AZCOM 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all of you arriving in the pheonix area!!! I hope all is well and that you are able to get situated quickly!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, All

Some people and I will have interviews in AZCOM next few weeks. Would you guys help us on any information regarding acceptance rate for interviewees and how the interview goes. Any suggestions will be tremendously appreciated.

Congratulation to all of you and best wish of luck.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Looserdude.

P.S. Do you guys or girls have any chance to go out and drink tec...ki...la or hen...net...si yet? :cool: :oops: :cool:

Boomer - Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to experiencing a monsoon...all of our classes are in the same building right?!

I was perusing steeles.com for diagnostic equipment, what's the most economical way for us incoming students to acquire them? Did you buy them at the book store, is there some kind of rep at orientation? I am sure this is probably addressed like 2 or 3 times a year and I missed it!

Thanks for the indian food recom. I was just at that walmart and I didn't notice it...I need to learn to be more observant!

looserdude - I don't have stats for you, but I can tell you that I immediately connected with the interviewers and that is something that didn't happen at the other schools I interviewed at. I interviewed around september 24th and was accepted around Oct. 2. At my interview last year, one of the other applicants asked the admission's secretary for the stats...number of applicants, number of interviews, number accepted for the previous year. She had a lot of info. Good Luck!

michelle

Members don't see this ad :)
You take OMM lab in a different building. Now that the new agave hall (basic sciences) is open, you'll be moving around a lot - anatomy lab there. But all of your lectures will be in Sahuaro A.

There is a rep at orientation for equipment through the bookstore. A person in our class also took the initiative to contact Steele's directly and get ordering done through him at a discount rate. The prices betweeen the bookstore and Steeles were very similar. I went through the bookstore and I am glad I did because I decided I hated my stethoscope set, and I returned it without a problem and was able to order another without any problems. (Nancy is fantastic in the bookstore)

I would say, as a word of advice, to not order the fancy dancy bp cuff. That is what I returned. I ordered the "economy" cuff at the bookstore, and I like it so much better. And you can order the child's cuff and large adult cuff seperately.

:)
I forgot about PF Chang's. It is really good Chinese. But it's not takeout.

Thanks Kristin! The dry cleaner you suggested was super cheap.
I am so bored just waiting for school to start. I am the type of person who needs to be really busy Augh! I haven't just relaxed in years...I don't think I can take another 2 weeks of hanging out.

loserdude, take it as a great sign that they are interviewing you so early. I interviewed in early october and was accepted by thanksgiving. You are bounds ahead others simply b/c many are still sending out applications!
I absolutely loved my interview. There are some classic ?'s... who are 3 people you would invite to dinner and what would you make? Really cheezy but there is no real wrong answer. i think they just want to see if you are normal or if you'll come up with a real cheezy/dramatic answer. Also, i was asked a moral ?. what would i do if i was working in the er and there was a huge accident and the doc told me to only admit the ones that would make it, leaving those that wouldn't--(triage) What would i say to those i knew wouldn't make it if they asked why i wasn't admitting them. They also asked quite a bit directly from my application--how long i'd played the piano, where i like to camp, what books i have read lately-- just get-to-know-you stuff. I felt very comfy and knew by the end of the interview that this is where i would go. Best of luck to you and those interviewing!!

oh man. Enjoy it now. The first week sucks hard.

Dear Dr. Jhug,

Your detail information about AZCOM interview is so helpful. Can I buy you a thousand cups of ice cream and a dozen of hot Asian girls for a patent of this post to Pre-Osteopathic forum so that other people can see it as well. :)

Man, we are so excited for the whole process because AZCOM is in our top choice list!!! We thank you all for your help.

Sincerely Yours,

Looserdude.:cool:

P.S. We're still here for your answer, don't...please don't forget us :clap:

Here is a joke for you guys during break time:

When Bill Cosby came into the office for the results of some medical tests, the doctor told him he had some good news and some bad news. Bill asked for the good new first.
"Your penis is going to grow two inches in length and an inch in circumference."
"That's terrific, " Bill exclaimed, breaking into a big smile. "so what could be bad?"
The doctor answered, "Malignant."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We are having a party, Thursday night, the 29th, at Tom DeGraff and NIck Nunnally's house..

Tom and Nick were in the mastsers program for a year with me and will be in azcom 2006 class with us...

It's thursday so we can spend the weekend showing the new students "the town" and chillin at my pool...

Look for us at orientation or email me at
[email protected]

Jason

Kristin - why does the first week suck and can I do anything in the next week to take the edge off!?

Now I am bored AND waiting for a great big shoe to drop on my head.

michelle

for anyone that is new in town, welcome!!
a bunch of us in AZCOM 2006 who were previous MWU students are around if you need any help or advice...

email me if you need help with your place, want to know where places are, want to hang out.. whatever...

jason

Well, so many things have happened since the last time I was here. Unbelievable.

Jhug, congratulations on the babies!!! I was very happy for you when sport told me about that. Good luck with all that ;) For some reason a ton of my friends are pregnant right now. They keep telling me it's something in the water. But hopefully everything will go well for them as it did for you and your wife.

I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the past month, which is how long it's been since I visited SDN. I'm supposed to be up in Glendale tomorrow for good, but who knows how that will go. My car, which I crunched badly a couple of weeks ago, is in the shop and is supposed to be done tomorrow. That is what they told me this morning when I called. Somehow I don't trust those guys very much. In February when someone hit my car, it was in for a week longer than they said it would be. Very annoying.

Anyway, I have to get back to all of my exasperating and annoying errands. sigh.

I am a recent graduate of AZCOM and my wife is soon to be as well, she is just finishing up her maternity leave. Anyhow, if you want to save alot of money on books, we are selling a bunch of our used ones cheap. They are all in good condition.

Just e-mail me [email protected] with which books you want and you can pick them up from my wife at the OMT clinic on campus on Tuesday the 27th.
Merk Manual 17th Edition $10

Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment (DiGiovanna) $10

Drug Information for the Health Care Professional $5

Mosby's Guide to Physical Exam $10

Medical Microbiology-Intro. to Infectious Disease $5

Board Review Series-Pathology and Path Review Notes(A must for the boards) $10

Board Review Series-Micro and Immunology $10

Basic Clinical Neuroanatomy $5

USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam (Good for step 1 also) $5

First Aid for Step 1 (A must for step 1) $10

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's (Dubin) $10

Clinical Neuro Made Rediculously Simple and High Yield Embryo $10

Clinical Vignettes-Anatomy, Biochem(2), Behav Sci, Pathophys $5each

Pathologic Basis of Disease (Robbins) $10

Essential Cell Biology $10

Color Atlas of Histology (Gartner and Hiatt) $5

Biochemistry (Lipincott's) $10

Color Text Book of Histology (Gartner and Hiatt)$10

NMS Review for USMLE Step I $10

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I, too, have been away from the forum for a while but I am just about ready to move out to AZ. jhug, congrats congrats congrats on the triplets! That's great man. I know you have your hands full.....good luck, I bet you are a proud father (times 3)!!! Keep us updated on how you and your family is doing.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I will be arriving in Glendale this Saturday, the 24th in on-campus housing.

For those of you who aren't in Glendale yet, have a safe trip out there.

See ya'll later.

P.S. Do any of you have a recurring "what have i gotten myself into?!?!" feeling????? I know I do.........

Yeah Titan....I have been sitting in Glendale since aug. 8 with a sense of impending doom. I have been looking at flashcards and picked up some rec. books.

By nature I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to school, so as you know I can relate to the what have I gotten myself into. I think it is even more so because I left a pretty good job/career. I am sure I will be fine (I reapeat that a couple of times a day!)

Have a good trip!

Michelle

Oh I swear that impending doom feeling gets worse. Right about Mid January is when it hits the hardest.

Just something to look forward to y'all.

I got through it, therefore EVERYONE can. I am convinced.

Kristin AZCOM2005

titan-- thanks pal!!! i am quite the excited father and all the kids are doing really good, Jones gave us a little scare with a flu that put him back on the vent, but he pulled it out and is doing fine now! I'm anxious to see what you think about the on-campus housing. my wife and i are/were pretty set on that route but want an insider's opinion. Are you in the newer buildings??
Best of luck to you all as you start school, i'm thinking/pulling for you!!! and remember...keep all your stuff for an excited 2007'er!!

Kristin

i don't know why you didn't get my reply...i am on for 9:30...just let me know where

Michelle

ROCK ON SISTER FRIEND!

I am thinking Starbucks. 67th ave and Beardsley. Or if you don't know where that is we can do the school - like in front of the library on the little couches.

Stupid hotmail...

:)

Kristin

I say lets get our coffee fix first....starbucks on 67th and Beardsly at 9:30. I'll probably be wearing jeans and a black tank top and I have long-ish brown hair. Oh and I have the biggest, goofiest pair of sunglasses.

Michelle

Ok and I have short brown hair. I'll wear a white t shirt and a greenish skirt thing. See you then!

We could so totally be setting ourselves up for some weird stalkers, you know? HAH!

I suppose it wouldn't be the first time!! See you tomorrow

m

Hey everyone, well my wife and I just moved in yesterday, and we are totally stoked on the apartment that we have. It was pretty crazy, we had my dad and all my brothers and their friends helping out. We have been at my families Colorado river home the last two weeks, which which is about 2.5 hours from campus. We woke up at 4:30 Sat. morning, and were moving in by 8am. We finished pretty fast too b/c we had so much help.

Jhug--This place is so nice. We have one of the luxury one bedrooms, in building E. There is a small leak under the kitchen sink, but besides that, the place is absolutely impecable. I am very impressed so far, everyone in the residence life office has been so helpful.

If anyone needs help moving in don't hesitate to ask, I am more than willing to lend a hand. See all of you at orientation.

Ryan

Welcome....I think nothing says welcome to Arizona like a daily high of 115 degrees!

Michelle

Ryan, i'm glad to hear that you arrived w/o any problems and are getting situated!! That goes for all of you there now!! My thoughts are with you all.....between diapers and feedings that is:) it's also good to hear that the apartments are nice! Take it easy and best of luck to you as you start school soon

I just arrived on Saturday and just barely got my internet working today. Man, it seems like there's still lots of time to kill until orientation. I'm all moved in and situated, but now I suppose it's just a matter of finding something to fill all this time.. but maybe I should enjoy it while it lasts. Arizona is definitely HOT. Wow. I too am in student housing and it suits me pretty well. I think it'll be great to be so close to the school -- super convenient. I look forward to meeting everybody during orientation!

Adam

I started my campus job today..i am an OMT lab assistant...they need two more if anyone is interested PM me and I will give you the contact info. I think it will be a pretty good student job.
I am very jealous of all of you student housing peeps..it takes me 15-20 minutes to get to school. It is the shortest commute I've had in a decade though.

See you guys Wed. afternoon.

Michelle

sugar/michelle-- i pm'd you!

i imagine that this thread is so slow because you are all inundated with anatomy, biochem, and omm!!!!:) I just thought i'd let you know that Jones, baby B, came home today!!! we are sooooo super excited!!! he is the cutest little thing and a total motivator for me to excel in all that i do. He weighs in at a hefty 4lbs 8 oz!!! I wish you all the best in your studies and activities and just remeber there is a 2007'er who wants all your materials when your done with em!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

okay 2006! Post up! How did your first week go? What do you think so far?

I'm not sure how many I speak for, but I'm really anxious to get started with more labs and preceptorship activities. Anything to get a break from Sahuaro Hall A.

Rach - have noticed that after lunch the room starts to smell funny! I am sure it still smells a little better than lab will!

Michelle

I couldn't fall asleep last night. I realized it was because I was extremely tense. I had visions of germ cell layers dancing in my head. I was even clenching my teeth! So I sat up and petted my dog for a while. Then I woke up this morning, so it must have worked. I think she is going to be my sanity, which is scary because she is a crazy dog. It's only the second week of school, too. sigh. Oh well.

Jhug, we had our first anatomy lab yesterday. I'm in a group with Maximus, actually, which is pretty cool since he's had cadaver-based anatomy before. Everyone I've met in our class so far is super nice, and everyone seems very friendly. I guess there are a few clique-ish type groups, but not of the sort from high school or even undergrad. Overall I'm extremely happy I chose to come here. I hope things are going well with your wife and Jones. Have the other babies come home? If not, about when do you expect them to?

-Andrea

Andrea -

Ryan told me you take your dog to a dogpark near school....i keep forgetting to ask you about it so please remind me. I would love to get our critters together for a play date if you are interested in a study break sometime!

I went to a history and physical this evening where an ms2 played the doctor and I was the patient...I was very impressed with all of the stuff we are going to know in one short year! (maybe i should have added a hopefully at the end of that sentence!)

michelle

ps

I am dreaming about enzyme kinetics. Last night I dreamt I was baking a cake, but that I had to graph a lineweaver burke reciprocal plot to figure out the baking time. That doesn't even make any sense.

bahaha
You only think we know things...
It is all a sad and twisted delusion. But really, I only speak for myself.
kristin
MSII

andrea, all three are home as of sunday. Jones came home labor day--we got a kick out of that-- charles came home sat. and isabelle on sunday!!! We are having one of those rare quiet moments where all are sleeping:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm glad to hear all is going smooth down there. Is it as hard as you imagined/anticipated?? Knowing what i know now, this was 100% the right thing to do, but i think about you all every day, and just think-- you are that msII that is going to impress me back into alignment:D

2006: how do you like OMM so far?

Michelle-- Yes, I took Pyra to the dog park by the Glendale library. She was confused, but liked the smell of things. I don't get her out and interacting much, but I will to de-stress when it gets cooler out.

jhug-- I am glad the triplets are all home safe. My youngest nephew turned 1 on 9/1 and he is growing like a weed! I should find a pic of him and scan it in.

I like OMM, but I wish we had more practice during class with the instructors. It is a nice break and fun to learn.

-Andrea

Hey guys,

I just got an interview @ AZCOM and I was wondering if you could tell me what airport is closest to you guys? Thanks again...

Fred

Hey Fozzy-

You'll want to fly into Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, AZ. It's all freeway driving from there to the school, so it's not that bad...probably about 30-45 minute drive. You should probably ask someone at the school for directions to AZCOM before you arrive, but here's a route I'd use:
From Sky Harbor, follow signs to get on the I-10 WEST. Get on the I-10 west, and go until the interchange with I-17. Go onto the I-17 NORTH, and continue for several miles until the interchange with the Loop-101. Take the Loop-101 WESTBOUND. Take the 101 west until 59th Ave. and turn LEFT (you can see the school from the freeway). Turn LEFT at Utopia off of 59th ave., and then LEFT again into the campus. Follow to the right for the student center.

Good luck with the interview!

Rachael

Hey, JHUG, just wanted to tell you congrats on having all of your babies at home finally. That's awesome. I can't imagine taking care of three at one time! You and your wife are troopers, that's for sure.

Thanks buddy!!! it really is fun-- hard, but fun! it is amazing to look down at this little person and think you are totally responsible for them!! How is school going? i take the lack of posts as a hint as to how busy you all must be right now. I guess we are all getting use to performing on 2 hrs of sleep--if i'm lucky:D i think about all of you daily and hope that you are doing as well as you desire/deserve! take care and keep studying!!!

Hi everyone at AZCOM!

I'm a MSI at COMP and I'm from Arizona. Just want to drop a note and say "hello" to everyone. Is it getting cooler there yet? It's strange but I kinda miss the desert a lil. I miss the monsoon season if you can believe that! It's really cool to watch the storm come in every day. If you have the chance, go hiking on Camelback Mtn. It's really tough but once you get up there, it's worth it!!

Hope everyone is surviving all the classes. I bet you all went to Mills and hit the Chandler mall already? :)

i imagine you don't have a ton of extra time to sit on the internet but i thought i'd try my luck anyway--- now that you've had time to settle in, how do the people in the on-campus housing feel about the appartments??? Especially the 2 bedrooms seeing how i'll need the space for the triplets :)