1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AZCOM, DMU, Nova, PCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by docslytherin, Nov 3, 2002.

1. docslytherin

docslytherin Tenacious D.O.
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could offer opinions on these schools. When I started the process, DMU and Nova were my top choices with AZCOM running close behind. But the more I read, the better PCOM sounds.

Thanks a lot!!

John

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SLE

SLE
    7+ Year Member

Well being that I am a PCOMer I should tell you PCOM. Its known to be a great school. But think about NOVA. I mean the beach mon.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True, NOVA and AZCOM will have better weather than Philadelphia, but is that enough to base your medical education on?

I could have gone to NOVA, or several other schools for that matter, but I chose PCOM.

You will get a great education anywhere you go.

I chose PCOM because it's the best Osteopathic school in the country.

5. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

JPH--
    in your opinion.....:D

I chose azcom because it is the best osteopathic school in the country......in my opinion.

PCOM has a class size that is way too big-- 250 vs 100. Do you want to be a # or a name? How much one on one contact can you have with such a large class?
    I actually was really impressed by PCOM so i can't shed a negative light on it in good conscience ;) i liked azcom b/c i wanted to stay close to the west coast, close to MAYO, and i was amazingly impressed with AZCOM.
    Docslytherin-- finding the right/best school is very subjective and personal. I'd suggest interviewing at as many as possible and really getting a feel for the school AT the school. The final reason i picked AZCOM over PCOM, DMU, COMP, TUCOM, and other allo schools was how i felt on campus and during my interviews--not the weather.

6. jd star

jd star Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

of course medical school is more than the weather, but it's the environment also.... Nova is more than just palm trees and hot weather - the people there were incredible on my interview day and the campus and facilities are unbelievably gorgeous. and people there just seemed comfortable in their surroundings... i mean, i know that studies have shown that people are happier when they are in a sunny environment.

i mean, i love PCOM and being in philadelphia where my family and friends are close and it is an amazing school. but i also love Nova, and Nova is also an amazing school, and if i'm lucky enough to choose between the two, i'm gonna have a tough choice to make. and as cheesy as it sounds, you have to choose what feels right in your heart.

to quote from a ben fold five song: "all i know is i gotta be where my heart says i oughta be..."

we're all going to be doctors (hopefully - i'm keeping my fingers crossed) and i'm sure you'll be happy anywhere you go. and jhug is right - it all depends on how comfortable you feel at the school, on your interview day or at an open house or meeting with friends that go to the school.