AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to be contrary but I wanted to clarify about the weather as an AZ native...

The humid months are actually July and August. June is super hot (that's when we get the ridiculous temps like 115) but the humidity generally doesn't hit until July. A good rule of thumb is to remember monsoons hit 4th of July to Labor day.

And even though we call it "humid" it's not "humid" like the midwest. But, unlike the midwest, it is unrelenting and will be pretty miserable for 2 months.

:)

kristin
class of 2005

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to congratulate us all on accomplishments thus far. We are officially 2/3 of the way through our MSI year. Yay!!!!

Cyndi:clap:

Congrats to all of you who will be attending AZCOM. 1st 2 years you will learn an amazing amount of information. Good didactics, plus you get ALL the lecture handouts. You have no idea how helpful this is. Most of your peers will be pumped up to take the USMLE at AZCOM as well. The idea that this test is a must has been passed down from class to class. At least I believe it to be so.

3rd year can be a bit rough (depends how bad you want hospital based rotations...I did) but you will get through it just like everyone else did. 4th year is quite possibly the best out of any US medical school. You can go anywhere you want the entire year! If you want to go to the most prestegious place to land some good letters and audition do it. Then you can rotate at every other hospital in that city to get yourself connected. Take a month for research if you are looking for a really competitive position (my urology buddies went this route, seemed to help out). If you are nice to the clin ed dept they will let you do multiple months of of one specialty. All of this means so much when you go looking for residencies. The clinical rotations and letters you land early in your 4th year will go a long way.

If you aren't looking for a competitive residency then you can honestly have one of the chillest 4th years ever. Good stuff. For all the bitching I have done I can say I've had an overall good experience there. If I don't match then you all can watch me fall apart online.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen our Class on here for a while...so I thought I would bump this up...

Almost done people: 3 weeks, 4 days...

How is the R&R going this summer?

Six of us are at Brooks AFB for an Aerospace Med. orientation. The schedule is fairly relaxed, so we're all having a pretty good time. We got tear-gassed this morning.

WOW, tear-gassed? That DOES sound like fun ;)

There are some navy guys in our class going to Panama on some "dive" thing. I should have found a more exciting "externship / rotation" to do this summer (no tear gas, no diving...).

Hey, sorry to jump on your thread, but as a new student I have a couple of questions about fin. aid that I thought might best be answered by those that have been there. I just received my package today including cost of attendance budget. The budget gives me ~55,000.00 to work with but of course stafford only covers 38,500.00. Obviously there's a gap that needs to be covered so that I don't find myself living on the corner of 59th and the 101 this year. So, I'd appreciate any information regarding how to cover the gap (i.e. private loans) that you may have including how to apply for/recieve those types of loans (I realize there's probably an easy solution, but was hoping you might be able to help me skip the long route to that solution). Thanks.

I own a home less then 1 mile from campus, it's awesome. 3 bedroom, swimming pool, etc....

I'm an MS2 that's lived in Glendale for 4 years....

Let me know if you're interested:

I heard that a CD with all of Linda's files on it from MS2 classes has been put in all mailboxes, check it out!

Blackboard is up...let the fun commence!

Is Erin Falcon no longer work with ICM? I got an email that says she is part of the college of Podiatric Medicine...

I guess she is the aa for the DPM program. There was talk of her being a DPM student, but this clears that up.

Members don't see this ad :)
In other news, Melissa Shaw is not working for the OMM department anymore. Turns out she is pursuing a career in her actual degree. Master's in something . . .

D.O.ctor J said:
In other news, Melissa Shaw is not working for the OMM department anymore. Turns out she is pursuing a career in her actual degree. Master's in something . . .

She's a counselor and she'll have her own practice now. My roommate told me this and he's one of the OMM fellows for the class of 2006. Reliable source.

Holy crap, only three more days until class!

Just a quick question for you all. What books do we absolutely need for 2nd year? I was told by a third year that BRS Path and Micro Made Rid. Easy were the only books that were really required. I guess there's a thick, expensive ($100+) new edition path book by Robins. Should I get this book? Also, did anyone else get the email from the micro department about buying the lab manual? I guess they are requiring us to go to Agave 201 on 8/27/04 to buy the manual ($15.00) and to get our locker assignments.

Here's the email:
Lab Manuals, a required text for MICR 1611/ MICR 1622, will be for sale ($15.00) starting Friday, August 27. Please stop at Agave, Room 201 to buy one. Along with this purchase you will be assigned a locker key that gives you access to the microscope used in the MDLs for the fall and winter quarter. :sleep:

Are they only going to give us a locker key if we buy the stupid manual? :eek: This is just like when they would only hand out notes in lecture. I'm getting annoyed.

Any advice would be appreciated

Azcomstud said:
This is just like when they would only hand out notes in lecture. I'm getting annoyed.

I liked the whole "mailroom always loses the notes" excuse they gave us. So bad it was funny.

I liked the whole "mailroom always loses the notes" excuse they gave us. So bad it was funny.
that was a great moment!!! you could hear the gasp/laughter from all of us as we wondered if they REALLY think we are that stupid:)
i got the mico redic simple book, the pathologics of basic disease, path board review, and this neat little pharm book with tons of questions...

I would have laughed out loud if I had heard that joke, but sadly, after the first half hour of the first class of immuno, I forgot to go for the rest of the year. Darn. And to think they're teaching micro... maybe I'll actually be able to put a name to a face? Or maybe not.... :sleep:

Let the fun begin....

Man, I was going to take the USMLE, but there is no way that I can shell out anywhere near $400+ :mad:
I guess that I am going to have to hope that all the programs that I apply to (ACGME emergency med) look at the COMLEX in a favorable way :scared:

bla_3x said:
Man, I was going to take the USMLE, but there is no way that I can shell out anywhere near $400+ :mad:
I guess that I am going to have to hope that all the programs that I apply to (ACGME emergency med) look at the COMLEX in a favorable way :scared:

I'm sure that $400 bucks is going to crush you after the 130,000 dollars you blew on med school. Its your career persue it at your leisure.

Best of luck.

At this point, my wife and I are in the red every month as is. So yea, right "now" the 400 would be very hard to come by.

bla_3x said:
At this point, my wife and I are in the red every month as is. So yea, right "now" the 400 would be very hard to come by.

Ever heard of a "swear jar"? But instead of swearing, you can put up a quarter every time you hear Lovecchio say "Yah? Yah? Yah!"

$400 by the end of the quarter.

(But I'm not complaining, I like Lovecchio and his class.)

San_Juan_Sun said:
Ever heard of a "swear jar"? But instead of swearing, you can put up a quarter every time you hear Lovecchio say "Yah? Yah? Yah!"

$400 by the end of the quarter.

(But I'm not complaining, I like Lovecchio and his class.)

And a penny for "Right" and "...& Stuff" That would accumulate nicely :)

His class is awesome though, you're right!

bla_3x said:

Take out an extra private loan for 400 bucks. It will be well spent.