This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted587054

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here received an acceptance yet? I have my interview next week and I'm feeling nervous. I applied MD/DO and I didn't receive any interviews probably due to my low science GPA (3.2) but I'm really liking what I've seen about this program.

Any advice for the interview? How long after the interview did y'all hear back (if accepted)?

Members don't see this ad.

I had my interview on Tuesday. Have you heard back yet from your interview? Best of luck to you.
Hello! Yes, I heard maybe one or two days after that. Email and phone call in the afternoon. Good luck!

I just got accepted. It took a couple weeks after the application (I just transferred my DO application) to get an invite to schedule an interview. After the interview it took a couple weeks. They said the admissions committee meets every couple of weeks so I'm guessing a few weeks is average.
I'm still on the fence, though. It's a lot of money and a lot of time/work for an interview. I really want to be a doctor, but I also want my family to be happy and not have a bunch of debt with a degree that is only useful to get into a professional school. I almost feel selfish for wanting to be a doctor. My current job doesn't pay the best, and we're largely forgotten by the rest of the hospital except to be a scapegoat, but it's not bad, and it's very stable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted. It took a couple weeks after the application (I just transferred my DO application) to get an invite to schedule an interview. After the interview it took a couple weeks. They said the admissions committee meets every couple of weeks so I'm guessing a few weeks is average.
I'm still on the fence, though. It's a lot of money and a lot of time/work for an interview. I really want to be a doctor, but I also want my family to be happy and not have a bunch of debt with a degree that is only useful to get into a professional school. I almost feel selfish for wanting to be a doctor. My current job doesn't pay the best, and we're largely forgotten by the rest of the hospital except to be a scapegoat, but it's not bad, and it's very stable.

I see that as motivation to do well

It’s risky, but if you really want to be a doctor and believe you have what it takes, it’s worth it. It would be on you to make sure you do well.. or else.. yeah, it’s money down the drain lol. Also, probably make sure your MCAT is up to par first. That way, you can start applying now and hopefully start med school right after.

Alternately, you could always try postbac classes if it was only a few classes that gave you trouble. It wouldn’t hurt the wallet as much lol

I see that as motivation to do well

It’s risky, but if you really want to be a doctor and believe you have what it takes, it’s worth it. It would be on you to make sure you do well.. or else.. yeah, it’s money down the drain lol. Also, probably make sure your MCAT is up to par first. That way, you can start applying now and hopefully start med school right after.

Alternately, you could always try postbac classes if it was only a few classes that gave you trouble. It wouldn’t hurt the wallet as much lol
I do see it as motivation to do well. You're totally right. It's the lack of any sort of guarantee that freaks me out a little. I don't think they hold any spots open for the MABS students in the DO program so you're competing with your fellow students for spots that hopefully open up. We'll be applying at the end of the application cycle. It's just scary is all. If it was just me, or just me and my wife, I wouldn't be apprehensive. It's the family aspect that frightens me. I am responsible for my kids. I don't know if you have children, but that kind of responsibility hits hard for me. I'm leaving my job that has allowed me to buy a house, food, toys, etc. for a dream. A great dream, but a dream nonetheless. That's scary and feels selfish.

As for the rest, I think I really just need a gpa boost. My sgpa is only 2.83, but my MCAT is 512 (although my behavioral was only 125). I work in a hospital and have clinical experience and I've had a good amount volunteer work, I think. It's just a big decision. That's all. I'm now freaking out about it and posting on a random message board.

I do see it as motivation to do well. You're totally right. It's the lack of any sort of guarantee that freaks me out a little. I don't think they hold any spots open for the MABS students in the DO program so you're competing with your fellow students for spots that hopefully open up. We'll be applying at the end of the application cycle. It's just scary is all. If it was just me, or just me and my wife, I wouldn't be apprehensive. It's the family aspect that frightens me. I am responsible for my kids. I don't know if you have children, but that kind of responsibility hits hard for me. I'm leaving my job that has allowed me to buy a house, food, toys, etc. for a dream. A great dream, but a dream nonetheless. That's scary and feels selfish.

As for the rest, I think I really just need a gpa boost. My sgpa is only 2.83, but my MCAT is 512 (although my behavioral was only 125). I work in a hospital and have clinical experience and I've had a good amount volunteer work, I think. It's just a big decision. That's all. I'm now freaking out about it and posting on a random message board.

I’ve been there too.. last year and I regretted not doing it this past year.

Congrats on the MCAT! I’ll also be applying to other programs and updating them with my progress, and worst case scenario, I’ll apply after finishing the masters next year if I don’t hear back, though DO schools tend to have long app cycles so we probably would be able to get interviews in Spring and maybe even December.

As long as your family is okay with it, I’m sure they will support your decision either way! Good luck!

I’ve been there too.. last year and I regretted not doing it this past year.

Congrats on the MCAT! I’ll also be applying to other programs and updating them with my progress, and worst case scenario, I’ll apply after finishing the masters next year if I don’t hear back, though DO schools tend to have long app cycles so we probably would be able to get interviews in Spring and maybe even December.

As long as your family is okay with it, I’m sure they will support your decision either way! Good luck!
Thanks! I went to the school and talked to admissions and financial aid a couple days ago. Talking to admissions made me feel better. Talking to financial aid was horrifying, as expected. The amount of money involved is a known factor. Honestly, I think I'm going to do it. I'll see you there!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was in the MABS program 2018-2019 and recently uploaded a video covering the program in detail! I've linked it here below. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the program.

>>>>>MWU MABS BIOMED VIDEO LINK<<<<<<

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question about when to apply for dental program since I m currently accepted to the MABS program. Should I apply to aadsas before the MABS program starts or wait until the first quarter? Do I use the recommendation letters I already have or should I get the letters after the first quarter from the professors in the program?

Accepted yesterday. Is there a FB page or something?

I got placed on the alternate list and I still haven’t received any updates :(
Oh darn. I would call admissions if I were you because when I interviewed on July 24 they said they wanted to make final decisions by July 31. I was initially going to be in the 9-month program but they advised me to go into the 2-year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the requirements (gpa and mcat) for guaranteed interview?

Depends, I have heard low MCAT scores and GPAs get you into the dental and medical programs. Seriously, just finish the MA or MBS and you're in.

Depends, I have heard low MCAT scores and GPAs get you into the dental and medical programs. Seriously, just finish the MA or MBS and you're in.
Hmm really? I’m not doing as well as I hoped this semester so I’m super worried. Does anyone know any official stats on how many people were accepted or if they know people with low stats who completed the program and still got in?

Hello all! this is bit late but any advice is appreciated! For anyone who was an alum or knows any stats what are the chances of doing well in the program (lets say 3.5 gpa) and getting into AZCOM? Im hearing mixed reviews of its mainly based on GPA but then also hearing mainly MCAT?
I’m an alum and currently waitlisted at both AZCOM and CCOM. Completed MABS at Arizona in 2019. I don’t know about GPA but I know several people who got in from my grad class with an MCAT that did not meet articulation agreement.

My advice would be to just focus on doing well in the program and if you’re considering retaking the MCAT then talk to your advisor and admissions first.

i couldn't find an active thread, so if anyone has any input for the program... any pros/cons, let me know! i just got accepted into the 9 month program and trying to decide between MWU AZ or Rutgers. thank you!!

Changes every year for MCAT but GPA is 3.0 and MCAT is 1 Standard Dev from the previous incoming class (~501-504)

I’m an alum and currently waitlisted at both AZCOM and CCOM. Completed MABS at Arizona in 2019. I don’t know about GPA but I know several people who got in from my grad class with an MCAT that did not meet articulation agreement.

My advice would be to just focus on doing well in the program and if you’re considering retaking the MCAT then talk to your advisor and admissions first.
How doable is it to get about a 3.3 in the program?

How doable is it to get about a 3.3 in the program?
I wouldn’t say that’s a difficult goal to achieve, you’ll still have to work for it and obviously you want to aim higher. The point is to prove that you can handle the pace and course load.

Sorry for the bother. Quick question regarding the MABS program. When do we apply for dental school. Is it during the program or before in advance or after the program finishes ?

Sorry for the bother. Quick question regarding the MABS program. When do we apply for dental school. Is it during the program or before in advance or after the program finishes ?
That’s completely your decision. If you feel that overall your application is strong and you’re doing the program to show improvement in gpa, then you should apply while you’re in the program. If you meet articulation, both campuses will interview you after the second quarter.

If you want to wait until you finish the program so you can also strengthen your app with the activities you might do in the program like research or id you’re planning to retake the entrance exam, etc then that’s fine. Talk to your advisor when school starts though.

Keep in mind that the articulation agreement is only good for the year you do the program and the year after. So if you only apply in the 2021-2022 cycle and don’t receive an acceptance from MWU, the articulation agreement will not guarantee you interviews in 2022-2023.

My personal advice would be to apply to both MWU campuses while you’re in the program. If you feel that your application is strong enough then also apply to additional schools, if it’s not strong enough then stick to the two MWU campuses and if you have to reapply after the program then you’ll still have the two guaranteed interviews from MWU and possible other interviews from applying more broadly.

That’s completely your decision. If you feel that overall your application is strong and you’re doing the program to show improvement in gpa, then you should apply while you’re in the program. If you meet articulation, both campuses will interview you after the second quarter.

If you want to wait until you finish the program so you can also strengthen your app with the activities you might do in the program like research or id you’re planning to retake the entrance exam, etc then that’s fine. Talk to your advisor when school starts though.

Keep in mind that the articulation agreement is only good for the year you do the program and the year after. So if you only apply in the 2021-2022 cycle and don’t receive an acceptance from MWU, the articulation agreement will not guarantee you interviews in 2022-2023.

My personal advice would be to apply to both MWU campuses while you’re in the program. If you feel that your application is strong enough then also apply to additional schools, if it’s not strong enough then stick to the two MWU campuses and if you have to reapply after the program then you’ll still have the two guaranteed interviews from MWU and possible other interviews from applying more broadly.

sorry for the late reply. For that articulation agreement is there any paper work or application to fill out ? Or the admission office will already see that you’re in the MABS program and give you the interview ?

sorry for the late reply. For that articulation agreement is there any paper work or application to fill out ? Or the admission office will already see that you’re in the MABS program and give you the interview ?
No worries, the admissions office will see that you’re in MABS when reviewing your application. No extra paperwork to do on your end.

Hey Guys! I was recently accepted to MABS program in Il. is there a separate thread for that? If not, how can I make a thread?
Also, can anyone give some insight into this program? The pros and cons?