AZCOM living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got some on-campus living info. I realize due to everyone's differing circumstances a lot of you aren't able to live on-campus. If all of you could, though, would you live on-campus? I'm trying to cope with the fact that the cost of living is quite a bit more in Glendale, AZ than in Texas. But, it looks like you can save considerable $$$ by having a roomate. Everyone I have talked to here at home has said do not have a roomate for your first year. Any current AZCOMers have any advice about on-campus housing, roomates, etc.? Do you really save a lot of money in the long run by living on-campus? Also, what do current students do as far as workout facilities go? From what I see there isn't any on-campus. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Titan,

I live on on-campus housing. As far as money goes, It depends on where you want to live. If you live farther away from campus, then you'll definitely find cheaper rent and save. If not, off campus housing around campus is generally the same. Off camous housing rent is generally cheaper, but when considering electricity, gas, phone, internet, etc. it works out to be the same if not more.

As far as the roommate situation goes, it just matters how you get along with others. If you personally can handle a roommate then go for it. If you like privacy on the other hand without any distractions then go that route.

There are many benefits living on-campus. You can wake up at 7:55 am and still make your 8 am class. You have acess to the library at all times. There are many places to study on campus and off campus. You have fast internet connection and free cable. To me, living on campus has helped me to focus on studying and not goofing off.

The down side is that you never really get away from school when you feel like it. Occasionally like once or twice a semester students do tend to have parties and it does get rather loud. The school is really working hard to rectify the situation though. Oh yeah, no pets either. Housing will fill up fast, so apply early if you decide that's what you want. The PA class for this upcoming year will accomodat 100+ new PAs.

Hope this helps, couldn't bare see your message go unanswered.

Thanks for the info. and for not letting my post die!

Members don't see this ad :)
titan,
i had similar questions about housing at AZCOM, but i have not received my housing info yet. I appreciated the reply with some other input. I am planning on living on campus because I thought it would be convenient, and a good way to get to know other people. Since I don't know the area at all, I figured it would be easier to just live on campus for the first year. I agree that you could save a lot by having a roommate, but I think that I may choose the single route for convenience, privacy, and so that my family can come visit without being an inconvenience. Just thought i would share my thougts on the topic...
see you in august

afigursk,

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing!