AZPod v DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Hegemony

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to DMU. I suspect you'd be well served by either. The Arizona students I met on the road were sharp. I'm not from the north, but I personally found Des Moines to be a safe, charming, affordable town. The area around the school essentially consists of a "medical student ghetto" located within a wealthy neighborhood with easy trail access and right next to downtown. I doubt it has anything close to Phoenix as far as recreational opportunities or the nightlife of some of the east coast schools. I wouldn't fret the resident location issue. Des Moines puts a lot of people in the Midwest because of the students are from there and that's where they want to be. A similar bias exists for NYC and their students.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by surgery center - there is a surgical training "training" area on campus. You learn to scrub in there, but it isn't like there are elective cases happening there unless something has drastically changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Both of them are great schools like you said but honestly, I think you should go to a school that provides you the most convenience and best fit for you (campus, area, student life, weather, etc.) Sometimes, I prefer schools based on how comfortable I feel being on that campus. For example, I remember that I had to pick a university that was more prestigious and better education but there was another school that had a good reputation but in terms of education is lower. However, I picked the one that I felt more comfortable with, which is the second school I mentioned.

Again, it's your decision and see how you feel about it! Congrats on the acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wasnt from Arizona, I would have gone to DMU. I liked the curriculum, the campus and facilities, and it was cheaper. Neither is a bad choice as they both consistently have high board and residency placement rates. Pick the environment youd be happiest in as this will lead to greater success in school. That should be the main factor

Reactions: 1 user
If I can piggyback off of this thread, I have a question. Does anybody (perhaps current students) think that I would be missing out/hurting myself if I chose to go to Scholl/Kent/Temple over DMU? I did like the school itself, but being from the east coast I really just wasn't feeling the area; and my gf has a 100% better chance of getting a job at the other 3. I felt more at home at the other 3 schools and they all seem more than capable based on interview day so I was just curious if people at these schools could share their thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
First year at AZpod. I had the same choice to make and I went with AZpod. From the Midwest but it just felt like a better fit. You will get a good education at either. What it came down to for me is where did i want to spend 4 years of my life. I figured that I'd give warm weather a try and I love it here. I have a friend from undergrad that hoes to DMU and loves it there also. Can't go wrong with either. What it a going to come down to is how hard your willing to work once you get to whatever school your at to prepare yourself for residency and your future career.

If you have further questions about AZpod, feel free to message me.

I've been accepted to both AZpod and DMU. I'm honestly having a very difficult time. I broke it down and I'll essentially be paying about 100,000 more if I attend AZPod. As of right now, I'm leaning towards AZPod for a variety of reason however curriculum really isn't one of them because DMU and AZPod aren't really that different, from what it seems. I'm having a rough time justifying 100,000 more dollars. Perhaps someone can help me justify all this extra money... :(

I've been accepted to both AZpod and DMU. I'm honestly having a very difficult time. I broke it down and I'll essentially be paying about 100,000 more if I attend AZPod. As of right now, I'm leaning towards AZPod for a variety of reason however curriculum really isn't one of them because DMU and AZPod aren't really that different, from what it seems. I'm having a rough time justifying 100,000 more dollars. Perhaps someone can help me justify all this extra money... :(
There is no justification. Go to DMU and after you graduate you can buy yourself 2 nice cars and place a down payment on a decent home with the money you saved.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with SmurfeyD, If its gonna be 100K cheaper, learn to like cold weather and go to DMU.

I was accepted to both and can give you my thoughts

DMU likes to hype itself up, and for good reason. However, I'll give my TLDR review; Both schools are the top for Podiatry. AZPOD I feel like is an overall better school, but just by a bit.

Personally, I liked AZPOD's curriculum more because they did quarter system and you arnt taking on 5 classes at a time, instead taking on 4.

AZPOD was much better location wise. I would rather have extreme heat in summer and no snow/cold than nice summer and bone-chilling sub zero temperature in winter.

Both are about on par academic-wise, but I believe AZPOD had 100% pass rate for boards this year. On the other hand, DMU had 100% residency placement (AZPOD had 1 unmatched grad).

As far as rotations, I liked DMU because all of third year was at DMU IIRC.

This is going to be controversial, so bear with me. I got more of a vibe that DMU students had something to prove, parity-wise, with the DO students and almost had a chip on their shoulder for not being DOs. Matching with that however, I felt that DMU pod students were treated as equals to the DOs on campus, where at AZPOD, it seemed that the DOs held themselves in a higher regard. I noticed a lot more DO to Pod interaction and smiling between DMU students vs AZPOD students on interview day, if that makes sense. Its a quiet nuance, but something I picked up on.

In turn, AZPOD students were generally more chill, but then again, that could all be dependent on the class year. I also really liked the open door policy at AZPOD, a vibe I didnt get at DMU.

Hope those thoughts help.

Agreed with SmurfeyD, If its gonna be 100K cheaper, learn to like cold weather and go to DMU.

I was accepted to both and can give you my thoughts

DMU likes to hype itself up, and for good reason. However, I'll give my TLDR review; Both schools are the top for Podiatry. AZPOD I feel like is an overall better school, but just by a bit.

Personally, I liked AZPOD's curriculum more because they did quarter system and you arnt taking on 5 classes at a time, instead taking on 4.

AZPOD was much better location wise. I would rather have extreme heat in summer and no snow/cold than nice summer and bone-chilling sub zero temperature in winter.

Both are about on par academic-wise, but I believe AZPOD had 100% pass rate for boards this year. On the other hand, DMU had 100% residency placement (AZPOD had 1 unmatched grad).

As far as rotations, I liked DMU because all of third year was at DMU IIRC.

This is going to be controversial, so bear with me. I got more of a vibe that DMU students had something to prove, parity-wise, with the DO students and almost had a chip on their shoulder for not being DOs. Matching with that however, I felt that DMU pod students were treated as equals to the DOs on campus, where at AZPOD, it seemed that the DOs held themselves in a higher regard. I noticed a lot more DO to Pod interaction and smiling between DMU students vs AZPOD students on interview day, if that makes sense. Its a quiet nuance, but something I picked up on.

In turn, AZPOD students were generally more chill, but then again, that could all be dependent on the class year. I also really liked the open door policy at AZPOD, a vibe I didnt get at DMU.

Hope those thoughts help.

I actually live in colder conditions now than I would in Des Moines! Haha!
I can kind of agree with everything you said.
One added comment and something that keeps turning me away from DMU was my interview. This shouldn't even turn me away but for some reason it is. I had an awful interview and its not that i did bad. I absolutely hated the way they hammered me with questions and for some reason the students in the interview came off as stuck up to me. I felt like I wasn't being respected in a sense. It gave me a very bad vibe. The professor in the interview also didn't seem as friendly as i had hoped. Overall, I had a much better visit day at DMU. The students giving the tour knew so much about campus and took us to see everything. It was honestly all perfect.

At midwestern I was interviewed by the Dean and honestly had a very fun relaxing experience. I felt they were actually listening to me and took a serious interest in my past. The visit day was pretty good however the students giving us the tour were first years and unable to answer some of the questions i had for them. When we went to the cafeteria we had two currents students come and eat with us, which was really nice.

Overall I like AZPod better, but did I like it that much more that I'm willing to spend approximately 100,000 more? IDKKKK :(

Its a hard decision.

I absolutely loved all the Pod faculty at AZPOD. I really felt they were there on behalf of the students and not the institution. You notice it in the small things. During interview, we got to meet all the office staff. You could see a poster on the wall with employment opportunities (very important). The students were just much more chill too at AZPOD.

If it were me, I would go to DMU. 100K difference is just too much. When I was running the numbers, I was closer to 50K difference. You must have gotten a great scholarship.

One added comment and something that keeps turning me away from DMU was my interview. This shouldn't even turn me away but for some reason it is. I had an awful interview and its not that i did bad. I absolutely hated the way they hammered me with questions and for some reason the students in the interview came off as stuck up to me. I felt like I wasn't being respected in a sense. It gave me a very bad vibe. The professor in the interview also didn't seem as friendly as i had hoped. Overall, I had a much better visit day at DMU. The students giving the tour knew so much about campus and took us to see everything. It was honestly all perfect.

At midwestern I was interviewed by the Dean and honestly had a very fun relaxing experience. I felt they were actually listening to me and took a serious interest in my past. The visit day was pretty good however the students giving us the tour were first years and unable to answer some of the questions i had for them. When we went to the cafeteria we had two currents students come and eat with us, which was really nice.

Overall I like AZPod better, but did I like it that much more that I'm willing to spend approximately 100,000 more? IDKKKK :(

I think it'd be crazy to spend 100,000 more to go to a school over another one that is arguably just as good, if not better. Its basically 3 years at the school, so to me, its not even close to worth spending 100,000 more to be in Arizona, even if you like it better. Your education at DMU would be top notch

Its a hard decision.

I absolutely loved all the Pod faculty at AZPOD. I really felt they were there on behalf of the students and not the institution. You notice it in the small things. During interview, we got to meet all the office staff. You could see a poster on the wall with employment opportunities (very important). The students were just much more chill too at AZPOD.

If it were me, I would go to DMU. 100K difference is just too much. When I was running the numbers, I was closer to 50K difference. You must have gotten a great scholarship.
Agreed. I can understand a few thousand difference. But 100,000 is literally 2 nice cars and a down payment on a home

You can't go wrong with either choice. Have to pick which one feels like a better fit. You have the rest of your life to make money. Had the same situation you had and I went with where I felt like I would succeed and excel the best with the way I learn.

I also don't know what numbers you used but 25k a year difference does seem like too much....

I expected my interview experience at DMU to be stressful because that's what I read from SDN feedback resources. Actually, it turned out awesome for me. I felt like I was given an opportunity to talk about myself and they have listened to me and provided feedback. We had a great conversation. After acceptance I have received calls from their students and they were willing to answer more questions. The other school I was also accepted is Scholl, but for some reason interview could have been better.
I like DMU because of smaller city, great campus, interdisciplinary education, lower tuition living costs, and a proximity to where I live and where my family resides.

Its a hard decision.

6,000 a year

100K!!!!!!

How is that even possible? haha. Living costs are probably the exact same for both schools and I know DMU gives scholarships, but not 25K per year scholarships.
I redid the numbers last night.. it’s closer to 80,000 but cost of living is slightly higher in Arizona and the tuition in Arizona is about 10,000 more per year. Also AZPod has a fee of 13,000 ( don’t really know what it’s for). Then DMU essentially gave me a 24,000 scholarship.

Is this automatic 6k for everywhere or you have to maintain 3.0.to get it?

You have to maintain a 3.0. Which, being with the DO students will be harder than you think.

Ask the people on the forums about how tough Med school is. Anything above a 79 is a personal A

You have to maintain a 3.0. Which, being with the DO students will be harder than you think.

Ask the people on the forums about how tough Med school is. Anything above a 79 is a personal A
Makes sense. Still, I heard somewhere that DMU gives 5k max.

Put in the work and you can get A's. Don't ever settle and say that's good enough.

Also I just looked up estimated 4 year budgets and DMU is about 240-250k and AZpod is between 265-300k depending on your spending, non-school related.

Also I just looked up estimated 4 year budgets and DMU is about 240-250k and AZpod is between 265-300k depending on your spending, non-school related.
not a huge difference.

Though, during DMU interview, they said that average total burrowed amount for all 4 years is around 160K.

I also plan to take no more than 35K per year.

not a huge difference.

Though, during DMU interview, they said that average total burrowed amount for all 4 years is around 160K.

I also plan to take no more than 35K per year.
You gonna live in a cardboard box? Haha

Sugar Mama!

I own a house and will sell mine with good profit, moving to IA will be a lot cheaper. Plus we will have income while I will be in school to support ourselves. I am married.