AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've been told that you get interviewed by a panel of 3 interviewers, which includes a student and 2 faculty. I don't remember if it was open or closed file though. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been told that you get interviewed by a panel of 3 interviewers, which includes a student and 2 faculty. I don't remember if it was open or closed file though. Anyone know?

You are interviewed by a panel of three people, however there's no set composition. The format is what they refer to as semi-open, which roughly translates into they have access to all of your information except numbers (unless you include those in your cv), as the assumption is if you get the interview, your numbers are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
new to this thread, but congrats to those with interviews!

AZCOM: Noshie 9/17, seap3 9/17, sedaniel 9/17, BigBoosting 9/17, crazynate 9/17, joedo2 9/17, megathunder 9/21, Onetyme (ii 7/28, i 9/17), wudabum 9/20, DbDan 9/24, Kevin Baker, Gatorfann1, mrlucky0 9/21, Hola 9/21

I'm a first year at AZCOM and our orientation starts tomorrow. I just wanted to say I remember being in your shoes last year and how much of a roller coaster ride the application process can be. You're all brave souls, and trust me it will pay off in the end. Keep your nose to the grind stone and celebrate each interview invite you get, for they are each a gift!!

I also remember how f*^@ing expensive traveling across the country was. My girlfriend and I live in San Lagos (pretty much the closest apt complex to MWU besides on campus housing). We have an extra bedroom that we use as an office and has a TV, desk, and futon. If you guys are looking for a place to stay the night before your interview, you're welcome here. If anyone wants to PM me and set that up, great! I'll have to double check dates of course but I'll do my best to help save people on booking a hotel for a night.

Congrats again, getting the interview is a HUGE step. Take care!

Hey all, Just submitted my secondary today. Last year I submitted my primary app at the end of December and my secondary at the end of February. I interviewed April 19th and I was wait-listed 3 days later. I am still technically on the wait list :D, although I'd say chances are pretty slim at this point.

Because I went through this whole process very recently with AZCOM I would like offer to answer any questions I can. I found this message board really helpful last year and would like to pay it back.

Best of Luck!
-Steve

In case any of you were wondering, the 2014 class MCAT average was 28, cGPA~3.4, sGPA~3.5, with 68% of the class being male and 32% female, and the average age was 26. That being said, remember that if you're below these numbers, this is the AVERAGE and there are plenty of people with numbers above and below these, so don't let it discourage you.

In case any of you were wondering, the 2014 class MCAT average was 28, cGPA~3.4, sGPA~3.5, with 68% of the class being male and 32% female, and the average age was 26. That being said, remember that if you're below these numbers, this is the AVERAGE and there are plenty of people with numbers above and below these, so don't let it discourage you.

I like those numbers. :D haha

Thanks for the info!

I don't! What the heck azcom?! :bang:

:laugh: Its been that way from the beginning, although that class seems a bit more skewed than in the past. It has normally been ~62% male. Look on the bright side, we have a higher chance of getting in? ;) Deal with the lack of females at AZCOM by driving 10 miles to ASU :laugh:

:laugh: Its been that way from the beginning, although that class seems a bit more skewed than in the past. It has normally been ~62% male. Look on the bright side, we have a higher chance of getting in? ;) Deal with the lack of females at AZCOM by driving 10 miles to ASU :laugh:

I second that. :laugh:

Well, not to mention the fact that there are various other programs on the MWU campus that are typically much more heavily-populated by gals which help balance things out a bit more.

Well, not to mention the fact that there are various other programs on the MWU campus that are typically much more heavily-populated by gals which help balance things out a bit more.

True... but ASU girls are good looking and naive :laugh: jk

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us who have interviews, 9/24 and earlier, it looks like people who interviewed in Sept last year found out on the 1st and 2nd of October (thurs/friday). I'm praying that we've got longer than that for a deposit to LECOM if I manage to get accepted there. At least we know AZCOM has a pretty good turn-around. Hopefully we will hear back on 9/30 or 10/1. They also generally show on the accepted student portal before they tell you. Sorta like the still missing interview invite e-mail lol

True... but ASU girls are good looking and naive :laugh: jk

I'm starting to think that I know what DB stands for after seeing this... Hehehehehe. Is your girlfriend moving where ever you move to? She's not going to like that... ;)

For those of us who have interviews, 9/24 and earlier, it looks like people who interviewed in Sept last year found out on the 1st and 2nd of October (thurs/friday). I'm praying that we've got longer than that for a deposit to LECOM if I manage to get accepted there. At least we know AZCOM has a pretty good turn-around. Hopefully we will hear back on 9/30 or 10/1. They also generally show on the accepted student portal before they tell you. Sorta like the still missing interview invite e-mail lol

This is actually good for me! Remember my devious plan on the dates between AZCOM and LECOM interviews and possible acceptances! Since I like AZCOM more than LECOM, I would like to have a chance to choose without paying both deposits first!

I'm starting to think that I know what DB stands for after seeing this... Hehehehehe. Is your girlfriend moving where ever you move to? She's not going to like that... ;)

This is actually good for me! Remember my devious plan on the dates between AZCOM and LECOM interviews and possible acceptances! Since I like AZCOM more than LECOM, I would like to have a chance to choose without paying both deposits first!

Well, if we hear back on Wednesday after our interview, 30 days will be the 1st! not good if things get postponed! :laugh: Hopefully we will both get our decisions from AZCOM before that deposit would be due.

As for the GF, unfortunately our trip to cancun is going to be our last one together for a while. :( I'll send you a facebook message as to why, I keep that part of my life off of SDN :p Short answer is no, she won't be joining me in med school. BTW DB stands for Defensive Back from football ;) I used the username in HS and it has stuck since.

Interviewing on Oct. 14th. Only took three days to get interview invite. Going to look to switch to September if anyone drops.

Interviewed here last year. You interview with 3 interviewers at the same time. There is a time limit, 10-15 mins. Interviewers can be anybody, PhD, D.O., M.D., student...... My panel was PhD, M.D., and a D.A. (not a district attorney but I have no idea what it stands for)

Oh and they told us that committee wouldn't meet for a week. However we found out they met the next day, and had verdicts in 2-3days. This was in April though, I have read the old threads at first week of October seems to be consistent as to when the first batch of interviewees will find out.

My panel was PhD, M.D., and a D.A. (not a district attorney but I have no idea what it stands for)

A D.A. is the "doctor of arts" degree, and it's pretty much the equivalent to a more teaching-oriented, less research-oriented PhD degree. We probably had the same guy on our panels last year as I don't remember there being too many D.A.s listed in the faculty.

I got an interview for October 23rd. I'm not sure if I am going to go though... Tuition is so much more than LECOM.

AZCOM: Noshie 9/17, seap3 9/17, sedaniel 9/17, BigBoosting 9/17, crazynate 9/17, joedo2 9/17, megathunder 9/21, Onetyme (ii 7/28, i 9/17), wudabum 9/20, DbDan 9/24, Kevin Baker, Gatorfann1, mrlucky0 9/21, Hola 9/21, jpgoodie 9/24

For those of you with invites. Did you have a DO LOR? I am getting ready to submit mine, and I don't have a DO LOR, my physician letter is from my family med doctor who is an MD. I feel like a pretty decent candidate other than that.. 29, 3.8 3.8 or so.. lots of clinical and research etc...

Hey I am interviewing at AZCOM on 10/15 and wondering if there are any female applicants that day who would want to split a hotel room the night before? Save money and might be fun to have someone to talk to!

For those of you with invites. Did you have a DO LOR? I am getting ready to submit mine, and I don't have a DO LOR, my physician letter is from my family med doctor who is an MD. I feel like a pretty decent candidate other than that.. 29, 3.8 3.8 or so.. lots of clinical and research etc...
No DO letter here with similar stats and I got accepted. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
I just got verified today. How soon can I expect AZCOM secondary?

I just got verified today. How soon can I expect AZCOM secondary?

Maybe tomorrow. I think AACOMAS makes newly verified apps available to schools on Tuesdays, so you will probably be in that batch. Midwestern is pretty quick in sending secondaries, provided you meet their minimums.

Maybe tomorrow. I think AACOMAS makes newly verified apps available to schools on Tuesdays, so you will probably be in that batch. Midwestern is pretty quick in sending secondaries, provided you meet their minimums.

The only minimums I see on their website for a secondary application are "minimum cumulative GPAs and science GPAs of 2.75". I don't see a minimum listed for MCAT score.

hey all, i'm a pretty new member but have been using SDN as resource for the last few years. AZCOM is one of my top choices, I have been complete there since 8/3. For all of you who had or have interviews, how long did it take to receive an interview invite? My stats are 3.2 cgpa 3.0 sgpa 28Q, you think i'm competitive enough? I have extensive community service experience, did an SMP (special masters program) last year and have shadowing/clinical work experience, etc. I'm just a little worried..this is a do-or-die year for me, definitely hoping for good news! thoughts?

hey all, i'm a pretty new member but have been using SDN as resource for the last few years. AZCOM is one of my top choices, I have been complete there since 8/3. For all of you who had or have interviews, how long did it take to receive an interview invite? My stats are 3.2 cgpa 3.0 sgpa 28Q, you think i'm competitive enough? I have extensive community service experience, did an SMP (special masters program) last year and have shadowing/clinical work experience, etc. I'm just a little worried..this is a do-or-die year for me, definitely hoping for good news! thoughts?

I got the first interview invite from AZCOM this year... Haha, or maybe I was the first to notice I got one! :) My application was sent by AACOMAS on 6/6 and it took until 6/25 to get a secondary. I got the interview invite on 7/27... You have to remember that it was at the beginning of the cycle and it may now take a lot longer for them to look at applications... Also, my letters were not even in until 7/20... So it only took them 7 days to give me an interview invite after I was complete.

I think you have a great shot at AZCOM, but it may be a bit of a wait since they already have interviews set up into October now... Your GPA is a bit higher than mine, and your MCAT is a point higher than mine. But I think that DO schools tend to look at other stuff, so just because you have competitive stats, that doesn’t amount to an acceptance. That being said, I still think you will get an interview... ;) Good luck!

Hey i have a question for those of you who got interviews. I got my secondary and have it ready to submit but I only have a letter from an MD yet. I am waiting to get a letter from a DO but will probably take about another week or so. Is it better to just send in my secondary app with the letters i have or should i wait till i get my DO letter. I got my secondary app in on july 27.

Thanks guys!
gluck on ur interviews :)

Hey i have a question for those of you who got interviews. I got my secondary and have it ready to submit but I only have a letter from an MD yet. I am waiting to get a letter from a DO but will probably take about another week or so. Is it better to just send in my secondary app with the letters i have or should i wait till i get my DO letter. I got my secondary app in on july 27.

Thanks guys!
gluck on ur interviews :)

Send everything in now, update with the DO letter when you get it.

Hi Guys,

I got my secondary app july 29th, I have my secondary app ready to turn in but right now i have an MD letter and I am waiting for a DO letter.. probably get it in a week or so. Is it better to turn in my app soon but with what the MD letter i have or wait for the DO letter?

also, I have a 3.6 gpa but a 24 MCAt :( what are my chances?

Hi Guys,

I got my secondary app july 29th, I have my secondary app ready to turn in but right now i have an MD letter and I am waiting for a DO letter.. probably get it in a week or so. Is it better to turn in my app soon but with what the MD letter i have or wait for the DO letter?

also, I have a 3.6 gpa but a 24 MCAt :( what are my chances?

Like DbDan said to your previous post, you can turn in the secondary and update with the DO letter when you get it. Your GPA is fine; MCAT is a bit low by recent years' standards of 27/28, but if your application as a whole, MCAT aside, is solid, you should still have a decent chance, especially the sooner your file is complete.

My file was complete one week ago today, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping that it's just too early, but I have a bad feeling that I'll be getting a rejection letter in the mail.

My mcat is only a 24P which i know is low for this school, and I have a gpa of 3.96 and sgpa of 3.91. I'm hoping they don't shoot me down right away! :(

My file was complete one week ago today, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping that it's just too early, but I have a bad feeling that I'll be getting a rejection letter in the mail.

My mcat is only a 24P which i know is low for this school, and I have a gpa of 3.96 and sgpa of 3.91. I'm hoping they don't shoot me down right away! :(

Relax, I've got a friend who had very very similar stats to you and applied to AZCOM. She's starting her second year now and she didn't even turn in her primary until December, Secondary in January and interviewed in March. Give it time.

I'm curious to know how many applicants get interviewed at AZCOM. Any ideas?

I'm curious to know how many applicants get interviewed at AZCOM. Any ideas?

I want to say in either last year's forum or the 2008-2009, the number thrown around was ~600. Since the school receives thousands of applications, getting the interview itself really is where the numbers are stacked against you the most when you consider the 250+ class-size.

Edit
While taking a break from doing histo I pulled the exact quote from last year's thread up:

The admissions director said that they interivew about 600 for the 250 seats. If I remember correctly, he said that they need to accept upwards of 400 to get all the seats filled. According to him, the hard part is getting the interview offer.

Last edited:
Got a letter in the mail today. Put my application on hold. I guess it's a better outcome than I thought it would be. Still staying positive :)

Got a letter in the mail today. Put my application on hold. I guess it's a better outcome than I thought it would be. Still staying positive :)

Not the best outcome but definitely not the worst. Be proactive. Update them when you have significant accomplishments, if you take new classes, etc. I was on hold for interview all year last year and I just ignored it, never was rejected until April. Be persistent and I wouldn't be surprised to see you get an interview later.

Not the best outcome but definitely not the worst. Be proactive. Update them when you have significant accomplishments, if you take new classes, etc. I was on hold for interview all year last year and I just ignored it, never was rejected until April. Be persistent and I wouldn't be surprised to see you get an interview later.

Thanks DbDan! I'm in the middle of a research project, and I've got some other things coming up soon. Would you suggest writing a letter? I was thinking of giving it time for a month or two and then writing a letter to them letting them know my interest in their school and what I've done lately. Hoping this well help! But also hoping I don't get this outcome for all other 7 schools I applied to.

I just keep telling myself, it only takes one :) and nice people like you to keep our spirits high :D

Thanks DbDan! I'm in the middle of a research project, and I've got some other things coming up soon. Would you suggest writing a letter? I was thinking of giving it time for a month or two and then writing a letter to them letting them know my interest in their school and what I've done lately. Hoping this well help! But also hoping I don't get this outcome for all other 7 schools I applied to.

I just keep telling myself, it only takes one :) and nice people like you to keep our spirits high :D

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I would follow up with a letter once you have activities to update. I wrote a letter to the director of admissions (e-mailed it) then called to follow up. At that point my husband was already accepted and my app had been put on "pre-interview hold" so I definitely knew I wanted to be at AZCOM and could express that in the letter. Good luck and keep your hopes up!

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I would follow up with a letter once you have activities to update. I wrote a letter to the director of admissions (e-mailed it) then called to follow up. At that point my husband was already accepted and my app had been put on "pre-interview hold" so I definitely knew I wanted to be at AZCOM and could express that in the letter. Good luck and keep your hopes up!

:thumbup: Congrats. BTW, why does your signature have 2 AZCOM C/O for 2 different years?

:thumbup: Congrats. BTW, why does your signature have 2 AZCOM C/O for 2 different years?

My husband and I started with AZCOM c/o 2012 but decided to extend to the five year program when I had a lot of breathing problems starting first quarter, plus our kids were getting sick a lot too. It ended up working out well because my grandma died in the spring of our first year and I was back in IL for two weeks. Then last year my husband had two surgeries. So we'll actually graduate with the c/o 2013 but I still very much feel like a part of 2012 even though we won't be doing rotations until next year. I'll take down the 2012 part eventually once I work through my abandonment issues. Ha ha! jk ;)

My husband and I started with AZCOM c/o 2012 but decided to extend to the five year program when I had a lot of breathing problems starting first quarter, plus our kids were getting sick a lot too. It ended up working out well because my grandma died in the spring of our first year and I was back in IL for two weeks. Then last year my husband had two surgeries. So we'll actually graduate with the c/o 2013 but I still very much feel like a part of 2012 even though we won't be doing rotations until next year. I'll take down the 2012 part eventually once I work through my abandonment issues. Ha ha! jk ;)

Fair enough :laugh: Good luck with your rotations. I'm hoping to get in here, I've got a couple friends in the c/o 2013

Out of curiosity, did you try this at any other schools? My husband and I are trying to get in the same medical school this cycle, so just wondering what schools are couple friendly if one of us gets accepted to a school and the other doesn't/is on hold/has an interview/waitlist. Would love to hear you whole experience on applying together.

Out of curiosity, did you try this at any other schools? My husband and I are trying to get in the same medical school this cycle, so just wondering what schools are couple friendly if one of us gets accepted to a school and the other doesn't/is on hold/has an interview/waitlist. Would love to hear you whole experience on applying together.

Obviously she is going to have better first hand experience but if you were to get a hold/waitlist and your husband gets an acceptance or vice-versa I would 100% write a letter to the school re-expressing your interest. A husband attending is an absolute reason to attend a school and unlike people writing random letters of intent they will know that if accepted you WILL attend. I hope it works out for you :thumbup: