronizing. But if you concentrate on seeing her as the victim of bad luck rather than someone who couldn't cut it, I think that will help engender a non-offensive attitude.

i haven't got accepted yet...but I hate when I catch myself talking vet school 24/7....especially after going thru hearing my pharmacy friends do the same thing...it's hard not to be accepted though!!

some people are going to be jealous of your success and will nitpick at everything no matter how nice/competent you are. Just remember its their problem and not yours....and just stay focused on your success!!

I agree with all. Definitely be proud of yourself! But conscience of the other kids. I work with a girls who was accepted this year...and I am so excited for her...I think I talk about it more than her!
However, I worked with a woman who had been rejected to every school she applied to last year...we had discussed how we would both be applying this summer (my first time) and she automatically made the assumption that because she had applied before she would get in and I most likely wouldn't.
I wouldn't worry about a weird vibe. Be proud and supportive.
And congratulations!!!!!!!:clap:

One of my best friends and I applied to 2 of the same schools. I got wait-listed on both. She got rejected from one and accepted to the other. At first hearing that I was wait-listed at the school she got accepted to- I was devastated for about a day and wouldn't have wanted to talk too much about the situation. Really though after a couple of days, the "sting" wore off and I was really happy for her and still hopeful for my situation. It helped that she wasn't gloating or acting superior or anything. She was just thankful thet she got in( and I didn't blame her)
Since then I have gotten off the wait list and probably we will be roomies next year!
I think being humble and empathetic is the key.

you shouldn't feel bad. if she asks, tell her the truth. otherwise there's no need to lie or cover anything up. if she's got any kind of brain at all, she won't be jealous or have bad feelings towards you.