AZPOD Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a podiatric physician last week who had recently been in AZ. He said that the pod students DO NOT take classes with the DO's, but take classes with PA's. I was quite positive that this was not the case. However, he swore it was.
I looked on AZPOD's website and it states that the curriculum is integrated with other "health professionals" but said nothing specific.
Can an AZPOD student clarify this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into the program and during my interview tour, we visited the DO classes in session. DPM students were our guide and they were pointing out dpm students in the course. The DPM students DO take classes with D.O. students. However, there are some courses where other programs are integrated. I believe all science courses are integrated with D.O. students.

jonwill said:
I was talking with a podiatric physician last week who had recently been in AZ. He said that the pod students DO NOT take classes with the DO's, but take classes with PA's. I was quite positive that this was not the case. However, he swore it was.
I looked on AZPOD's website and it states that the curriculum is integrated with other "health professionals" but said nothing specific.
Can an AZPOD student clarify this for me?

I am a second year podiatry student at AZPOD, we take all of our 1st and 2nd year core sciences courses with DO's, Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Neuroscience,Path, Pharm, Micro etc. We only take one course with the PA's and that's Physical Diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
desertpod said:
I am a second year podiatry student at AZPOD, we take all of our 1st and 2nd year core sciences courses with DO's, Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Neuroscience,Path, Pharm, Micro etc. We only take one course with the PA's and that's Physical Diagnosis.

It should be pointed out that this one course, Physical Diagnosis, is a summer course. It is taken when the osteopathic medical students are on summer break. Consequently, it is taken with the PA students. This is correct isn't it, desertpod?

Also, for the original poster, what you heard that podiatrist say is absolutely fallacious. I have been going to Midwestern for a year and a half and the osteopathic and podiatric medical students have ALWAYS taken the same classes during 1st and 2nd year (minus the Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine classes).

I was quite positive that was the case. This doctor must have misunderstood something.

One more question for you azpod-ers. Are there any plans to become a "college of podiatric medicine" or is azpod content remaining a program in the college of health sciences?

jonwill said:
I was quite positive that was the case. This doctor must have misunderstood something.

One more question for you azpod-ers. Are there any plans to become a "college of podiatric medicine" or is azpod content remaining a program in the college of health sciences?

Once we graduate our first class in 2008 we will become fully accredited and AZPOD will become Arizona College of Podiatric Medicine a stand alone college at MWU.

AZPOD Rocks said:
It should be pointed out that this one course, Physical Diagnosis, is a summer course. It is taken when the osteopathic medical students are on summer break. Consequently, it is taken with the PA students. This is correct isn't it, desertpod?

Also, for the original poster, what you heard that podiatrist say is absolutely fallacious. I have been going to Midwestern for a year and a half and the osteopathic and podiatric medical students have ALWAYS taken the same classes during 1st and 2nd year (minus the Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine classes).

Yes that is correct. PA's have to be bulletproof on the history, physical and diagnosis aspect of medicine so the training in this course is top-shelf. Physical Diagnosis is taught by Dr. Myer, an M.D.

desertpod said:
Once we graduate our first class in 2008 we will become fully accredited and AZPOD will become Arizona College of Podiatric Medicine a stand alone college at MWU.

I hope we keep the name, AZPOD, when this happens, however. It is so much easier to say. Plus, I'd have to change my name if it does change... lol.

AZPOD Rocks